Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a good carb rebuilder.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Feb 19, 2013.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

Opinions?

I am wanting to get the dual carbs on my Hudson 308 rebuilt. I have contacted one company already I heard about and feel they are a bit high on their prices. I also wasn't really thrilled with their lack of communication. Anyone have a shop they can recommend that will do it and do it right?

They are Carter and have a tag on them that says 9685

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Daytona Parts, 386-427-7108 They do it right. I buy all my kits from them I send them the tough ones. PM me if you want more info.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Last I heard God isn't rebuilding carbs any longer!

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Well that didn't take long..

6. raidmagic

raidmagic

You guys are so fucking helpful, thanks.

7. carb king right here on the HAMB is your man, tell him TR sent you, he doesn't do PMs, though so you have to call, his name is Jon.

8. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey raidmagic, I have a pair of Carters in my 52. They look similar to yours. WA-1s? anyway, I bought two new kits from Jon Hargrove, aka Carb King, and rebuilt them myself. If I can do it, anyone can. They have been fine for a few years now.
    Dom

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. Jon, 573-392-7378, 9-4 M-W C.S.T., hope that helps, TR

10. Mention my name and he will add you to his Christmas list, hope you like a slice of fresh Raisin Pie?

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

12. raidmagic

raidmagic

thanks for the contact info, Christmas lists are good!!:D

My concern with doing them myself is I'm not so sure there isn't any cracks in them and I don't have a way to test that (I assume they will test them for that). It is a running car but it loads up and they leak gas but not all the time. Might be an adjustment issue.

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

You know, the dethanol in the fuel does have an affect on the rubber in the old carbs. I originally had Carter YFs on this motor. I had the pair of WA1s under my bench until I asked carb king about them. His advice made me go with them. I haven't regretted it yet. If they are working, a good rebuild can only make them better. I would do it.
    Dom

14. boldventure

boldventure

I've used this guy. He's not local to you and not particularly inexpensive, but my car runs an awful lot better since he worked on the carb.
    http://www.tmpcarbs.net/

15. Custom parts Rebuilders
    509 So. Third
    Van Buren, Ar., 72956
    (479) 474 2009

They did my YF 1bbl back in October, it had sat under a carport unprotected since '93, and charged me $79.00. The engine purrs like a kitten!

16. Or tell him the beaner sent you. He is a genious with those old carbs and peddles his own kits to those who want to try in on their own.

Jon won't let you down.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Rebuilding is the aesy part the hard part is getting them dialed in.
    I can rebuild them and dial them in but whould have to get the car for that.

18. raidmagic

raidmagic

Jon's number just rings busy, does anyone know if it is still in operation?

19. DirtyDirk

DirtyDirk

I also had Custom Parts Rebuilders do mine on my 57 caddy. Only been a few weeks but so far it has been great.

20. oj

oj

I don't think Jon does them anymore. You might be able to talk him into it.
    I do them as well.

21. raidmagic

raidmagic

I just wanted to buy a couple kits. I bought them from Daytona Parts this afternoon. Thanks all

22. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Carb Xchange in El Monte, Ca. www.carb-x.com. Talk to Herman. I've used them several times...reasonably priced, outstanding work, quick turnaround time.

Chris

23. Normbc9

Normbc9

Another old pro with carburetors is Dick York in Franklin, IN. dickshotrodcarbs.com
    He has done several jobs for me and always got it right the first time.
    Normbc9

24. carbking

carbking

Jon's number IS busy much of the time. I usually have a "low battery light" on my left ear at the end of the day (I guess I should learn to write left-handed so I could also use my right ear ;) )!

And NO, I am no longer rebuilding carburetors; as the demand for rebuilding kits is currently at a 40 year high. Simply no longer have time to do much other than fabricate the rebuilding kits.

My apologies to those who have tried, and failed, to navigate our telephone.

One tip that might help my telephone situation ;). START YOUR ENGINE MORE OFTEN!!! Letting your engine sit without starting, allows the modern fuel to evaporate out of the carburetor. The evaporated fuel leaves a sticky, gummy residue that "glues" internal parts together and thus requires the carb to be rebuilt more often. :mad:

One other tip: if when disassembling your carb, you find a dried out leather accelerator pump, DO NOT DISCARD! Put enough light machine oil (3 n 1, Singer sewing machine, etc.) in a baby food jar to cover the leather and soak the leather overnight. The dried-up 40 year old leather pump when rejuvenated is still far superior to the neopreme pumps found in the less-expensive carb kits.

Telephone hours for either tech or sales are 9-4 Mon-Tues central time. The rest of the days find me at the lathe or milling machine making parts.

Jon.

25. BobMcD

BobMcD

Great tip. Thanks!