Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hosting my first car show: Announcing the Lone Star Deluxe April 27th in Texas City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Howdy everyone:

I decided a couple months ago that the blue collar town that I grew up in needed to have a car/music festival. After months of meeting with the city & plenty of long nights in the bar room trying to figure out whether I was willing to risk it or not I said to hell with it lets go!

With that being said, ladies & gentlemen I am proud to announce that on April 27th 2013 in a little town just South of Houston I am hosting the first annual "Lone Star Deluxe" vintage car, truck, motocycle & music expo. This show will be hel in front of the Showboat theater in the Historic District of Texas City,Tx. We will have the following events:

#1- Pin-Up Contest hosted by Miss V
    #2- Moon Walks etc for kids
    #3- Vendors
    #4- A "Mini-Billy" contest where kids under 10 can dress up & compete
    #5- Three bands
    #6- DJ
    #7- Food & Alcohol

and many many more..........

I hope to have the HAMB members support as I take this leap trying to bring a cool event to a town I dig so much.

Cheers,
    SN

Attached Files:

2. nice.....the Pate Swap meet is that week and weekend so I'll miss it....good luck !

3. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks for your well wishes, that was the only day available for the theater before Nov so I had to take what the city was willing to give me. I hate to cut into any other car event period but with times being tough for so many around here most of the people I've talked to couldnt make Pate so I figured why not??? I dont think I would ever take much from the folks at Pate as I hope they have a great turnout but like I said, I'm just playing the cards that I was dealt on this one. Maybe next year!

SN

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Good luck with your event.I hope it is the first of many more to come,if my work schedule allows I will be there to support.It always a good thing when we can add another show here for all of us locally in Houston and the surrounding areas.Plus the drive out to TC makes for a good little cruise and the weather in April should be nice.Looking forward to it!

Mark

5. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

6. 54LedSled

54LedSled

7. I take it you finally got approval...

8. Wow, a car show in stinky town. Started striping there and around Galveston in late 70's. Me and Arturo did a few shows when he was on 6th. Don't miss TC too much but still have a memories while living off Logan and in La Marque on Ross. Ya'll have fun.

9. Arturo's still here.

10. He still got the T-rose T bucket? I started striping for him when he couldn't speak english.

11. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks for adding it to the calendar buddy, personally I would love for it to be pre-65 but I honestly to enjoy some later 60's stuff & at the end of the day a nice car is a nice car IMO. I will have several folks at the gate trying to keep the rats out though! Haha hope to see you guys one day & thanks again for the well wishes.

SN

12. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Yeah I guess it doesn't matter. The last two Traditional car shows I attended here in Texas advertised themselves to be pre-65 but there were cars in the show areas that were clearly newer, some had cars as new as '79, ugg.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think I can swing this one. I'll pass the word around.

14. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I have a couple really good car buff buddies that I have asked to work the entrance gate, I will NOT allow anything post 72 at this show. Its tough when a guy brings a really nice 77 Chevy out but I am sticking to my guns! I'm praying for a good event that will show local clubs, bands, businesses & people some support.

SN

15. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Just wanted to let all of the other clubs/promoters of car shows know that if you have an upcoming event I would be glad to post the flier on our Facebook page to help spread the word. I have already posted the Rumble in the Alley show this Saturday in Spring by the Rumble Kats & an after party by the Hellions (Hosts of The Hoedown) let me know if you have something you would like me to put up on our page.

Cheers,
    SN

16. Jimm56

Jimm56

Great, Sam. I'll pass this along to everybody I know.

17. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

^^ Thanks a bunch! I also have several hundred handbills & posters that I would love to hand out to fellow HAMB'rs if they would like to help spread the word...... If so let me know & I will meet you to drop a handful off to you.

Cheers,
    SN

18. Fenders

Fenders

Re the rats, I'd let them in if they pass the year test -- OK maybe put them in a separate section -- but some spectators like them and some people drive them, why limit your gate? And the definition can be subjective depending who you have on the gate ............

19. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

You have a good point, I agree that some folks like them for some reason. I just didnt like the thought of a beautiful Kustom that someone has taken the time to keep classy & look perfect parked next to a spider web & iron cross riden POS.

I tossed up the idea last night to my team of making sections like Street Rod, Trad Hot Rods, Stockers, Kustoms, Lowriders etc....... They seem to like that idea so I might be able to find a small place in the back for the rats. Hopefully it goes over well. Wish me luck!

SN

20. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

do you have a website for the event?

21. How about by the dumpster? We can sell them parts out of it and probably fund the whole event!

22. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you are planning to give out trophies for the cars, I would suggest that you label them as "the Bands best" or the Pastors Pick or even the Gate keepers Greatest.That way there will be no grumbling among the owners.

23. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

^^^ Not yet, to be honest since this is our first year & I dont know if I'm going to lose my ass or not I couldnt spare the extra expense. If all goes well with this year I plan to either do it annually or bi-annually in Texas City. I love my little town & I want to bring different style events to it as much as I can. I will hopefully be searching for a reasonable web designer in after this show though!

Thanks,
    SN

24. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I also love your little town. I will PM you the reason I asked about a website. And no, I don't design websites.

25. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

MissV will be in touch ASAP sir, we are giving it hell right now.

SN

26. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

It's on my calendar. See you there.

27. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm going to make this..Thanks Sam

28. Rogueman

Rogueman

When I was a kid I had and aunt that lived down there. I would spend my summers there with my cousin.

There was a drive in close to downtown that we would hang at and have burgers. I just can't remember the name of it.

Not sure we'll make it, because it's way south. I did hear some friends talking about it.

29. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

It was called the "Terrace" drive inn and it is still there, although it a now a Mexican restaurant. We'd love to have you guys, I have a long way to go and a short time to get there on this one.

SN

30. jetcycles

jetcycles

I put the show on my calendar and will spread the word. If we can figure out a time/place to meet up for a few posters I'll get them up in the windows on main street in La Porte. I work downtown but live in Shoreacres and would be willing to meet you anywhere in between or somewhere on 146 to help spread the word.