Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any Borg Warner R10/R11 experts in the house?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 20, 2013.

1. I'm in the process of installing a GM 3spd O/D trans in my car. I pulled the old trans, put in a new clutch, installed the O/D trans and got the shift linkage and dash handle installed. I was doing some reading up on these setups and it is supposed to freewheel when the trans is in O/D mode (dash handle in) and lock up when it is out of O/D mode (dash handle out). So.....Here is what I got going on. With the handle out and the trans in gear it is locked up and will not freewheel. With the handle in (O/D mode) the trans does freewheel BUT ONLY IN ONE DIRECTION (FWD). It this correct? When I put it in reverse with the handle in it does lockup like it is supposed to. I was under the impression that it should freewheel in both directions. Can anyone gove me the scoop on this? Sorry for being so long winded!!
    Todd

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I believe the reason that they lockup in reverse is that the planetary gear set in the OD unit is mounted on a one-way bearing (or a sprag clutch in other parts of the english speaking world). This bearing allows the gears to freewheel when the drive shaft is rotated in one direction (fwd), but not in the other (rev).

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

3. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

When you put the trans in reverse , it locks out the od. It will not freewheel in reverse. The od only works in forward gears. If it were not locked out in reverse it would make a mess out of the gears. When in od and you park the vehicle, always put it in reverse and it will not roll away. Hope this helps Hud

4. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

right you are

5. Thanks for the replys. When it is O/D it only freewheels in the forward direction. i.e. with the car on jackstands and the trans in O/D 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear you can only spin the rear wheels in the fwd direction not reverse. Is this correct?
    Todd

6. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

correct