Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you guys using for a transmission jack?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 12, 2013.

1. I'm swapping out the stock 3spd for a 3spd/OD in my 60 Belair. I got the tiny stock 3spd out without much hassle. However, the OD trans is bigger and heavier than the stock one. I'm working on the floor with the car high up on jackstands. I think it may be in my best interest to use a trans jack when I install the OD. They make adapters for floor jacks also,Harbor Freight sells a scissor type one for under $100.
    What are you using?
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Motorcycle jack. It's perfect.

3. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I do a lot of side work on bikes so it gets used quite a bit. I've also used it a few times for dropping gas tanks for fuel pump replacements.

4. WWinIL

WWinIL

Good 'ol American iron....

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. wayne-o

wayne-o

I used an idea that a fellow HAMB'r gave me. Fabricated a bracket that mounted to an old floor jack and bolted to the rear mounting holes on the transmission. I did this before removing the trans so everything lined up when replacing it. Not universal but worked great.

6. Just a small floor jack and some 4x4's,,but I'm getting to old to fight with doing it the dumb way!:D HRP

7. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

6 ratchet straps along the frame and a floor jack.....Its a long story...:rolleyes: Wish I had pictures...

8. Cerberus

Cerberus

I'm with BOOB 100%. I've used my MC jack several times when installing OD transmissions.

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

Me too.

10. gas tanks, trannys, bikes, mowers, atv's. i use mine a lot.

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

the harbor freight thing sucks----figure something out with your floor jack and bellhousing studs

12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

first step remove body from frame .. :D easier when you can do it standing up. sorry i still do it the caveman way. all muscle.

13. I do have a M/C jack. I just totally spaced the idea of using it. I think a few pieces of wood a cribbing to get the trans level and it will work perfect.
    Thanks guys!! Todd

14. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Floor jack with a piece of plywood on it.

15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Now this gets posted. I struggled with my T5 conversion with a floor jack while I kept stepping over my M/C jack.

16. I'll speak for the masses here in H.A.M.B.land............ X 1000

17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have used my HF trans jack several times and it works fine. Better than my floor jack and plywood did. No it is not as good as a real one, but it works fine for me. Sure wasn't $100 when I bought it.

[​IMG]

18. oakhill

oakhill

Me too, that's the way I do it. It's nice to have a friend around to call 911 too when it falls off.

19. lawman

lawman

Have used my HF jack for five year's now with never a problem.

20. I use my floor jack no adapters now that I am older. The missus and I have horsed a few tranmissions up by hand in our day. But now we are older and wiser.

21. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Haha! Sorry!

22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

sears floor jack and my son-in-law

23. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Gotta agree about the motorcycle jack. I purchased that cool all-aluminum Craftsman jack from Sears and quickly learned that it wouldn't work on either of my motorcycles. The drag bike had pipes that run under the frame and my chop-chop just sat way to low. It's now been used several several times successfully as a transmission jack.

24. Ah the memory of sliding underneath the car, placing your body just right and then rolling the 4 speed onto your chest, hoping with one lift and push it will actually make it past the throw out bearing and clutch plates the first time. Now I use the M/C jack.

25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I used to lay on the floor and pull the transmission (nothing bigger that a 4-speed) up onto my chest and stomach and then hoist the transmission in from there. Then probably 15 years ago, I picked up one of those transmission adapters for a floor jack; which worked okay for a few years. About 7 years ago, picked up one of the HF transmission jacks; which does automatic and anything bigger.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have three floor jacks, so I took the old one and made a base that I welded to the swivel cup on it. I made slots to run a nylon strap through the base to strap a tranny to it, and it works great. Would be nicer if all 4 wheels swiveled, but trans are light enough I can shift it sideways a little when I need to.

27. I have a HF trans jack and one that mounts to a floor jack. Both work fine but my only complaint is with the floor jack one. It's very tall and sometimes unable to fit under a car with a large or low hanging frame, up on jack stands, with a trans on it. This is with a larger trans, say a TH350. I've had to lower the trans down then pull the trans. off the jack under the car, then slide it out. Do the reverse to get it in. This is why I bought an actual trans jack instead. I could see a motorcycle jack working real well though. Especially if you have one!

28. spooler41

spooler41

Wow, This thread brings back some memories, in the late 70's ,when I was much younger, I had to replace the clutch in a Vega hatchback. I had no problem getting it
    jacked up and on stands. Removing the trans went ok along with the clutch replacement.
    The real challenge came when I had to lift the 4 speed gear box and slide it back into place, I managed to get the trans onto my chest but when I lifted it I heard and felt a
    rib snap. It took a lot longer to heal than the repair took to complete. That was the last
    time I tried that trick. I've changed a lot of transmissions since,but used a trans jack and had help.

................Jack

29. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I usually use #3 son, the weightlifter.