Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Plymouth Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

2. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

conventional wisdom suggests offsetting the engine to the passenger side of the engine compartment makes it easier to install and clear the steering box (if your are keeping it stock) After everything is buttoned up it is not noticeable. In fact the factory did it later when stuffing V8's into A bodies.

4. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you for that advice, i have heard about 1.5" is what it needs. once we get it in and make sure the exhaust manifolds are going to work i am going to have them cleaned up some

5. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Jay got most of the trunk done today and mounted the gas tank.

[​IMG]

6. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

nice job..............................................sweet

7. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

It's looking good!

8. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Today was a good day, we pieced the engine together and lowered it into the engine bay to see what kind of clearance issues we were going to have. With the engine all the way back the fan is in line right where the radiator is going to need to be. Tomorrow or Thursday we are going to looking into cutting out sections of the firewall to push her back just a few inches. If the water pump didnt stick out so much we might be better off but, not sure if they make a shorter water pump like they do for Chevys.

9. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

10. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

[​IMG]

Here the engine still had a few inches to go back but as far as that water pump stuck out still will give us problems since we are wanting to run a manual fan

11. 4444Design

4444Design

awesome build so far

subscribed ...

12. teddyp

teddyp

sounds like a good car

13. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey Yoo, Mr VooDoo,

Love the Chop ! Nothing but a Definite Improvement.
    I know You'll Enjoy. Good Job Jay......... :cool:

14. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

hey voodoowagon, what gas tank are you using?
    thanks

15. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Used a 65 mustang gas tank, turned out really nice and left plenty of room in the trunk

16. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

You might want to put something in the spark plug holes before something falls into one of them .

17. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Curious, are you running a fill tube through to the outside of the rear of the car or will you be putting gas into the tank in the trunk? Thanks.

18. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Thanks Smokey! People that walk into my shop ask if it is a Merc. That makes me smile.

Fill tube is going to stay in the trunk with a vent tube to the underside of the floor.

19. I am Looking for an old MOPAR, will keep it all MOPAR (318 & 727 with a push button shift) and I am not a MOPAR guy!!!

20. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Sorry i havent had too many updates, lately. Car is moving along nicely but I have had my butt handed to me at my main job so luckily Jay at Riggs Fabrication and Restoration and our buddy Jason have been knocking out the engine and transmission mounts.

Will get some good pictures this weekend, followed what a lot of people recommended and went with a B body driver exhaust manifold and offset engine a inch and a half. Instead of taking a hammer to the firewall we decided to have Jay rework the firewall and just cut out what was in the way. Felt the end result would look more factory when completed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  21. jackho74

jackho74

looking awesome Voodoo, love it. giving me inspiration for my aussie 55 dodge. Jeff

22. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Jay has been knocking out the floors this last week, and if you look closely you can see the 318 coming through the fire wall. Very excited to see the car moving along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Will get a picture of the new floors uploaded shortly, should have all the sheet metal done this week or early next week and then we can start putting down the lizard skin

24. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

25. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Good job so far , keep it up . 318 looks happy there , its just rearing to go .

26. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

While Jay was working on the fab work for the firewall i decided to st rip the remained coating out of the interior and start on the primer. The goal is to put lizard skin down on the metal but debating on putting down por15 on the surface rusted areas, just have read a primer needs to go in between them. Here is some updated pictures from todays progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to be sad to cover up all of jays work with paint

27. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Looking good , I had to do the same in my 54 savoy.

28. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Well guys the car is moving right along, Rick came by this weekend to let us know what the chop needs before he can put the glass in. Dad and i sanded down all the welds and cleaned up the old metal in the interior so we could prep it for POR 15. We also got the firewall and engine bay all cleaned up and painted to keep it from rusting. Figured we are a ways away from the actual paint job so rattle can will have to do for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. farmer12

farmer12

Just read through the whole build thread and I must say I love the fabrication work so far. This is going to be one awesome car when it's finished. Keep up the good work!

30. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Thank you farmer, the feeling is mutual with your build.