Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Plymouth Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparmuscle1, Feb 15, 2013.

1. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

The funny thing is the more door sedan looks better proportioned than then the two door sedan. The hardtop is best but the four door sedan for some reason doesnt look as weird as the 2-dr sedan. Maybe its the fatter pillars...I dunno

2. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

This! ^^^^^^^

3. Mickey One

Mickey One

In the jate 60's my cousin Mike had a 57',which my next door neighbor Sonny bought.We had a great time with that car;318 c.i.,4bbl,3 speed w/Hurst on the floor,Sun tach on the steering column.That was a good summer!

4. theres apic of a light blue 59 plymoth sedan on here somewhere its all jacked outta proportion and straight axled i think may even be an alterd wheelbase

i like 57-58 plymouths but i dont think they pull off the gasser look all that well

but if you lift it up where it has about a foot a ground clearance with a slight rake back to front maybe 2 inches and put some good wheels with some 60 series tires in the rear and 70 series on the front you may be getting someplace

5. codeblu

codeblu

I realize the recreation is the wrong body style, however...I think it looks better. A dark color with dog dish caps would look sinister.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

aren't you afraid what Christine might think.....

7. back in the 60's there was one that had straight axle tube frame hemi powered that ran at the local tracks when I met Don in Shannonville he remembered it I don't have any pics but in 73 we took it apart to scavenge parts.

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This car has the right look.
    [​IMG]

10. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have a 57' Savoy 2 dr post. I lowered it, have a snotty 383/727 going into it, and am currently working on the interior and paint. I got the body work 90% done last year.

They are really great driving cars. I would leave it at stock height or lower it, and build it from there. They just don't look right all jacked up.

The stock rear wheel wells are pretty big, so you can get a decent sized tire in there.

I have 275/60R15's's in my car, and they fit nice, even with the car lowered. They touch occasionally on the lip when turning into a steep driveway, but my lips are not rolled, and I could have used another half inch of backspacing on the rims. With the right backspace I could fit a 325 in there. I mocked it up, but didn't do it because of the custom backspace rims needed, and I was in a hurry to get the car on the road for the HAMB drags.

I am running a narrower rear end than stock (ford explorer) with 15x8 rims with a standard 4.25" backspacing. There is 2" from the tire to the spring on my car, and about 3/8 of an inch to the wheel lip.

You really want to rewire the car. They have no fuse box stock, just a couple inline fuses.

11. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Just lower the rear an inch, stock in front. It'll look killer.

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I see some funny comments here, so let me try to straighten that out first. There were no Hemi engines factory installed in any '50s Plymouth, period. It is a fairly easy swap, although the Chrysler engine is a tight fit lengthwise in the Plymouth engine compartment. I have a family friend that in the early '70s built a '57 2dr sedan with a 392 from an Imperial.

The original Hot Rod 'Suddenly' race car was a hardtop. It was recreated in the early 90s using a sedan body because that's all they could find. They have since rebodied the clone using a hardtop.

I know this is a 3 month old thread, but you might peruse this link to see if you get any ideas for your Plymouth: http://forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26257&start=1

I've taken some photos from that thread and added them here; maybe one will whet your appetite. Yes I'm aware they're not all '57-58s. ;)

Attached Files:

13. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

I have a 58 Fury body shell and rolling frame that would make an awesome drag/street freak.It doesn't have any floors or trunk,but that can be fixed. Just sayin', in case somebody is interested.

14. 58belvedere

58belvedere

Cool Pics! Any more out there of 1958 or 1957 Plymouth (s)?

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The best ever. Even with a traditional chassis / engine combo, this would be my pick, hands down. You don't need the high n mighty look with cars that look this bad, IMHO. BTW, my Gramps had a 4 door like this but it smoked at the other end... the valve covers always seemed to leak... but it was good for mosquito abatement. Gary

[​IMG]

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Stephen King on Christine book dust jacket. If you look close you\'ll notice its a 57 not a 58..jpg Just a little information for the 57 fan ..................................Stephen King on Christine book dust jacket. If you look close you'll notice its a 57 not a 58.