Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskool34, Oct 30, 2012.

1. olskool34

olskool34

Actually, those are not the arms that are going to be on it. I am going to run the tie rod over the wishbone with a shorter arm. I just used those because at the time, they were what I had available and I wanted it to steer to help me move it around.

2. olskool34

olskool34

Got the rear end in today with the torque tube and radius rods cut down. I moved the radius rod mount on the torque tube as far forward as I could so they wouldn't be super short. Came out nice. I also added some rear legs off the stock crossmember to strengthen the rear frame up, it did a surprisingly nice job. Next weekend we are going to plop the body back on so we can figure out steering and pedal placement. Now we are getting somewhere.

[​IMG]

3. olskool34

olskool34

4. Damn that looks great! I'd toyed with the idea of rear legs too. I bet it does wonders.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

NICE build, I'll be looking forward to more updates!

6. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Boy that is a darn nice looking car to begin with!

7. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks guys, my pops is really excited. Last week when he was over I found him sitting in the body holding the merc steering wheel like he was driving! Today I put the two factory front body mounts back on the frame, they were taken off by the previous owner. Ordered up some new body mounting blocks too as the originals were a little rotten.

This is what happened to the original chassis, it is now in Iowa and under this former coupe turned roadster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. englands54

englands54

Looking good so far..The fame has came together nice and looks good..Nice winter project..Hope you have a wood burning stove.. Cant wait to see the body on the frame.

9. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks Brian, I actually only have a torpedo heater in the garage at the moment. It gets is warm enough to work though.

10. olskool34

olskool34

Today pops and I got the body on the frame. We didn't get any help so thee engine lift held up the back while we held on to the front and rollet it over. I had to relocate the front body brackets which I thought was strange. The were about 2 inches to far back, the other body holes lined right up? Anyway it fits good, going to have to notch the firewall a bit but I think it will look ok. Tomorrow I am going to takle the steering box, already got it fitting the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. I believe that means it was for a certain body style or a 31 frame. The one on my old coupe was like that. It's supposed to be that way if 31 for sure.

12. olskool34

olskool34

That makes sense. I know it was a 4 door murray frame.

13. CruZer

CruZer

I guess I'm the first to say "You're a good son !!!" Your father must be very proud of you and happy to be able to share this build with you.

It is coming along great. I'll bet he can't wait to spin the wheels !!!

14. That car is looking great! All the same parts sitting on a shelf in the garage....man I need to get at my car!

15. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Its going to have the right LOOK! Keep it going.

16. lorodz

lorodz

looking great keep it up

17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I like how you retained the torque tube and original drive shaft, taking on that challenge, that's traditional hot rodding!!!! Keep up the great work!!!

18. olskool34

olskool34

He's actually really excited, after today we didn't know what to think other than" Man, that looks like a 1940's hot rod!"

19. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Looking great dude! Every time I see your '29 I fall in love with that car too. Keep up the good work.

20. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks for the compliments guys, it means alot. Today I had some time so I mounted the F-1 box. I cut the flange off of it and made a new one that resembled the A mount. I lined it up with the hole in the body and used a model a steering mount on the 32 style dash. It lines up really nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

I like where this one is headed.

22. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Diggin the build dude

23. Lookin good man

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. olskool34

olskool34

Today I did a little work on the dash. I had a 36 dash for the car but I was missing the waterfall trim and I really did not want to spend any more money on it so I sold it and bought a repop 32 style dash and had enough money left over to buy this dash insert. I think it is a 33-34 Buick. I made the red insert for it at work but do not know if I am going to stick with it or try tortise shell. Haven't drilled it for gauges yet so it looks kinda funny.

I also got the pitman arm/draglink figured out, I reversed the F-1 pitman arm so that the ball faces the frame (like a Model A) and I dropped the steering arm on the spindle a bit. It works great and looks kinda stock which was what I was going for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Wardog

Wardog

You're doing some really good work man. Thanks for for all the great info.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

26. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks Wardog, today I went out and got the pedals mounted. Had to heat up the brake pedal and bend it a couple ways to fit between the column and engine but I think I have it.

I have been thinking alot about the firewall, I spent three hours in the garage on Sunday brainstorming about it and I trimmed one side down but I just don't like how it looks. I think I am going to remove the factory firewall and make one that is completely flat and recessed in like a 32, I will just have too much time spent making the factory one to my liking. I really wanted to keep the stocker but it just will not work with my engine placement. I am going to pick up some steel tomorrow so this weeked I can start on it.

27. On the fire wall you could just flip it around. You'd gain room & keep it early ford

28. Elrod

Elrod

I was looking at that buick insert (I think it was that one) on ebay but passed. Good buy! Looks good!

29. englands54

englands54

This thing is looking badass... Wow love the updates..

30. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

I gotta say you east coast and midwest guys are hardcore, I mean working in the snow and cold. makes me ashamed.. keep up the good work!