Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap distrib HEI on Sleabay is good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Got this distrib hunting around today on Sleabay for $60. Anyone use one before? No big name, but I am broke and need a small dist to fit behind the tunnel ram. Hope I didn't jump too soon. It's new. HEI, and came with cap and rotor and ready to run. I will post the discription.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

3. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Sorry for the diff responses. Here's the description; please chime in and don't be afraid to tell me if I was suckered. Seems too good to be true!

This auction is for a brand new Ready to Run electronic distributor with a RED Cap. This distributor is for your Small and Big Block Chevy V8 engines 283 - 454. These top of the line distributors are the perfect upgrade over the out-dated points distributor, and is also a nice replacement for big, bulky HEI distributors. The small cap design makes it suitable for tight spaces in most makes and models. This Ready to Run distributor has machine polished aluminum housing with an adjustable vacuum advance, along with a simple 2-Wire hook up and brass bushings. This unit features an improved high performance module for use up to 7000 RPM and chromoly steel gear, making it a Great Addition to your classic Small Block or Big Block Chevrolet.

4. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

You were suckered.

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

New or used?

That looks like an msd cap?

6. bigvinny

bigvinny

my bro runs one on his nova, works fine

7. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

porkchop, I don't want to rain on your parade but throwing speed parts at your self-described 'chump motor' isn't going to do shit. I would suggest you get it running as well as you can in a stock configuration before you even think about mods. But, as they say around here- 'it's your car, etc'.

8. txturbo

txturbo

They suck....

9. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Got nothing to do with Speed parts. Can't fit the stock 70s HEI I have behind my manifold. I am gathering parts to make the ram all work out. My engine, while high in mileage runs fine. I didn't pick up the dist as a "speed part" whatever the hell that is? In fact, it states that it only runs up to 7 grand (so much for high Pro). Simply explained, with my tight firewall, the new ram, the fact that I hate points and don't want to change wires, I went with this setup. Just hope it's not too cheapo a deal. I accept it's prob from China. But half the stuff in Speedway is as well. Small block stuff is so mass produced, I would hope they can't mess this one up.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

They are cheap Chinese crap made by small children. I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. I can never understand how someone would spend thousands on a car and then buy a shit distributor.

11. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

New, I thoughtthe same about MSD, but the further descript says their caps will fit. Prob China knockoff.

12. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

13. upspirate

upspirate

That dist has been discussed on here before......I had bought one a few years back before I had joined and read the forum.

14. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

How about a 12 foot pole?

15. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Bad luck? Did it burn up? I suspect that's my biggest fear? Well, too late, I will fire it up soon enough and see.

What happened to the one you bought?

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Get a small cap HEI out of van at U-pull. Cheap and reliable. Sometimes you can't beat the R&D of stock parts. Think about it, OEM can't have a 10% failure rate on dist.

Ago

17. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Contacted the customer service @ Gearhead.com. The odd thing is their Ebay site has a 99.8 satisfied ratio in product/customer care? I checked out the post/link attached to this post and everyone keeps referencing that they needed resistors and an external coil. This thing is just plug and go (as per online rep). Don't know? Will see; too late anyway. Gotta stop Ebay shopping when watching my 6 month old son. I just blew some of his college funds on a Chinese Dist! I will fill in on this post as I get this thing and my crazy ass carbs bolted down and fired up.

The Pork

18. A Boner

A Boner

Get an old GM distributor and rebuild it with new parts made in CHINA???

19. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  20. slammed

slammed

A Pertronix conversion for the points system. Work's fine, looks authentic.

21. no55mad

no55mad

There are many of those distributors in use. Problem is getting a replacement module - but, the stock GM module will work as a replacement.

22. Remember that the feedback deal is done when you first buy something - not 3 months later when it fails.

23. a knock off cap. besides ...we have not made a spring clip cap like that since the big hair bands were in style ( 80's)

24. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

You completely missed my point. You have a manifold with a Qjet. Now you're putting on a tunnel ram and you have to buy a Chinese distributor so the tunnel ram (the speed part) will work. Wtf?

25. now thats funny....

26. n847

n847

^^^^^LOL...thats funny!

Seriously though just make sure you buy the coil that goes with it you can't use your old coil! It will be available from the same seller. I have the same one on my Plymouth It was purchased at a swap meet. I've run it on 2 different motors for the last 2 years and have yet to have a problem. That being said I will be purchasing another points dist and putting a pertronix points eliminator in it at some point. I just don't trust it long term.
    It is not to be confused with an MSD thats for sure!

27. you could use a pertonix set up with a stock distributor ( to fit in tunnel ram) or even our stuff and have better results......( remember guys/gals ...dont stay up late at night drinkin' and biddin') thats how you get in trouble....:D

28. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Buyers have 60 days to leave feedback.

29. lht

lht

taiwan ted junk

30. upspirate

upspirate

I decided to e-bay it w/o using....it's sitting on my desk in the box.

I'm using stock, small, points distributors with electronic conversions instead.

BTW, there is a rather large electronic box on the side that you need room for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.