Register now to get rid of these ads!

300 I-6 Ford Fuel Injected To Carbureted Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Has anyone ever took a 4.9L fuel injected 300 I-6 Ford and made it carbureted? I'm looking for a carbureted 300 in my area, but I've got a feeling that they are all going to be fuel injected when they show up so I just want to cover my bases now. So has anyone converted a fuel injected to carbureted? What all will I need? What problems did you run into?

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I would suggest a Clifford intake manifold, with the carb of your choice and maybe even a Clifford header with a early distributor ....
    Thats all ya need to make er run. I have done a couple of these......

3. That's what I was thinking. Then I started thinking to myself that maybe it couldn't be that simple. I'm glad that some things still are. :D

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

I would keep the efi exhaust manifolds.

5. What do those look like? Are they split?

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I just looked the new aluminum intake from Clifford is $299 , not bad for a new intake manifold....

7. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

The EFI exhaust manifolds are split. I wish I had known that when I built my 300!

8. Cool and cool. :D

9. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

Go to fordsix perfomance.com. More info than ya need.

10. I will do that. Thank you.

11. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I'd be tempted to use the lower half of the EFI intake with six small one barrels on it... but i'm weird that way.

12. gfr220

gfr220

Ford built these from 1965 till 1996. First motor I ever rebuilt great motor. I have had both motors in trucks. The one I have now is 1996 EFI with 400,000 miles bought it brand new. With EFI no worries and now breakdown. Matter of fact the 1955 270 C.I. Hemi I am rebuilding will have EFI

13. flyin54

flyin54
    from modesto ca

You will probably have to run an electric fuel pump, I know some or all EFI motors are not machined for a fuel pump. I don't think the cam has the lobe for the fuel pump, either that or it's there and not hardened. It's been a decade ago and can't remember too clearly!

14. I'm putting it in a mid 70's F100, so I'm not too worried about having EFI. I've gotten use to carbureted since I've been driving it daily.

I think that it's awesome that you have almost a half-million miles on yours. Proves the brilliance of a great design.

You make an excellent point. Thanks for saving me a nasty surprise. I would have been pissed.

15. Garbz

Garbz

Ford changed the head in 87 to accommodate the EFI. This head and the EFI cam will need to be changed out to a head/cam better suited to carbs.

There are millions of 300s out there in trucks pre EFI.

Also if you have any below 40 degree temperatures in the area you live in you will need to heat the carburetor base, as the carburetor will freeze up.

An excellent combination is a 300 with a offenhauser 360, holley 390 CFM four barrel, EFI split exhaust and a RV cam. You can also get more lift on a stock cam if you use Chevrolet 250 six rocker arms.

Garbz

16. Bart78

Bart78

Just about every old farmer around here has and ford with a 300 in it. I would think they would be pretty easy to find. I was going to put one in a 66 bronco. But it was way to long. We ended up putting a cummins 4bt in it.

17. Believe it or not, found one last night and set up the details to go get it this morning. Carbureted baby!!! :eek::D

18. Here it is. Snowed a bit here this morning.

Attached Files: