Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Buick Sedanette --Frame swap to a 66 Electra or clip with 76 Camaro ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Feb 11, 2013.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have a choice of going with a 1977 camaro clip for my 49 buick sedanette or in the alternative, I can use a 1966 Buick electra frame that comes with the complete driveline (401 nailhead with quadrajet intake/stock turbo 400). Both have their challenges. The camaro clip would give me the desired disc brakes and comes completely rebuilt, hub to hub. The 66 buick frame would require a modification to get disc brakes and would also need to be shortened 5 inches to match the wheelbase of the 49 sedanette.

I guess option 3 is to use the camaro clip and take the nailhead/tranny/driveshaft and rear end and use some chevy truck style rear control arms and call it a day.

Look forward to your comments or an education from those that have already done this swap in some form for a 49 or similar buick.

2. PM me with a phone number. I am doing a frame swap on a '55 with a 78 LeSabre frame.

Too many details to go over here in print.

3. txturbo

txturbo

I would put the camaro clip on the stock frame and use the Buick motor/trans/rearend.

4. Streight8

Streight8

Scarebird disc brake conversion on stock frame?

5. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I guess the scarebird disc adapter would be one of my options. My only concern would be adapting to later model shocks and a figure out a way to do a static drop. I guess lowering springs would be an option. I wasn't thinking of going with air bags.

6. ssimpala

ssimpala

A casual friend of mine swapped a '49 onto a '94 or '95 Fleetwood. He said it was really simple to do and it does look good.

7. Both the Camaro clip and the frame swap mean you have to get the stock front frame horns back on to mount the bumpers - just another little deal. I put an 81 Monte Carlo front clip on my 50 Pontiac - I think it's 1 1/2" narrower tread width than the Camaro.

8. I like the idea of keeping it in the family, thus the 401 nailhead sounds like the way I'd be going. Either way, sounds like a heap of fun.

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

not the 66 frame swap...

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

70's Impala frame

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Upgrade the stock stuff.

12. southerncad

southerncad

Just to add to the mix of ideas for you:confused:
    I used a '77 Cad Seville clip on my '49 Cad Sedanette, and it worked great, no problems and the right width....also the Seville disc brake rear end was a snap to install on the stock '49 rear springs....good luck.

13. BJR

BJR

I put a 78 Trans Am clip on my 49 sedanett. Fits fairly well. The car is not drivable yet so no other info as to how it drives.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yep. Or just maintain (make it work) and use what's there.

15. indianhead74

indianhead74

Nah, don't use the buick frame, still 50 years old, go with the latter caddy if ya hav to do a complete swap. nice project ! Indy

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The metal does not know how old it is.

flatnoseturbo likes this.
  17. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a MII on my 49 sedanette, but no matter what you use, as mentioned above, you will have to do some cutting and fab work on the frame horns. From the A-arms forward the frame horns will sit too high, and since the front clip on these Buicks is held up by the radiator cross member you will have problems lining up the clip. I pie cut the frame horns and angled them down. You will also have to make sure the width between the outside of the frame horns will accomodate your bumper brackets. Most often swaping in a newer front frame clip leaves you with too narrow a distance. PM me is you have specific questions.

18. Jaguar front end? Lots of tech on here about them.

19. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

i know late model frame swap are not hamb friendly, but i'm very interrested in pics of that kind of swap ... may be you guys that did it can put a link on a photobucket or something like that, or a link of a thread on another forum ? that would be greatly appriciated by me ;-)