Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today sucked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 226 flattie, Feb 17, 2013.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey, sorry about you paint job!

Life is simple, eat, drink and do the stuff that makes you happy.

For a non-beliver like me, there is three that is Holy: ones wife, ones kids and ones CAR!
    If you do anything to these three thing above, you will have to take the shit that comes out of that!

Give em hell, they has to make it right again.

2. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Keep us posted with updates. Here's hoping there are still some logical parents with good sense and values for you to get this resolved WITHOUT insurance companies and further Cop Shop BS. Back when, a eye for a eye would be suitable and get results. In todays real world, you would be singing that past country hit,"I'm in the jailhouse now"!!! Good luck to Ya.

3. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

I will keep everyone posted with updates.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Shit happens and it sucks. But, it was just primer and that is exactly why primer is not a finish coat. Not your fault they are a-hole kids doing stupid crap. But is all sort of just how life goes. Bird or tree crap could likely do about the same amount of damage. It's just primer, block it out as you say and have them shoot another coat on it. If you plan on leaving it in primer for any length of time, prepare yourself now to do it again at some point soon. Obviously put a real finish coat on it as soon as you can.

5. That sucks, and I guess you could just say kids are stupid and don't think about the value of someone else's stuff. Being that California is piece of crap state that seems to work more for the one breaking the laws. Hopefully things work out for you with this situation.

6. Hey, Diavolo. Retired insurance agent here. You're on the right track as far as wariness over making claims that could be resolved in other ways. It's convenient to hand a vandalism claim over to your insurer, let them try to collect from the guilty party(s), and hope your insurer will get some or all of your deductible back for you. If they don't collect from the other party, then that claim, added to three or four non-weather-related losses within three years' time could result in your insurer non-renewing the physical damage part of your coverage. No comp, no collision. Try finding that elsewhere a la carte. In my state and others, that's what they'll do. Windshields, vandalism, flood, they can all count toward nonrenewal of that physical damage coverage. They don't have to be your fault. Maybe in NM it's a surcharge instead of the nonrenewal of the physical damage. You may want to double check on that, and maybe adjust deductibles upwards to save on the small losses you may not want to submit anyway. You sound like one of the sharp guys who has high deductibles already.

The annoying part about making a comp claim on a loss like this, is if your insurer fails to collect from the guilty party, whether that failure results from the insurer's lack of stamina, wanting to cut their investigative or potential collection/litigation expense, you'll have no say in the matter. If they don't collect from the guilty party, it'll count as a loss tallied against you for potential nonrenewal. If they do collect 100%, you'll get 100% of your deductible back, and the loss won't count against you for nonrenewal.

Well, there you go, clear as mud and worth every penny you paid.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

It amazes me at how many "car guys" are so nonchalant about your paint/primer being screwed up! If it was my car and as you should be I would be severely pissed off, hell I'm pissed off and it isn't my car. So when anyone else's car on here gets vandalized that takes the get over it attitude towards Flatties car please don't post a damn thing about it, just get over it and spend your own money to fix other assholes mistakes. Sorry about your car!

8. Cracker123

Cracker123

I had to chuckle a little when I read this, it reminded of my daughter a few years ago. When she got her license, I got her a nice little used car to go back & forth to school, etc, and she was so happy; the first thing she did was pull out the hose & get the wash bucket out so she could wash her new car and make it all shiny. I am not sure why she thought the 3M scrub pads would be good for car washing though! (thank goodness it was just an old Camry!)

9. That sucks bud,hope you get it put right without being out of pocket and they learn not to touch other peoples stuff. JW

10. Diavolo

Diavolo

Eloquently put. Here, it depends on the company. Some will just drop you others jack up the rates. I found this out the hard way when I was reviewing policies after my divoce and found that those "free" windshield chip repairs were counted and paid by my insurance company and would take 3 years to fall off the policy. She had done 3 of them in 6 months...

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Have you tried washing it with something like Simple Green to save the primer?

12. jesse1980

jesse1980

No one has a "a get over it attitude", everyone would handle the problem differently, we all have opinions, and react differently to things. We all feel bad, but some of us ain't that dramatic.

13. Something similar happened to me once a long time ago. A neighbor had their house papered, trashed, etc. In the process, the boys got carried away and broke some of my fence, scratched my car etc. I went over to the neighbors house, talked to the dad and pointed the fact that "he" was not responsible, but to some degree "his daughter" was. I ask if he could get his daughter to help out. The next day several boys showed up with tools, repaired the fence and gave me a $100 to get the car repaired. Not enough to do so, but the thought was enough for me. The next weekend the neighbors had a BBQ at their house and invited us over. Those boys were there and were on their best behavior.

Those nieghbors have been our close friends now for over 40 years even though we moved away about 35 years ago.

Try it,,,,just maybe it could work for you too. Nothing tried, nothing gained.

14. No surprise there. That the LE's usual response to property crimes.

15. daddio211

daddio211

Primer, by design, is porous right? If the oils from silly string and whipped cream have stained the primer I don't know if you'll be able to block it out. I would think it would "seep" through all the way to the metal. I would think the contaminants would spread and come back out through the finished paint eventually.

I'm not any sort of expert on paint or primer and I'm just throwing ideas out there. Paint and body guys, am I completely wrong?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. jazz1

jazz1

'that's unfortunate but if you want to keep a "traditional" flat paint job seal it with a couple light coats of satin Klearcoat to protect it otherwise you waste a whole lot of time trying to keep it clean,,in fact putting clear on right now after washing the car the stains would likely disappear..I had stains on my flat paint that i had said"fuckit" they not coming out,,when I put the clear on they diappeared.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would contact their watch commander, it's still a crime and requires a report. Then contact your councilman or mayor to tell him about the service you received.

18. In 1977 I bought my fist new vehicle a 77 f-150 4x4 stepside in beautiful midnight blue....As luck would have it my neighbor had an old blue pick-up and was cheating on his girlfriend with someones wife...you know the rest of the story her husband found my NEW (2 day old) truck in my driveway and keyed both sides, thinking its blue its on the same street so why not...So it was fixed but god damn it, it was new and now had both sides repainted.....To this day I have never got over it....Wow some people are just idiots and ass holes!!!

19. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

Be careful with Simple Green my neighbor put some on still warm from driving alloy wheels when he sprayed it off it fogged the clear coat.

20. YAPP

YAPP

If you read further in his posts the OP stated that he got a file number which means the "asshole cop" took a report and did his job.

To the OP
    Three hours is not a long wait in SoCal for a cop to show up to a past property crime involving juveniles and vandalism where the suspects are no longer at the scene.

And

There is no punishment for juvenile crime...shit there's no punishment adult crime anymore. There are no consequences for bad behavior anymore. Parents dont punish, criminal courts dont punish, and people, for the most part, no longer take responsibility for their actions.

That's why it takes the "asshole cop" 3 hours to show up. He's got a shit load of reports to write about a shitload of other screwed up situations just like yours and some much worse (plus a stop for donuts and a coffee).

I'll step off my soap box now.

I'm sorry your car got screwed up. I don't know how to fix it. I'm sure they did not intend to damage it and, in my day, contacting the parents would have resulted in my sorry butt being at your house bright and early every AM to make good on the repairs.

I wish you the best of luck and a happy outcome

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Guys I just got home from the pd. just to let everyone know in my city the pd responds quickly for all matters . They would even give a ticket to a dog jay walking if the dog could sign the ticket . That's how on top of things they are in this city. As for the officer he has a thing about old cars and hot rods . He does not like them and makes it a point to hassle everyone about their rides. ....

I had the opportunity to speak with a Sargent and they will be doing a follow up with the neighbors to contact and interview all involved parties. I talked to the neighbor girl before she left for school and told me she knows who did it and will let them know the police is involved . Her parents are very upset and wants to see my car get repaired.

We will see what happens .

22. John62

John62

I tend to agree with this. We have all been young before and for must of us, our teenage years were punctuated by acts of stupidity. Hopefully the opportunity comes up for those responsible to understand the consequences of their actions. It may turn out to be a great lesson learned for some young people.

On a somewhat unrelated note, this reminds me of my buddy's primered GTO back in high school. To prepare for a night of cruising, we would give the car a quickie respray of primer over the greasy fingerprints and other blemishes the car picked up over the previous week!

23. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Sorry to hear this man. Its' not just the act these kids committed, but now your time and aggravation is involved. You made a claim on your insurance because someone else commited an act of stupidity. Also, in the end, look for your insurances rates to go up. Unintended consequences are no excuse. Make the responsible parties pay.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  24. The state attorney general may have a different idea, as well as the "asshole cop's" supervisor, the mayor the police comissioner etc.

I'm just sayin'.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That cop shouldn't be a cop. There's no place in law enforcement for bias....of any kind. Hope he gets whats coming to him.

Anywho, glad to hear that things are moving in a positive direction. Good luck.

26. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I was ateenager in the early to mid sixtys, we pulled our share of stupid shit stunts..the difference back then when we got caught, we had to make it right. not to mention your ol'mans foot in your ass.

27. Bad stuff happens sometimes. Sometimes good stuff happens though, so there's always that.

28. Weasel

Weasel

Do NOT claim on your insurance because the only person who will suffer negative consequences is you when your premium goes up at renewal time. If you get no further with the PD's intervention, how about handing an estimate or two to the neighbors and ask them to pass it on to the parents of the perp. Advise them that you are giving them a one time opportunity to sort this out without resorting to legal recourse, but should the parents of the perp not wish to avail them of this opportunity that you will be suing them for vandalism and trespass. In CA parents are legally liable for their kids' actions....

29. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

We were all teenagers at one point (I hope) and I can say for sure I did stupid things like TP a house but I NEVER would have let my idiot friends mess with a car!

That is dumb teenager brain mixed with some disrespect IMO. I'm glad the parents are working with you.

30. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I would try the parents route first. If you turn it over to the insurance company,you will pay for it in the long run.