Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maggie's Hot Dog Truck 38 years in the same location.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I friend told me about Maggie's and he said she has the Best Chili Dog's he has ever had!!!!!!

The video is really cool and her truck is a one of a kind for sure.

Hope you like it. Jimbo

http://youtu.be/KZe6jGPHHZw

2. Pretty cool.Like to see more pics of the truck.

3. What year is the truck?

Why am I hungry now? :D HRP

4. lawman

lawman

So neat !!!!

5. Will I just fired down a day old burrito, I am ready for a hot dog. If I can get one from an old gal in a GM that would even be better. I wonder if she's single. hmmmmmn. :D

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I really do not know the age of the truck but it appears to be between a 1933 and a 1937 from what I can tell.

Crazy to think that everyday for 38 years she starts the truck and drives it down to the same spot in front of a Chevrolet dealership.

I just love stories like this because it they are just so cool.

My good buddy Ray Soff better known as the "East Coast Car Historian" told me about Maggie because Ray was good friends with her husband before he passed on and I believe they were old car collectors.

How many of us have been in business for 38 years in the exact same location?

Jimbo

7. What a deal.
    Later,
    Dick

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Now THAT is pretty cool...I mean everything. The old truck, the nice lady and CHILI DOGS.

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

What a great story and good for Maggie for keeping it going for so long.
    Could I get some mustard, onions and relish on my Hot Dog please? You go Maggie......

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

very cool, neat truck too!

11. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

We had Charlie over in Islip probably just as long, the town tried to shut him down about 12 years ago, there was a big protest and they let it operate it's gone now (he passed away) I don't know if the family didn't want to continue or what happened, (I am pretty sure that's what happened)but it was just one of those things I would make the trip every once in a while, use to go whenever we went to Islip speedway or my Father's partners house he lived about two blocks away.Nice to see this type of thing.

12. Maybe she doesn't start it and drive it there everyday. It is becomming a common thing for roach coaches to be stationary any more.

That is not to say that this is the case but no one said a thing about it being driven and it is good advertisement for the GM dealer.

13. I have a hot rod pal that in the 80's scratch built a hot rod woody from a 32 pickup cowl and frame,,drove it a couple of years and sold it to a couple of guys in Florida.

These guys did some creative work in the rear and added a gas fired pop corn popper and had it at the Goodguys show at the Charlotte Motor Speedway probably 10 years ago and was set up in one of the garages with other venders,,there was always a crowd standing around buying pop corn.

I don;t have a clue as to what Earl got for the woody but I know I spent probably 20 bucks that weekend buying pop corn,,the smell does something to the brain!

I wish I could find a photo but it must have fell of the face of the earth,,I only saw it once. HRP

14. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

I believe it's a 31, I bought my 48 silverstreak convertible from her ex Red Mc cormac 32 years ago. She is one sweet lady and a hard worker, that rig is driven every day to that location she's outlasted a few dealerships at that location.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a cool old truck she's got there.

there used to be a hot dog cart on the way to the junk yard, not as fancy as that one but the young girl running it always had her Daisy duke shorts on and a half top. they both fit her well. her cart was very popular.

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Cool. Besides the awesome truck, that is some amazing longevity on something like that. Damn, it's lunch time and am getting extra hungry now.

Makes me think of these Studebaker truck pizza guys: http://www.rollingstonebaker.com/

[​IMG]

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

That is a really cool story on the Studebaker Pizza trucks.

You know Maggie may have just given a few of us an interesting idea for show casing a new style of old food trucks.

I wonder if she ever considered the idea of franchising the concept of her hot dog truck to others?

Jimbo

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Any other cool looking hot dog carts, trucks that others have seen?

I have seen plenty of push carts on the streets of New York but not many that operate out of a converted old truck or bus.

Jimbo

19. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

Correction stopped by yesterday for a kielbasa dog and talked to her its a 1934 GMC she's been doing this for forty years.

20. Cool thread ... ;)

Will have to stop and eat when I am in the area

Thanks for posting !

Jim

21. Paul B

Paul B

Had a few there as well, Man 38 years where is time going. My dads friend built a hotdog wagon out of a 40 ford fire truck. it maybe still around used to be in PortlandCt.

22. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Ummmmm, hot dogs. Truck is cool too. Thanks for posting.

23. teddyp

teddyp

hi jim
    that,s a cool truck is she red mc cormac ex wife that deal in alot of old cars and had a old 50 ford show car ?

24. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

Yeah that was Red never anything common he tended to lean towards the different one offs like chopped Eldorodo's and caddy campers.

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Teddy:

Your question was: hi jim
    that,s a cool truck is she red mc cormac ex wife that deal in alot of old cars and had a old 50 ford show car ?

Yes that's his wife. I did not know him but Ray Soff told me a great deal about him and the story about the hot dog truck was just to cool for words.

Each time Ray calls me we talk for about an hour or more and he is just so interesting to talk with and his knowledge of old show cars and who built them years ago and where they are today in unbelievable.

He has helped me locate many old cars for customers who built cars 40 years ago or longer.

Very nice guy to talk with and his history of old show cars is something that not many people have.

He also sends me old pictures and decals that he has had for years.

He just sent me pictures of drag races from Allentown, Pa. from between 1956 and 1959

I think this weekend he is meeting a group of guy's from New Jersey at a friends shop to talk about the old day's.

Jim Hill

26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I stand corrected Maggie's Hot Dog Truck has been in business 40 years in the exact same location.

Jimbo

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I wish I did not live 1,500 miles from Maggie Hot Dog Truck because right now I am thinking about how good they taste and I wish I had a few of them.

Once I start thinking about food my mind goes in another direction and I forget about the business.

Great story and a very interesting person.

Jimbo

28. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Very cool Lady.. I got her phone# from Ray Soff a few years ago.. Her Husband Red was an early owner of my '55 Chevy and shared some great stories of when Red aquired it.. Maggie was nice enough to dig through boxes old photo's to locate some poloroids and send them to me.. I also got some great photo's of her Truck.. Her truck is also featured in a GMC history book .. Its a long way from Arizona for a Hot Dog, but maybe someday I'll make the trip.. 40 years doing the same thing that you dig is AWESOME!! She's a sweetheart with a great story..

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Maggie's is a legend in her own right and I agree with you having anything including a hot dog truck in the exact same spot for forty years yes something about how good her hot dogs must be.

Interesting story on her truck and on her life.

When in Hartford this is a place I would always stop to eat and say hello.

Jimbo