Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hackman Model-A With BURNOUTS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. I uploaded a pic of the front suspension. I opted for the 4 inch drop Super Bell axle and hairpin set up. I think this will aid to the 60's vibe.

On another note, my Fiance, Sammy did a pretty cool fashion shoot that just happened to be a PIN UP SHOOT!!!!! I have not seen the real pics but here are a couple that I took in my garage. I know you guys will like this.

Hackster

Attached Files:

2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very pretty Lady.. Where are all the trophies from??

4. Haha thanks guys. The trophys are from my motocross career. Some are also from car shows and drags. Thanks for checkin it out. Im still on schedual!

5. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Hey brother to the south...it's looking great! Sure does give me the itch to get going on mine again.

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice work on the A coupe, and good looking fiance!

7. The itch is all it takes man. What the hell else would we do in the winter up here? Good luck!

8. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

Nice progress. Nice looking lady too.
    Your T coupe is one of my favs.

9. Thanks for the kind words.

Have any of you guys with similar builds ever retained the use of the stock fuel tank? Im not set on this at all I was just more curious than anything.

Thanks guys
    Hack

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've used them on half a dozen builds.. They tend to seep around the original column drop but can be repaired.. It saves some space and if it was good enough for 'Henry' it's good enough for me...

11. Cool. That sounds good. I figured i would get it sealed before hand. Thanks Milo.

Hack

12. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

I will not use my original model A tank. On my rpu I will take it under my pick up bed. On the A coupe I will take in the trunk.
    I don't like fuel on top of my legs and the fume of gas in front of me.

13. Update on the ladder bar project.

So the plan is for this chassis to be able to handle a lot more power than the 283 would ever make. Hence the over building of the ladder bars and brackets. So the task of the past couple days has been to complete these parts and final weld them in place. So I machine up the bushing ends, bushings and inserts for the bars. The notch in the tubes was done by drilling a pilot hole in my table, clamping the ladder bars in place and using a hole saw to notch the tubing ends. Pretty simple but sometimes being clever is more important than having a bunch of machinery. I also welded the center supports at this time. Anyway, I snapped some pictures along the way. Thanks for checkin it out,

Hack

Attached Files:

14. I forgot to mention that I also have the front ladder bar brackets installed on the crossmember. I will postpone final welding of these parts just so I can tig them up nicely in position.

Next i will be trying to get this ol girl back on some rubber and mount the body. I have a nice set of 40 backing plates with hubs, and a 39 front end that will donate the spindals.

More to come
    Hack

15. Update,

Tonight I was able to get some time in the garage so I decided to strip the donor front end (39) for its spindles and steering arms. SO with that, I couldnt help but install a fender and a spindle and have a look at the much anticipated "tuck". I think its going to look pretty slick. I know the hub isn't correct but you get the idea. The tire in the pic is a 5.50 16 and may end up being a 5.0 16 but ill make the call when its on the ground.

What do you guys think,

Thanks
    Hack

Attached Files:

16. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Geez I should have hung around for a garage tour!

17. No kidding Kev! Maybe next time we will make a day of it.

18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

19. 32dreamer

32dreamer

WOW! Great skills and great build. Entertaining/ informative documentation as well. I'm subscribing to this thread as I think this will be awesome when finished. If I may add my .02- I would keep the fuel tank out of the drivers compartment. It's not worth the trade off IMO. Keep the pic's/ info coming. Looks awesome so far!!!!

20. Hey thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate that. And yes i opted out of the cowel tank idea. I will fab up a nice aluminum piece. Ill post pics and info.

Thanks
    Hack

21. I also gave up on the cowel fuel tank, In my two door sedan I moved the rear seat forward some and put a tank behind it. I also built a bulk head to seperate the tank area from the inside of the car.

22. forgot to say NICE BUILD!!!

23. I agree that the cons out weigh the pros for sure. And a bulkhead is a good idea too.

Do you guys usually run an outside vent or outside fill or? On the t coupe i ran an outside vent inside fill and its not too gassy.

Thanks
    Hack

24. TurboX2

TurboX2

I am going to run both outside, fill and vent. My car came with a 32 tank and cover that I started to use in this build but changed my mind to put it in the trunk and add a filler on the driver side of car between the body and trunk lid.
    Iknow you can build your own but, here is another option.
    Also I found an Alu. tank company that will build to your specs for cheap!
    http://www.aluminumgastanks.net/
    Sweet build!!!

25. Thanks for the info. Good luck on your build!

26. Update,
    This past weekend I had a huge help on the project. Firstly I want to thank my friend Brian for the 9 inch parts that I desperately needed. My good friend Conor, the photo bomber, (T top builder and wood working phenom) also was a huge help the past few days. So with that being the case, we got a lot accomplished. The body received its final trimming, both in the rear and firewall, and was placed on the chassis for the first time. We also put the body together and assembled the front suspension and set the weight on it. So this is what she is going to look like. I envisioned just exactly what I am seeing and with the help of some great people, its starting to take shape. I will get the rear tires mounted and have this baby rolling pretty quick. On to steering, pedals and seating as well as the wood install coming up.

Thanks for checking it out,
    Hack

Attached Files:

27. Rusty anarchist

Rusty anarchist
    from Edmonton

Wow looks like it's really starting to come together. Congrats sir

28. Bump for the morning crowd. I don't keep very good track of my late night building.

Tap'er Light,
    Hack

29. Hey thanks! I appreciate that. Got to keep on rollin!

Hack

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Are you getting new wood or going all steel in body ? I haven't seen any steel installation, the wood is prolly 5 times more expensive. Henry used wood because he owned a million acres of woods and it was a place time that the wagon mfg. was not totally obsolete. I will be watching ,subscribed , thanks for sharing.:)