Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memphis Fuel & Gas Nostalgia Drags & Car Show ... May 17 & 18, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Due to the success of the revival of the Atlanta $10,000 Nostalgia Drag Race this past October, Julius Hughes III, president of Zot Productions LLC, has announced a new nostalgia meet in May of this year:

Memphis Fuel & Gas Nostalgia Drags & Car Show ... May 17 & 18, 2013

Julius, who also owns the famed Atlanta Speed Shop and is owner and driver of the Zot VI Nostalgia T/F dragster, is looking to present a series of four nostalgia drag meets in the north Georgia area and the southeast in general. HAMB member Elaine Jape (jetboatmama), director of marketing for Zot Productions, asked if I'd help get the word out.

Much of the success of the Atlanta $10,000 was due to a sizable number of HAMB members who showed up as participants and spectators. It's hoped that the the momentum can be kept going, producing venues for old school drag racing for rodders and racers in the southeast. :)

Much was learned from this past October. Now, it's time to do it even better. Hopefully we can get even more people to come out for the fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All constructive input is welcome!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

The Atlanta Speed Shop put on a fantastic show last October at Commerce, looking forward to the Memphis race. Good racing and best luck

3. once again, i wil help out. if elaine can get me flyers, i will hand them out at the lone star round up in april.

4. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

does anyone know a good motel close to the track?

5. injunjoes

injunjoes

Ill be there, thanks for putting this event on

6. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

FYI, you really don't want to stay near the track. Not the best part of town. You're better off staying in Bartlett and driving an extra 15 minutes. Millington is the closest town, and is OK in parts, just look for something on HWY 51, north of Navy road.

7. vicksrods

vicksrods

sounds very cool def. gonna be there

8. A correction has been made to the schedule (first post) .........

9. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Fliers are being printed now I will be getting them out ASAP to anyone who whould like to help spread the word

10. How many folks have made motel reservations? Did you have any trouble finding something close to the strip?

11. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Cant wait for this! MIR is only about 30mins from my house so we race there alot. Its a very nice facility with PLENTY of room. It has very long shutdown area therefor top fuel wont have any problems stopping as ive seen at other facilities.
    Ill see ya'll in may!

Heres a list of the hotels closest to the track. There all pretty nice.

Holiday inn & suites HOST HOTEL901) 872-3640

Admiralty Suites & Inn 901.873.1000
    Best Western Galleria Inn & Suites 901.372.0000
    Hampton Inn & Suites 901.872.4435
    Quality Inn 901.873.2222

12. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Thanks Possum JR

13. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Who wants fliers??

14. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

The TREE is the original from Atlanta Speed Sop Dragway
    Jullius uses it for the driveway drags at his openhouse every year

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  15. send me some. you should still have my address. mark in cartersville

16. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Will do Thanks

17. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Would you be interested?
    Looking for people to help spread the word about the Memphis Fuel & Gas Nostalgia Drags & Car Show May 17 & 18, 2013<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

18. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

I just got back from Great Brittian Had fun with my family
    Now I'm getting geared up for more fun at the Memphis Fuel & Gas Nostalgia Drags & Car Show May 17 & 18
    Hope to See You There

19. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Whats the Gasser Shootout?

20. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

The Gasser Shootout is a 4 car match race at the Memphis Fuel and Gas Drags and a 8 car match race at the Atlanta $10,000. The cars are period correct 1967 and older straight axle gassers. The rules and requirements are at www.atlanta10000.com[/URL] under race classes/nostalgia gas and gasser shootout.

The class is run heads up, full tree, first car to the finish line wins. Its Chicago style which means all cars run each round but there is an overall winner and runner up.

If you are interested in participating call me at 770-534-1560.

21. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

The second in the series of Nostalgia Drags & Car Show presented by Julius Hughes of Zot Productions

22. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 412pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 412pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 19541" width=550><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 412pt; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl64 height=19 width=550>SPECTATORS & PARTICIPANTS People are wanting to know</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl64 height=19>Please tell us if you plan to come to the Memphis Race </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl64 height=19>Send us your picture/your name to [email protected] so we can post it on the website </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]

23. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

24. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

FRIDAY NIGHT FIRE & GRUDGE><o:p></o:p>
    ALL YOU GUYS WHO WANT TO GRUDGE RACE<o:p></o:p>
    Memphis Fuel & Gas Nostalgia Drags & Car Show<o:p></o:p>
    May 17 & 18, 213<o:p></o:p>

25. sounds good I might be able to make this.

26. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

R.I.P. Art Malone. Here is a heart-felt message today from 'Big Daddy' Don Garlits:

Subject: Art Malone died this morning

Dear Friends,
    My long life buddy, partner and friend died at home this morning at 6 AM. This was the final result of an Airboat accident several years ago, Art was injured severely and never fully recovered. I talked to him on March 27th and he was in good ...spirits, thought he had lost a lot of weight. The brute of a man was down to 175 pounds, my weight! His wife Sandra was at his side.
    It grieves me to write this, but I must as Art and I go a long way back, in 1942 we rode the Twin Lakes School bus together, became friends and never had a quarrel. Art was younger than I, but a tall boy and timid at that young age. I once beat up a bully that was picking on him and we have been very close ever since. Art initially started racing round track cars and I once borrowed a flathead Ford engine out of his stock car to run an event while my engine was being repaired, I won with Art&#8217;s engine, but he continued to race the round tracks. Then in 1959, I was burned severely and Art and his wonderful late wife Lorraine came to the hospital and he offered to drive the Swamp Rat I car while I recuperated. Art took to Drag Racing like a &#8220;Duck to Water&#8221;, setting the new Drag News 1320 Record at his first outing in Sanford Maine, 183.66 MPH, breaking my old record set at Houston TX the week before the Chester fire. Art continued to raise the 1320 record several times and in 1960 built his own car at Al Williams shop in Kansas. He won the US Fuel and Gas Championships held in Bakersfield CA in 1963 with his own home-built car, Ed Iskenderian was his Crew Chief! He set the oval track record of 181.561 MPH at the Daytona Speedway on August 28th 1961, receiving the $10,000.00 prize posted by Bill France of NASCAR fame for the first person over 180 on a closed course, driving the &#8220;Mad Dog&#8221; a winged version of an Indy car, built by the late Bob Osiecki from Chester SC. The &#8220;Mad Dog&#8221; now rests in the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing as a tribute to this man&#8217;s many accomplishments. We teamed up again in 1984 putting &#8220;Garlits and Malone&#8221; on Swamp Rat 26, a car removed from the museum and refitted with modern parts purchased by Art to be able to run the 1984 NHRA US Nationals, we won the race, the competitors were calling us &#8220;Dinosaurs&#8221;, we then proceeded to the NHRA World Finals, winning again! Art and I then won the NHRA World Championships two years in a row, 1985 and 1986. Art was inducted into the Drag Racing Hall of Fame in 1997 and he supported the Museum from the very beginning. This is just a brief summary of Art&#8217;s life, as it would take an entire book to list it all, he was a man&#8217;s man and will be missed by all racing fans and competitors.

27. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

[​IMG]

COME MEET US
    Atlanta Speed Shop is coming to your area April 7th-12th to promote MEMPHIS FUEL & GAS DRAGS & CAR SHOW event. Fliers will be distributed and posters hung in all surrounding areas within a 25 mile radius of the Memphis International Raceway.
    We will be at Memphis International Raceway Thursday night April 11, 2013 for Test & Tune and Friday April 12, 2013 for Super Chevy
    If you would like to help spread the word about the Memphis race & car show that would be great! Send us your address and we will send you some flyers to share.

28. jetboatmama

jetboatmama