Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lakster or Dirt Track ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Your setup will likely work well for your planned usage of the car.

Mine will see more road time so I will want a more substantial exhaust system.

I may well follow your lead with the headers, I like the slight swept down look of them rather than the usual straight out design of most of the lakes headers.

May not drop them down quite as far, I will have to see when the time comes to put them together.

Good plan contacting Tim, he knows Y Blocks to be sure, he also built my rather healthy 309 :)

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

packed and ready to be installed before turnout is welded in place

[​IMG]

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

Lakester, very nice car. I'd be at bonneville every year for sure.

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Making progress... more welding to go... I see why most lakes headers go straight into the side of the collector... Carey is going to have to use weld as fill in some areas to form a flowing radius...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sure looks pretty!

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I concur!

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Carey has been skipping around on the 27 (my fault)... I've been wanting to address problem areas and I wanted to start the exhaust during the holidays/two week layoff so I could be around most of the time... so, he finished the motor mounts on the other side... and he is working on the front shock problem and using the headers as a fill in since it is mostly finish work at this point...

Here is a erlier photo of the front shocks... it was a decent set-up before I kept making modifications to get the car lower... now the shock has limited angle/travel... and, in yet another street driven comprimise - I'm planning on removable headlights and the natural location for the brackets is the side of the rails...

[​IMG]

My idea is a little unorthodox... but, I went with the larger 48 Ford rear shocks for the longer arms and they will be located off the bottom of the frame and extend out instead of being mounted on the side of the rails... a portion of arms we are replacing will be welded into the radius rods to attach the dog-bones...

[​IMG]

Here is the configuration... you can see the oversized mounting plate in the previous photo - it will be trimmed to the inside of the rails

[​IMG]

8. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

This is one heck of a engineering marvel.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I'm stoked... Stopped to see the car on the way to work and I can't wait to post photos... There have been a few thorns in my side as I progressed with this build and this was one of them... we have come up with several solutions over the past couple of years and most were just an improvement not a solution that was simple yet effective... We discussed friction, tube, modified arrangement of the existing and they all had drawbacks... This setup is understated and maximizes the function... Carey was jumping on the frame and I was impressed to say the least... And, it met my artistic license that has to drive Carey nuts at times since I always find a more difficult way to make it look simple... Some folks have a way in majoring in the minors and that most have been my calling...

10. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

The header is right, it is now pleasant to the eye "artistically speaking" it flows

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

With the grill, hood, and belly pan in place the only visual will be an arm protruding through the belly pan and a short arm off the radius rod connected by the dog-bone link... yet it has full travel and will free the side of frame rail for the headlight mount...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I need to shoot a few shots from the same angles but this gives you an idea how it cleaned up the front end... of course the after would look better without the surface rust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ummm, I sure do like that approach to the friction shocks. Vary neat.

Charlie

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Hi Charlie... You were the first to post on this thread in 2009 and it is gratifying to see folks still following my follies... Mine will never see the miles yours has but when I met you in Columbus you inspired me to finish this project since you seemed to be in enjoying yours so much... And I always know your comments come from the drivers seat!

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I just ran across this photo of Lloyd Bakan's coupe... exhaust looks kinda familar...

[​IMG]

16. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I'm starting to find more angled down headers on older builds which makes me feel better about the route I took... I never noticed anyone ever doing it before and now I notice that just like my build - folks did what they had to do to make it work... it may be differant and if I had other options mine wouldn't have been this way but it really isn't any differant from what rodders have been doing for decades - just making it work and go racing... this one showed up today on the thread "L.A. Hot Rods at the beginning" taken during the early years

[​IMG]

I've been studying this shot to get ideas for the gas pedel... my lifelong buddy, Fred was surprised at how comfortable it was... he commented he had a couple 32 coupes that didn't have as much room... and he is taller than me... my biggest issue is that I want to maintain the easily removable body so we are going to have to get creative on the set-up and linkage... what else is new - everything on this rig has required an "outside of the box" solution...

[​IMG]

17. fordman1

fordman1

Awesome fab work. great vision!

18. That shot setting in the car looks familiar. Find all the room you can for your right leg to stretch a little...easy to say but hard to find. Cramping can be an issue if the hip anglea nd knee joint angle gets less than 90 degrees.

Charlie

19. That shot setting in the car looks familiar. Find all the room you can for your right leg to stretch a little...easy to say but hard to find. Cramping can be an issue if the hip anglea nd knee joint angle gets less than 90 degrees.

Charlie

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The seat pan is approximately 10" above the floor to clear the radius rods and the floor is 5" below the body... the angled foot rest/master cylinder cover provides an optional left foot position... the right feels natural resting on the top of the transmission... since there will be no floor above it I thinking of a foot rest with a side - an eqivalant to half a moon pedal wit a pedal as the top while the bottom stays stationary... the mechanical side of the pedal & linkage is the the dilema arrives... it will either have to be firewall mounted or suspended off the right side steering tube... it can't be any harder than the emegency brake was (at least lets hope)...

21. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

What do you think? We decided to take a break and put it back together... This is the first time I've seen the car with all the parts on it in a couple years...

[​IMG]

22. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like fun. Show us more views.

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Looks wonderful, except... your right foot position, IMHO. You need to do everything in your power to keep your gas pedal and right leg in line / straight. Have you considered building a heel support or "well" on the left side of the tranny tunnel? Your foot would be higher off the floor, but at least it would be to the left of the hump. Unless you are truly building a track car, ie gas pedal to the right of the tranny, clutch and brake to the left of the tranny, and your seat is centered directly over the driveshaft, I can't imagine even driving it 2 miles with your foot like it is in the photo. Gary

24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The left side has a foot rest but the leg can extend farther without being on the clutch or brake... The right will have a rest that will bolt to the tranny case... The driver position is center of the wheel (right leg is just left of the torque tube) since the center steer is mounted as high as posible an the 40 Ford wheel is so large - left foot & fight hand braking was the only option... It isn't uncomfortable... The steering wheel could have been moved to the left and using an adaptor to change steering ratio would have allowed a smaller wheel... But, the vintage race car was the plan since I have 33 for the street... I have been making concessions along the way to make it more street friendly... Since no one in the garage wanted to show there legs for a better view - I'll try to get someone over for some shots (seeing a better set of legs will make it look better)

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Love it.. I'd drive it as is.

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

It is better when you can actually see the legs... The ergonomics of the T has been based on my 6' frame... so I have more of an angle to my knees since Erin is 5' 8"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Much better... and the best gams on this thread! Gary

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I'm sure Erin wouls appreciate that... If you have been following the build - these were pretty nice... and of course it never hurts to have an assistant to help handle the controls...

[​IMG]

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I would say that Erin is prettier :)

30. Assembled for Detroit ?
    Ron