Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Life of Riley Roadster - before McMullen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-Cal Speed Sacramento, Feb 19, 2013.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe the new owner will restore the car to this configuration?

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why dont more guys do bobbed stock rear fenders on highboys? It was real common back then, and it looks damn good. A nice break from the endless stream of fenderless, black, flatty powered highboys.

32Stoker and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The bobbing has to be just right...a little too long at either end and the car's rear looks FAT.

4. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I agree, that roadster was perfect until Tom got ahold of it.

5. Nobey

Nobey

Not only are the fenders bobbed just right, they rolled a bead in both ends...

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool -- I agree, this version of the roadster is much better. Thanks for the photos and story!

Malcolm

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Bobbed fenders were to keep the law off your ass. They used to come down hard on fenderless cars. I'm glad those days are gone.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  8. thequietwon

thequietwon

Really appreciate the pics, always like this version of the car. I know I am in the minority, but I never liked the McMullen version...

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

10. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I think the years have confused his grandfarther. The "Life of Riley car" was built and still owned by Jim Gripsma. Who lived in Bellflower, he was the neighbor to go to with your car for kids like Larry Watson and others. Jim still owns that and his 41 ford custom, and they are kept as they were back then. Jim now lives in the Bakersfield area, And his son is an Highway Patrolman. Jims car is the coupe on the mag cover. Roger

11. Cool video from the TV show. HRP

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/agJhDuiOZ7w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well yes and no,... there were a few different deuce roadsters to show up in the Life of Riley episode,... But on the bottom left corner of this article from Dec. 1956 Hot Rod,.... Does in fact show the Don Hudson Roadster.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the thread about it,.. including the entire TV show.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jimmyschev/Hot Rod Mag/1956/December/dec563.jpg

13. FWIW, In this version it had a torque tube and whn McMullin had it it had rear facing qtr ellipticals acting as upper control arms. But I get your jest. :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Mart

Mart

Wow, these are great photos. It's a very well known car and it's great to see these early pics. It's amazing what keeps turning up.

Mart.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yes,.... Ah,... but no torque tube, banjo..... and a Ford 427. Sorry couldnt find a bigger picture.

[​IMG]

16. Yeah, he went open drive, I do have some better HRM shots of it somewhere. I will add them here if I stumble upon the issue.

17. Jims35

Jims35

I have that December 56 magazine someplace in my collection. That's when i got bit real bad by the Hot Rod Bug , before that it was just nibbles.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for thread-pics & links

19. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

love it! thanks for the post.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The McMullen version was featured in HRM and in Popular Hot Rodding around the time it became open drive...from memory, I think HRM showed the early version with early Ford/Halibrand driveline, the other feature covered it after it went to a 4-speed and the Klentz Chevy/Ford hybrid quickchange. I might have the coverage reversed...
    I think I have small magazine article on it with earlier ownership and maybe one after M bought it but before he redecorated...
    McMullen stuff was always interesting, but after this car everything else he built was UGLY!

need louvers ? likes this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

cool vid hrp. those were the good old days. wish i were around then.

22. U-235

U-235

Just an opinion...but I think Tom should have never been envolved in that car.....

hotrod40coupe likes this.
  23. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

the 34 was in Riley also

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Speed Gems, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Cool thread! I love the early history.

25. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

thanks for posting.

-danny

26. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Cool Thread! Thanks for posting.

27. El Gato

El Gato

Hi Fellas
    I'm the guy So-Cal Sac was describing regarding cloning the original pre-McMullen '32 Roadster as built for "The Life of Riley" TV show. My Dad took the orignal photos in 1956 at the Norwalk State Mental Hospital Grounds. The orignal owner was my Dad's Excelsior High School buddy, Chuck Karnatz.
    Fast forward to 2014. Now in their 70's. Dad, Chuck and myself (56 yrs old) are partners on the finished clone. We call it "KR2" for "Karnatz Roadster #2". We tried to stay true to the original car, but due parts availability and funds, had to make a few changes.
    Engine: 1948 Ford 59A Flathead: 1/8” bored over, 4” Merc crank, 276 cu in, Ported & Relieved, Potvin Super 3/4 Cam, Sharp heads and manifold, 3x2 Stromberg 97s. Reds Headers.
    Body: 2-inch chopped windshield, New Age body, bobbed fenders, Stewart Warner gauges, black & white tuck & roll (Higgin’s Custom Upholstery, Chico, CA) Chassis: Blackboard Hot Rods frame, drilled 4-inch drop ‘34 Ford axle, Split and drilled ‘32 Ford wishbones, ‘56 Ford Steering Box, 1940 Ford Brakes, 1940 Ford Banjo Rear End 3:54 w/ open drive conversion, T-5 S-10 5-speed Transmission Model A rear cross member and spring.
    This is my first post, but I want to thank all HAMB'ers for technical postings that have been of great help!
    This is a Father & Son, owner built car. Some new photos below Eng side copy.jpg Lft Ft Qtr copy.jpg Side vu copy.jpg Rear Qtr copy.jpg Front copy.jpg Ft axle copy.jpg Int 1 copy.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Stogy, volvobrynk and Roadsir like this.
  28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Very cool, thanks for posting! That is a beautiful looking car.

Stogy likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh man! Just give me a minute to wipe up the drool!!!

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

32 Ford built by a senior... doesn't mean the same today as it did in 1956.