Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Racer12

Racer12

So what can any of you tell me about Walnut Gardens speedway. I hear i was in or near Indianapolis? A half mile, I wonder if there is any remnants of it today?

2. racer5c

racer5c

I think it only ran in the 20's or 30's I have read it was in Camby but have also read it was in Mooresville

3. I THINK this race track was located just west of Mooresville and like many early day tracks had a few name changes along the way. I THINK the track was constructed originally for the Colored Racing Association from Indianapolis which was comprised of African American drivers and owners and one of their outstanding drivers was a gentleman named Charles Wiggins. I do not think anything remains of the track.

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Call Jay and see if he came up with anything.
    From IOW 2009
    "I am seaarching for information and photos of the race track at Walnut Gardens in Camby Indiana. It operated in the 20s. I have acerage adjacent to that property which is now a Nazarene Camp Ground. The reason I found this site is that I have photos from the 20s of Jungle Park….If you have any Information please contact me at [email protected] "

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Call Jay and see if he came up with anything.
    From IOW 2009
    "I am seaarching for information and photos of the race track at Walnut Gardens in Camby Indiana. It operated in the 20s. I have acerage adjacent to that property which is now a Nazarene Camp Ground. The reason I found this site is that I have photos from the 20s of Jungle Park….If you have any Information please contact me at [email protected] "

Also, a poster 'Truth Detector' over at Trackforum Nostalgia Forum posted a few years back that his Uncle was a promoter there.
    http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?24281-Walnut-Garden-race-track&highlight=Walnut

And from Gold and Glory
    p88-90
    Mentions Harry Earl and Walnut Gardens Speedway
    http://books.google.com/books?id=AA...6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Harry Earl promoter&f=true

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I have info on about seven or eight races at Walnut Gardens 1930 to '33, and yes, most of them were "Colored" events. Location in period articles was mostly given as Mooresville. Best known drivers competing there were Harry McQuinn, Red Campbell, Frank Sweigert, Everett Rice and Les Adair.

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

WRA - Western Racing Association
    Anyone thinking of joining the WRA can find membership info on the website.
    http://www.westernracing.com/

And for the second year in a row our WRA Newsletter -written by Laurence Deutsch- has won 'The Golden Quill Award' for excellence in monthly publications.

Jan Isuue Cover:
    [​IMG]

8. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

...'1929CDAN, that is a "gold mine" of pictures you posted. One of the best posts ever on this site. So, thank you for that. Actually, your pictures are from 1975, 1977 & 1978 at the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds.
    As gtxrider noted, there are a number of DOHC Ford engines in some of the cars. In fact, there were and 1 DOHC Moser-Chevy, 1 DOHC Cosworth and 1 Offy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #20190

scan001 -- All 1975
    #3 Al Unser - DOHC Ford
    #3 Al Unser - DOHC Ford
    #6 Jackie Howerton
    #97 Gary Bettenhausen - DOHC Moser-Chevy
    #87 Steve Chassey
    #2 Tom Bigelow - DOHC Ford
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scan002 -- All 1977
    #53 Ron Shuman
    #43 Gary Bettenhausen
    #39 Gary Patterson - DOHC Ford
    #11 Larry Dickson
    #7 Tom Bigelow - DOHC Ford
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scan003 -- All 1977
    #55 Al Unser - DOHC Ford
    #61 Roy Hicks
    #81 Ron Shuman
    #79 Arnie Knepper
    #25 Steve Chassey - DOHC Ford
    #81 Ron Shuman

scan004 -- All 1977
    #37 Bill Burks
    #28 Bill Engelhart
    #1 Billy Cassella
    #3 Sheldon Kinser
    #21 Bill Vukovich

Post #20191

scan005 -- All 1978
    1.) Pancho Carter In Victory Lane
    2.) Pancho Carter In Victory Lane
    #5 Larry Dickson
    #44 Sammy Swindell
    #55 Rich Leavell
    #34 Kramer Williamson

scan006 -- All 1978
    #49 Ron Shuman
    #19 Dana Carter
    #2 Bill Vukovich
    #29 Billy Cassella
    #20 George Snider
    #68 Jerry Miller

scan007 -- All 1978
    #85 Mike Johnson
    #28 Bill Engelhart
    #78 Lynn Paxton
    #3 Sheldon Kinser - DOHC Ford
    5.) The Crowd
    #18 Robert Smith

scan008 -- All 1978
    #47 Bobby Olivero - DOHC Cosworth
    #98 Gary Bettenhausen
    #98 Gary Bettenhausen
    #56 Jim McElreath
    #33 Steve Chassey - DOHC Ford

scan009 -- All 1978
    #53 Rich Vogler
    #67 Ralph Parkinson, Jr.
    #25 Mark Alderson/Aldersen??? (Need verification)

9. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Is this what they meant by standing room only?????

Attached Files:

10. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Is that BEER HILL I see above turn three ?

11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Yes, seen today only at the rock concerts and other music shows with a strange odor wafting through the crowd.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks like a good payday if their racing for a % of the gate. :)

13. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Same track I do believe.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks like big ol Rutt in the pole hole and that fella in 4th has got some serious push going on :eek:

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Does it look like the dirt flying off the back tires may have been "photoshoped" in? Come to think of it with that much rear tirespin wouldn't the front tires need to be cranked hard right to counteract the looseness?

Hmmm

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not if you're Jud Larson. :D:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Could the track be Del Mar, California in 1949? That sure looks like Jimmy Davies up high in the recently converted back to four wheels Pat Clancy Special. That's why the tail looks a little too long. He won that day and it was one of the few times he started up front in the car that year. And Ruttman looks to be down low with Tony Bettenhausen in the Belanger 99 right behind.

18. TommyA19

TommyA19

I'd say it's Williams Grove.

19. wms. grove 7-29-51 show for the indy dirt cars that richwine ran. in 1940's
    crowds ran 20, 30 & some reports of 40,000.
    mlight9

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Yes and yes
    some more info from Joe Heisler
    http://www.thevintageracer.com/wg/indy_grove.htm

and...
    "Promoter Roy Richwine promised a dream field to ticket buyers on July 31, 1949, the first time Indy cars ventured out to Williams Grove, PA. The fans believed him, and fully 38,500 of them lined up. The field itself turned out to be sparse, with just 12 entries in the pits. However, half of the cars had qualified for the Indy 500, so big dogs were there. Joltin’ Johnny Mantz won the 50-lapper, followed by Duane Carter, Rex Mays, Lee Wallard, and local favorite Buster Warke. In the shot above, Milt Frankenhouser leans into the first turn, with Walt Brown sniffing out the inside.
    From INDY CARS ON SHORT TRACKS, by Buzz Rose and Joe Heisler. (Joe Heisler Collection)"

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Otherwise known as Black Sunday.

22. yeah, bad day at black rock,
    mlight9

23. ted nyqiist, austin shay, mark light long, long ago.
    mlight9

24. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Thanks. That makes more sense. So that's Andy Linden up high instead of Davies. :)

25. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Happy Valentines Day! This is way before my time, but love this shot!!!!!:D

Attached Files:

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

moe#69, Agree a neet shot but whats the race track? Denny Z.

27. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

I wish I new. The track looks board thinking NY.???:confused:
    It amazes me how much knowledge is on this sight!

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe it's Laurel Maryland.

Attached Files:

29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums...action=view&current=LaurelSpeedwayprogram.jpg

[​IMG]

Peter De Paolo 'Wall Smacker'-"p181-a new track and no one had it figured out-finally found the groove up by the rail and won the pole-108f at the start-after a few laps Benny Hill, Earl Cooper, Jerry Wonderlich anda few others pulled in and called it quits complaining they saw black spots due to the heat.Earl Devore waas acting srewy on track and afterwards we took turns dumping buckets of water on his head-great fun-I crossed the line directly behind McDonough who was a lap behind and scoring in error declared him the winner-Richard Kennerdell AAA Official told us not to worry and they straightened things out. Tommy Milton who owned McDonough's car was dissapointed"

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If interested, search for the thread -bring out yer board track pics- I posted links to a bunch of Laurel photos there a few years back.