Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie with a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hogluvr, Feb 21, 2013.

1. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Trying to pick up a 1940 Oldsmobile, unfortunately it is 400+ miles away. Shippers want WAY too much too get it here, I would like to bring her back myself. Have a decent truck and a tow bar, but the tires on the car are older than dirt. Are there any modern tires/rims that will bolt up to it, so that I can tow it home? Specs on the 'net say it has 6.50x16 tires on it stock? Thanks in advance! :D

2. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Newbie needs to go back and read the rules and do a INTRO on the intro page before posting....:rolleyes:

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

Go to UHAUL and rent a trailer. After you do an Intro.

4. As already mentioned, get a U-Haul trailer and haul it back. If it's going to be a short haul, less than 1200 miles round trip, I generally will rent one near my home and return it to the same location. Around here you can rent them for $50.00 a day if returned to the same place. Good luck.

B.t.w... Tires are not your only concern when flat towing. Many other things can get you in trouble...

5. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I went like 250 miles or so one way with a uhaul trailer. I'd do it again. I think I paid like 40$ picked it up saturday morning brought it back sunday afternoon. wife and I drove there picked it up found a nce notell motel on the way back. all in all was a fun road trip. trailer+ gas+ motel & dinner = $300.

6. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto on the uhaul trailer. I have a 18 foot car trailer with a 2 foot beaver tail that I use for hauling tractors, but loading low cars is a real pain. I have rented a uhaul trailer three times and left mine at home. The uhaul is designed to haul cars. If I could buy one I would! With insurance for 10k (trailer is valued at 5k) it was 59 bucks three weeks ago.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Just remember the uhaul doesn't have a winch. I had to pull my deuce on with a lawn tractor. A come along will probably work

8. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

OK, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here. I was trying to find a quick answer while hashing out a deal while on my 30-minutes-of-internet-access-during lunch, sorry. Intro has been posted.

If I had a bigger truck the U-haul thing would work, unfortunately it's a V6 Dodge Dakota. It does ok hauling my heavy motorcycle trailer and a bike, don't think it would fare so well hauling a car trailer AND a car. Just looking into alternatives.

9. oltruckag

oltruckag

I woudn't flat tow anything behind a Dakota. Flat towing is done every day, but it's not my idea of a good time.

Fly out and rent a one way u-haul and trailer (or Hertz/Budget). Another option is the guys here on the HAMB that haul cars. I think they are pretty reasonable. What do you consider "way to much" to haul it 400 miles?

10. 73RR

73RR

...rent a uhaul truck with the trailer.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have used a u-haul trailer in the past to haul my '40 from Socal to Vegas, they are pretty smooth but very heavy. If I were you I would go with a package deal, truck & trailer. That way, if any problems arise, u-haul can help you out.

12. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah, that might be the way to go. I'm getting quoted $600-700 dollars to haul it 400 miles :eek:

I'm working with the guy right now, he may end up hauling it out for me.

13. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

You have to figure the hauling home as part of the deal. If it's too much for ya, don't get it, if ya gotta have it, figure it in the prise and go get it. Uhaul trailors are aluminium, not too heavy.

14. If your heap will flat tow it, it will handle the newer light weight U Haul trailers also. My 4.0 V6 Ranger is smaller than yours and I have towed a car trailer behind it. Just keep your wits about you, don't haul ass and leave space between you and the next dude. Once you start rolling, the truck won't know if its a trailer or not.

15. I tow everything with my 98 Dakota , but its got a 318 and load helpers etc . set to go , drives tows and flat tows better than my 84 ferd and its more comfortable just gotta watch out for the stupid people but that goes no mater what you drive or ride,

like said above id U-Haul it or get one of the guys on here that's set up for it ........ worth every penny .

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

do the math before you make the decision to haul it yourself.

cost of rental truck
    +
    cost of rental trailer
    +
    fuel
    +
    comealong
    +
    incidentals
    +
    time

17. I have hauled a bunch of cars with a trailer behind my Dakota V6. Its rough going up hills, kinda slow, but it will pull it.
    I say rent a Uhaul also. Their trailers are balanced right for hauling a car. No way would I flat tow a car that old,just asking for trouble.
    Just don't tell U haul what kind of car your are towing. Tell them its a 32 Ford coupe because they actually have that in their computer.

18. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Get ya a buddy with a trailer,and go get it...save the money and have some fun,when your done you will have a cool story to tell...

19. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah, I've got a few of those from running after bikes! :D

If the U-haul trailers are light she might be able to handle it, my motorcycle trailer is something I converted from an old landscaping trailer, it weighs over 1000 pounds unloaded!

20. BobMcD

BobMcD

What about a tow dolly? It's lighter.

21. roundvalley

roundvalley

Anyone ever rent a U-haul truck and sneek a car inside? I think I seen it happen but I have CRS!

22. ^^^^^done that on more than one occasion too............. just a matter of finding a loading dock on both ends of the run , need some really really long ramps other wise

23. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tow dollies are about as risky as flat towing a car you are unfamiliar with. One of the cars I hauled with the trailer I thought of using a tow dolly for. On the ride home on the trailer, one of the rear spring shackles failed. Turns out the underside of the car was far more rusted than it looked when I loaded it. If the shackle had gone towing it with the dolly, would have been catastrophic. Got to have good tires, suspension, bearings, etc if you go that route. If you have not seen the car I would not do it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. The biggest plus about renting a trailer is that they are equipped with surge brakes. You can go to U-Hauls web page and figure out the cost and whether your rig will work. Sometimes ya just got to tell them you're picking up something lighter.

25. big bad john

big bad john

..........Good advice......hauling car may be 400 miles of hell

26. Did you check with any of the 3 quality transporters here on the Hamb? BenD, Racinman or Myself. Please see the Hamb O Dex section for our adds

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Back to the original question. My buddy has a 41 Olds, it takes the same bolt pattern as a Chevy Astro van. 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Find a set with tires at a local junkyard.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  28. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

im pretty sure you need a 3/4 ton truck in order to rent the trailer from u haul, ask them, figure your time and gas plus getting some good tires for the old car and at least one spare, you might just realize having someone else haul it would be the way to go if you have the money,

29. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Nope.

I rented full car hauler and used my 07 V6 Wrangler. Pulled a 30 Tudor, Pulled great and Uhaul had no problems

Attached Files:

30. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I have a 01 v6 dakota quad cab and had to haul both over hilly terrain and on interstates with a 47 ford tudor sedan. sometimes it was a little slow on steep hills but not bad. that was 5 years ago and I still have the truck, so no damage done. U-haul didn't say anything about my truck. buy the insurance too

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013