Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes a Gasser a Gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1933t, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Originally it was a vehicle with a stock body that had an engine that was modified beyond what was allowed in "stock" class including multiple carbs and a cam or it had had an engine change.

My step father traded for a 52 Ford Victoria with a 56 312 Thunderbird Special in it in the late 59's that had run C Gas at a local strip. It was lowered and looked more like a custom than a drag car but would blow the doors off the local hot dogs in their tri 5 Chevys at the time.

The "Gasser look" came later. Probably due more to the Ramchargers Jacked up Dodge coupe than anything other factor.

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Haven't we already had this conversation a few times....

Always turns into a pissing match.

3. What most people call gassers now are just theme cars.

4. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

hahahahha!! there you have it!!:eek:

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Be nice to have a real deal "Gasser" thread along the lines of the Vintage Sprint Car Pic or NHRA Junior Stock threads, is there already one somewhere? Just period pics, facts and rulebooks. Could we include any new builds though? Or would that just invite trouble?

6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Close, but no cigar. You forgot the all important fake spindle mounts. I wish ET would change the name to GAY-SSER instead.

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gasser is a state of mind...usually drug induced.

9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

As long as they respect the rules I have no problem with new builds. I know personally that I will never be able to own a real deal gasser or 32 Ford so I can't expect everyone else to also.

10. Well that would be fine in the real world. But unfortunately there are those that believe if you install a straight axle, remove the front bumper and put the front end in the nose-bleed section that this makes it a real Gasser. This can't be further from the truth.

Those that think that are just trying to re-write the actual history of the sport and not trying to preach the real aspect of the sport.

11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Your absolutely right. You would think that it was hard to find the rules, but Larry T has posted a ton of different NHRA rules all they have to do is read..

12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Amen!

13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

14. I have been building cars that will stand up and cut a straight line for a very long time. Long before new mustangs.

To run a 14 second car in gas class is a joke. Maybe E or F gas. :rolleyes:

I guess that my prblem is that I learned to race from old guys that knew that the fastest way from point A to point B is in a straight line.

By the way I did get a ticket once for 160+ on an old harley, well it was only 30 years old at the time. it would be 60+ years old today.

Guess maybe I build everything faster than you do.

Those rules are from '67 long before the time of 5 lug spindle mounts. A little after the era that we consider to be traditional.

Here are the NHRA rules for for '64 just for your reading enjoyment. this is the year before the NHRA would have allowed you to have a straight axle to bolt your 5 lug spindle mounts to. A little hard to read you have to work through it in an NHRA rule book. Not that it matters I doubt you will take the time to read them anyway.

Here is something else that will make your day a little bit better, the Wappid Wabbit won the nats at indy in '65. It had no straight axle and was not all over the track. You have to be able to go straight if you are interested in doing anything but making a spectacle of yourself. While an ill handling car is getting straightened out a good handling car will be pulling away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And THIS, in one simple sentence is why they are so disliked by so many guys on here. They are pissing all over the history that a lot of us lived, that was central to our lives long before Larry Fators sedan delivery ever wound up in TRJ, and LONG before all these assholes that are now spouting about "gassers" had ever even HEARD the word.:rolleyes:

16. It not an opinion or a fashion statement
    Its not a passing fad, its part of racing history.

First pick a year -
    Pick a class -
    Read the rule book for your choice.

That is unless you do think its a fashion statement and want to build something poserish.
    Not that it wouldnt be cool. Sort of like a BB gun that looks like a firearm - those are cool

17. I'm calling Bull Shit on this one Beaner. There is NO WAY you went 160 + on a Pan Head The bike known as the World's Fastest Pan Head went 156 and change and that took one of Accurate Engineering's 120" motors to do that - technology that wasn't even available 30 years ago. :eek::eek: :D

18. I was kinda thinking "hmmmmm" myself.

19. The judge called it BS as well and I did not do the manditory time locked down.

The technology was there you just could not buy it over the counter. Some of us were building fast a long time ago, but we were not interested in publicity. You can call BS all you want I was there you weren't.

20. No pictures or Proof - it didn't happen :rolleyes:

21. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Well partner, I'll park my poser next to your's anyday and we'il check the non orginal items that our cars ran on the track pre 65 back in the day off one by one. And at the end of the day I'll bet my pile of junk is smaller than yours. :eek:

By the way, here is my picture, where's your's? Now whos posing?
    [​IMG]

22. codeblu

codeblu

Are we pissing with the wind or against it?

23. I think I still got the ticket somewhere. If I find it I'll take a picture for you.

Maybe I won't, there are a lot of things that a lot of us have done for a long time that we are not in the habit of having to prove to anyone. I have a lot of faults that I am willing to fess up to, lieing is not one of them. I don't come from a culture where forgivness is a given, your word is good or you are gone.

With that haircut and the slot mags I am going to place that picture closer to '74 than '64. Especially if you are not a Georgia transplant. :rolleyes:

24. You know I'm just giving you Shit :D

but I still don't believe 160 on a Pan 30+ years ago ;)

25. If it were anyone else I would be offended. ;)

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think he's got you there Moon Rocket, that haircut woulda got you arrested in '64.;):D

27. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"By the way I did get a ticket once for 160+ on an old harley, well it was only 30 years old at the time. it would be 60+ years old today."

Beaner, I'm just going to call stright out BS on this one! :eek:

Lets see a picute of YOUR gasser. :rolleyes:

You've read so many magazines your starting to believe them! :D

28. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"I have a lot of faults that I am willing to fess up to, lieing is not one of them."

Hell beaner, I'm not trying to say your lieing, I'm saying that you really believe your own BS! :D

29. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

The picture isn't me, and it may be a little later than 64, but will you atleast give the car credit for being a GASSER!

It is my car now, the Rocket.

30. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Shoot, we know a feller with a poser like that wouldn.t be picking on nobody! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.