Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie air suspension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edisonfire, Feb 13, 2013.

1. edisonfire

edisonfire

My system didn't have moisture traps on it when i got it and when i changed the pressure sensor that was ALOT of water in the tank. what are your opinions on moisture traps? and how often should you drain the excess moisture from the tank? and is there a good way to make sure none of the water is in the air bags? Thanks

2. Treat your tank like any compressor, drain it often.

Install moisture traps. I guess you could put in a drip leg for each bag but moisture traps are a better setup.

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Where is the best place to put a moisture trap? Inline between pump and tank?

I don't have one on my system either and it is something I've been wondering.

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used to drain my tank at the end of each summer. never used a trap but it is a good idea.

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

6. edisonfire

edisonfire

from what i have been reading its better to put it between the tank and valves, please correct me if im wrong. i just ordered one for $15 just to see how it works.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I have individual ports to each bag so I would have to have multiple traps? You would think they would have a port on the bottom to just use a drain, but mine doesn't. I'd have to drill and weld a port.

Probably just do like Boones and take the tank out every so often.

8. Trap goes after the tank just like any air system.

9. I've been driving mine five years on the Gulf Coast, wonder if there's any water in there?

10. edisonfire

edisonfire

i got two of these in the mail today. ill install them this weekend and post some pics.
    [​IMG]

11. 1lowf100

1lowf100
    from zanesville

the only place i have ever put the water trap is before the tank, the compressor is the big reason there is water in the system. i don't think its a big deal if there is water in the bags, it should all be getting blown out of the bag when you dump the air out. i would be more worried about the rust in the tank and making it into the valves, witch could cause them to stick open/closed.

12. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

number one buy good quality valves, i run danfoss valves on my setup, they top quality. two, i run a water separator after my air compressors, it drains automatically when it gets to a certain level. i never get any moisture in my tank.

13. pride63

pride63

Could someone please post links to water traps as I have been concerned about this possible issue . Thanks

14. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

i worked for a shop years ago doing a lot of air bags and we would put the trap after the tank, and before the valve block. it was ideal in order to keep the moister out of the valves, but it won't do much for keeping water out of the tank- so you will still need to drain it often.
    what size tank are you running? if the tank is too small and it getting refilled constantly, it'll build moisture faster. maybe you need a bigger tank?

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Regardless of where you put moisture traps you still have to drain the tank once in a while. Also, the moisture traps will not work on hot air because the water is in a vapor state and too small to be caught in the trap.

16. pride63

pride63

Think I will just keep emptying my 5 gallon tank every now and again lol, that is why I put a drain tap In the bottom after all.

17. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

the separator i use is designed for hot or cold air and it works great, i never get water in my tank ever, it also auto drains so i never touch it. since most systems have each valve coming right off the tank, how would you put the separator before the valves in that case?

18. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Call me anal....I drain my tank and trap every day I drive the thing after I park it for the night....I mean it takes a whole 3 seconds and no tools...

19. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

On my setup the run from tank to valve body is too short for moisture traps. The bung to the valve body is half way up the side of the tank. I replaced the drain plug on the bottom with a street "L" and extended to a 1/4 turn tap for draining just like on my large shop compressor. No issues with it yet. I'll try to post a pic this evening.

20. Hey guys good info here. I got a separator in my kit as well and installing it before the tank sound the best. I don't think its super critical where it is as long as you drain the system every once and a while.
    I was wondering if you can run the air lines along the frame or should you go straight into the cab? I was planning to run the lines along the frame but some say not too. Need ideas for this and where can I get good fittings?

21. Any know where to get good fittings for the air lines?
    :confused::confused:

22. 5lam

5lam

You basically want the water trap to keep the moisture out of the valves, so mount it wherever you can to avoid moisture getting there. If your valves mount directly to ports on the tank, then mount the trap on the tank before the compressor hose.
    This is especially beneficial if you have a steel tank, as this will slow down any rust/scale build up.

23. Thanks, I have two pumps I am guessing their is a Y connector be for the tank and that's the best place for the trap..

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like to run a line fitting on the bottom of the tank, to a solenoid valve, with another line that exits the vehicle. A good, hidden push button, and a relay, make short work of draining moisture from the tank, without leaving the driver's seat.

25. That a cool Idea. I have an extra solenoid anyway I'll install that for the tank.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!