Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 360 making racket.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, Feb 12, 2013.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

bought an OT pickup, runs pretty good but makes tapping noise, from driver side of motor. like hitting sheetmetal with a hammer. i changed the oil, added some seafoam to oil, and ran it without the fuel pump installed. no change. whats next , pull valve cover? i dont get inside engines too often.

2. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Umm. How attached are you to this engine?

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Poke around with the 'ol sawed-off broomstick listening pole, occasionally one will lose a wrist pin bushing and will bang in a steady rythym. Should be able to pinpoint the sound

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I have run into many flex plates on 352,360,390 fe motors being cracked .. Something to check

5. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

not very. hoping its a collapsed lifter or something fairly simple.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

If you play with cars you should have one of these in your tool box to locate noises. You can use the the old big screwdriver, broomstick trick but for what they cost, it is a very cheap useful tool. Isolate the noise before replacing parts.

7. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

There is a sheetmetal oil deflector that sits under the rocker shaft stands on the FE engine.If a stand bolt comes loose, the stand will beat on the deflector. Sounds justs like a hammer on piece of sheetmetal.
    Not "finger tight" loose, but under torqued loose. Should be 45 ft.lbs.

Had it happen on a 352 (which I did not build:D)

8. the 360 in my 72 f100 had a taping noise AFTER i changed the timing chain and gears turned out to be a loose bolt on the bottom pulley it took me a week to find it drove me crazy especailly tearing it all the way back down to the timing chain thinking something went wrong with it hasnt made a tap since

9. fordor41

fordor41

Check valve train hitting the valve cover.

10. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I will investigate more this weekend and report back, thanks for the input. This is a 71 f250 that I got cheap.

11. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

well, i dont know what happened. maybe the seafoam freed up a sticky something. Runs quiet now.

12. 53 effie

53 effie

Sounds like it had a stuck lifter... as in one that was stuck collapsed and now oils properly. I've had them do that if it was sitting for a while before you got it.

13. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

yeah it had been sitting, i dont know how long. found at county vehicle auction.