Register now to get rid of these ads!

A day every HAMBer Loves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Jul 15, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

today i finally finished enclosing my garage and started moving in it!
    its been a long time coming and more than likly i will outgrow it before i finish moving in. will post pictures later but so far ive got a 18x26 building steel framed. 12ft tall fully enclosed with one 8x7 roll up door for $1500. not bad for today standards.

ive pinched every cent possible.

so far i moved in the wifes old truck and the stereo. a couple tools and tables. called it a day. tons of signs still gotta go up.

will post pictures soon. this is my MAN CAVE! yay. :D

2. 117harv

117harv

3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Congrats! I know that feeling well...2 years ago I built my first ever workshop. It's only 20 x 22 but it sure as hell beats working outside in the dirt!

4. nice....I hope to get there sometime soon.

When I do, I may just sleep out there for a month, just to soak it in.

5. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

2-16-2013 im got my garage finally cleaned out and this coming weekend comes the newest addition to my garage.....a concrete slab! finally no more gravel to lay down on. i have an excuse to go buy a creeper

6. I think I'm gonna turn my driveway into a garage. That's where everything sits and I do all my work anyway. My 1 car garage barely fits the Model A and all the other stuff. I have thought about doing one of those metal carport on the side of the house.

7. I thought about doing that myself and just close it in but the 'ol lady kept bitching about it's "not going to match the house". $17,000 later it matches the house and now she bitches about how much it cost. Go figure!

8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

before you pour the floor, consider laying down some 2" foamboard as insulation. you'll also need some on the perimeter so the frost wont creep in. it gets cold on a concrete floor in the winter.

9. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i forgot to post pictures! srry guys. here is one of the interior. im going to be using some ideas from the garage art thread for my man cave.

[​IMG]

10. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

How did you do that for that little money?? I need to know. Congrats!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. I'm betting lack of concrete has a lot to do with it. HRP

12. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

concrete is running me 1950.00

13. ml_engr

ml_engr

Well done sir...enjoy that space / sanctuary.

14. Yeah,concrete is pricey but beats the heck outta laying in the gravel!:D HRP

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think you can do better than that...I had the Merced company (Builders Concrete) come out and pour 10 yards for $950.00 last year. (California!)
    Big 10 yard truck, poured a 5" thick slab 24' X 25'. Retarded drying time, ebony color. Pretty!
    Lucky I went with local company: Concrete companies won't haul any more than 9 yards, makes truck too top heavy. I am just 5 miles away, so they sent me 10 yards!

Some friends did the screeding and smoothing, wife and I helped. Handed 3 friends $100 each, slab is smooth and level.

(also put in 2 tie-downs! I use 'em all the time: Latch onto the one at the rear of the shop with my U.S. Army 2-ton Comealong, and pull a non-runner clear inside the shop when working alone. Can tie both onto a bent frame and straighten it with a 4-ton jack.
    I do a lot of gennie rail using, sometimes they're bent...Love these tie downs!)

16. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

the price for concrete is them leveling everything, rebar, and smoothing out real nice and smooth. 4inch thick slab.

17. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

So lets see some pics of the outside.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here are pictures of outside and inside of garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

the fiberglass panels allow tons of FREE light to enter the garage when doors are closed.

20. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Congrats!! I look forward to the day I have my own garage/shop

21. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Good job! I have an old 2.5 car garage but the ceiling is too low by about 2 courses!:mad:

22. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

having a friend install electric service right now! no more extension cords for me. over the past couple months ive been using extension cords running from the house to the garage to do my work. they seemed like they were always getting hot and throwing breakers. dont have to worry about that any more now