Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is This really a 36 Chevy Coupe Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheWookie, Aug 17, 2012.

1. blackanglia

blackanglia

They are making import like that too...... sorry had to do it. [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS and Tim like this.
  2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Yes these were often used by nurserys. It appears this one might have broke down making a delivery.

VANDENPLAS and Tim like this.
  3. TheWookie

TheWookie
    from Laveen AZ

Thanks for the help. Here are some more pics. I tried to make them as crappy as I could for you guys. The more I look at it the more I believe it is a factory coupe pickup. So I will be putting the bed back in it. The stuff I have seen online about the 36 version of this says that there are only bout 10 of them around!

Some one asked about the doors all the insides were metal. Someone screwed Volkswagen innards to them I will need to fix that.

I'm not sure I want to mess with the body too much I really like the natural look it has at the moment but we will see. I have a 29 chevy thats pretty nice and I bought this thinking of a keeping it a beater. Always open for suggestions. I should be starting the build in a month or so I have a 62 f350 I am just about wrapped up with.

Attached Files:

4. TheWookie

TheWookie
    from Laveen AZ

are both those 36's pardon my dumb question but the rear fenders are sick. The fenders I have seen on the 36's are not nearly as nice.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've got a guy out this way, rolling this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Sears or Motgomery Ward sold Kits to make a truck out of a Model "A" coupe. It was all bolt in,no cutting involved. They show up on E-Bay quite often.

7. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I love it, I also plan to run it bare for now. Mine was a Apache Navajo Telephone systems car in Holbrook from 36 to 55. I have all the registrations for it. The earlier 36s had all wood framing in the doors, among everywhere else! Mines solid but I rebuilt the doors with 1inch tubing and now they shut perfect. Glad to see your going to put it back to truck duty.

8. codeblu

codeblu

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I love the side mount spares on those Chevies...

9. TheWookie

TheWookie
    from Laveen AZ

From what I can tell only on the 36 coupe pickup had the side mount spare. The regular coupes had it mounted on the rear valance and then after 36 they were under the bed or in the trunk. I am going to have to modify a fender to recreate that on this car or maybe run truck fenders. I have an original spoked wheel from this car to use as the spare.:D.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Came across this one quite a while ago..

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  11. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

They do have an insane amount of space...especially the business coupes.

Here's a print that shows a '38 coupe and sedan delivery.

Coupe Pick-up
    This most useful unit is a Master passenger car business coupe with a pick-up box in the rear. A rear deck lid, by which the truck can be converted into a coupe when the pick-up box is removed, is furnished. The load space is 66 1/8 inches long, 38 7/8 inches wide, and 12 inches to the top of the flare-boards.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're serious about turning it back into a PU, I have an original Chev coupe PU box. PM me if you're interested. In the spirit of the original post, here's a really crappy pic. :D

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. that coupe is really cool, i like it, as a beater, i do not think it looks "hot rod" with a pickup box. [just my opinion].
    by the way i viewed it through a crumpled up sheet of dirty plastic wrap to get the full effect:D

14. Well after seeing that pos the coupe pickup looks really good. :eek:

15. dbildvil

dbildvil

This is what the '36 Chevy looks like when we brought it to the garage, it should be ready for the next season...I'll post pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

Yep, I have heard that too.

17. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

the 38 Olds coupe project I had, had one of those bed kits in it, mostly all rusted away . The car was ruff so I traded it off for someonthing a lil more solid . Australia actually got the Utes back then, I want one of them, there is one that turns up at the Easter show in STL

18. 38 Wayne

38 Wayne

I'm no expert, but my father had a 1937 Coupe pickup dealer installed and have seen a 41 factory installed. P/U beds were available as a factory or dealer installed option.

Factory models would have a "P" suffix on the firewall mounted data plate. Dealer installed would not.

A correct bed requires no modification to the body, it's a straight bolt in after removing the deck lid.

Have also heard them called a "Foreman's Pickup", still usable for ranch work with the "luxury" of a car. Seriously rare and if I recall very expensive at the time. Option sheet I have for 1937 shows $150 over the base coupe cost of $695.

Attached Files:

19. That is an old myth. Ration stickers were issued according to the necessity of the driver in question. Nearly everyone got an A sticker. That got you 4 gallons a week. Essential personnel like defense workers got B sticker. Very essential people, like doctors got C stickers. Truckers got a T sticker which allowed them all the fuel they wanted, but the T sticker was not issued to the vehicle, nor were any of them. They were issued to the individual driver, based on what the government decided he needed. You could stick a bed on the back of your old beater and it would not get you one addition drop of gasoline. People converted their cars because they wanted or needed a pickup

Fortunateson likes this.
  20. lht

lht

yea my cousin opie has one up in mayberry

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My Chevy spotters guide listed a coupe with a side mount in 1936 as a "Expediter" available with a pickup box. I think I've seen where the box slides to aid in load/ unloading

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. raymay

raymay

Chevrolet started the removable pickup bed in the trunk idea in 1926 but only did it for a few years. Several auto makers also used the same idea. In 1936 Chevrolet brought the idea back building 3,183 of them. It was offered in their Standard Coupe just like the one you have. They continued to offer this option which had become less popular until 1942 when only 206 were made.
    Holden of Australia was and still is manufacturing their "Ute". This was a version of a pickup built on a car platform. Many of the older Ute's are based off of American designed cars. Very few were ever imported to the United States. In the 50's the American car companys came up with their own versions like the Ranchero and the ElCamino.
    I always like the Holden Ute but found that the 1956 Ute did not look like a 56 Chevy and GM did not come out with their ElCamino untill 1959 so I made my own.
    Have fun with your build. You got a nice rare piece.

Attached Files:

23. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

Bill that runs the VCCA chat site just bought one of those as well, same year. They are really rare if they are the factory built ones. During the first year(1936) the tray did not come out of the trunk. The other years it was removable, and a trunk lid could be added.

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

So thats what they mean by 3 on the tree.

25. There are some folks here who have a 1963 Buick Riviera with a small
    pickup box in place of the trunk. Don't know if it was an aftermarket
    item purchased, or if they had it custom built. I used to have a picture
    of it, but don't currently know where it is. The car has been maintained
    in excellent condition, last I saw it. They may still have it in their
    garage.

26. ...I knew they made these, almost bought a 36 once,...here's a farmer built 38 I drew up recently...
    [​IMG]

27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Do I not remember gas rationing stickers applied to the car in the lower right hand corner of the windshield and/or was their a rationing book that got filled out with every purchase?

28. Hahaha - good one!! :D:D

Steve

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here now is the complete story found on the net...

...as more and more tankers became victim of U-boats, gasoline became in short supply for civilian use. OPA set up what was called a 'mileage rationing' program and upon <NOBR>application</NOBR> at the local rationing board (made up of civilian volunteers from each community) one was issued a rationing book and a sticker for the windshield depending on one's occupation or vehical usage. A, B, and C were not the only stickers, although those were the most common as they were for private vehicular use. The A coupon was good at first for 4 gallons per week, later reduced to 3. The B and C were good for a couple of gallons more, with C being good for the most. As I remember, each book contained enough coupons for a month or two and when the book ran out one had to re-apply for a new one. The <NOBR>coupon books</NOBR> were not transferable and had to be surrendered if the car was sold. Nobody ever traded for a new car as there weren't any new cars.

30. camshaft459

camshaft459

I have a 1937 Chevy coupe pickup. I restored it from a true barn find. I was working in Iowa in 2004 and found it in a mans barn, purchased it foe $2000.00 and restored it. Found out there are very few still around and it is really neat going to car shows and seeing people that are amazed that they never heard of one.

Attached Files: