Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Thrill Ride the movie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bizcoupeguy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Well said Chris, and the last line sums it up....it's a movie. Love it, Hate it, whatever....at least you took the time to do it. Sad how everyone wants to tear it down....and again everyone has their opinion, but until they've been there themselves.

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey, thanks for posting the shot of my car, brother: Actually, Medford IS like the movie: Lots of hot rod guys looking to have fun. Filming the street race scenes in the middle of the night on one of the very streets I used to race on was huge fun! And it got even better when the cops arrived to bust us and Chris was able to tell them to buzz off - "We're making a movie here." Sadly, what didn't come through the "awkward as menstruation" acting is that these "actors" are all just hardcore car guys, trying to crack each other up to get a rise out of Chris (the Director), but he was too busy laughing to get pissed. It was non-stop hilarity. None of the people involved took this project half as serious as the HAMBers. Since I know - and have worked with - most of these guys for years, and I was there, I "get" that. But apparently, it doesn't transfer to the screen, so everyone can get it. Example: What you guys refer to as "dark" is just satire.

I'm really proud of Chris for taking the leap of faith to make his dream come true and sharing the fun with us in the process. Say what you will about the rest of the film, but you gotta love that black Morris racing (and beating) the green '34 roadster, which is an old Altered brought back to life by my ex-neighbor, Dan the Wire Guy (he plays the cop in the movie). That's classic cinema, there! Start working on your acceptance speech, Chris...

Scotty

117harv likes this.
  3. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

I have to say the responses I've read isn't what I expected when I saw this post and clicked to read it.

Interesting.

4. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

I haven't see it other than the first few minutes that are on Youtube, so I'll reserve judgement. I will say that I don't think most people understand the amount of work a project like this takes. Having been in a low budget Ed Wood type movie a few years back, I can say with first-hand knowledge that making a movie and acting in one on a low budget are both hell. It looks easy, until you are on the 5th take and a super loud Harley drives by the set and screws up the scene. Then there is actor "A" screwing up his lines over and over, or one of the supporting cast that does not show on the day he is to be filmed. The costumes, the make-up, the music, the props, the personalities, and the lighting all make for a very stressful experience. After all that, there is seemingly endless editing that takes months to get right.

Maybe this movie is good and maybe not, but to hammer this guy for his effort it is not cool.

5. Chris,i dig where you are coming from with this but its not a lifestyle i give any time for,however there will be an audiance for it. I have the first two of Sir Peter Jacksons movies and i can say you may grow from your beginnings. JW

6. paintcan54

paintcan54

Not my kind of movie, but wish you well.

7. chrishotrodz

chrishotrodz
    from oregon

I will be making another trailer for the movie, it does show a very dark, tough, violent style, but the movie has tons of comedy to it. sorry no rainbows or unicorns. here is a clip that maybe familiar to some, setting off car alarms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62VSQZmaJwM

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

I agree with that.

9. Ill judge it after watching it.

10. The best actor was the dog........

11. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

Cheesy but cool... I'd watch it man, good job.

12. 4rod

4rod

the trailer reminded me of mistery science theater, what it really needed the gallery in the lower right hand corner... tough times in Medford...

13. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Watched it. not bad Chris.
    At first it was sorta cheesy (which i expect) when i watched it with my chick (keep in mind for instance, she does NOT see the charm in Two Lane Black Top):rolleyes:
    Shes just not into these types of "Cult" films. So she giggled a bit at first.
    There is a good amount of cool cars in it. And some real nice sounding rods... I was pleased.

The funny thing is a day later I came home from work. I just happend to turn on the T.V and noticed the volume was WAY loud and the movie was in the player UHHUH She got CAUGHT.
    So l watch it a second time, and it was just clicking alot better with me.
    Come to grips with the fact that this is a bunch of friends and car guys making a movie with cool cars... and You'll like it. Its got a charm to it. Like you could see you and your buddies being tough guys in the movie. It's funny in a good way.

Don't expect hollywood, like the quote from the movie "real actors get paid millions of dollars" was pretty good.
    Now to ME alot of movies are "Two timers" Meaning it takes e twice to watch it before i really dig it. This was one of those, Well worth the watch. Face it, theres not many hotrod movies around...I'll take what i can get.
    I gotta say, you all did a great job on it all in all. I couldn't imagine a project of this size, pretty much doing it for "Fun".
    In review...This movie is fun, I like it. I'll no doubt watch it again, and let my friend borrow it.

Go for it, watch it while your chillin, or maybe playing in your shop. No regrets here!:cool:

14. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

"I was aim'n ta blow the doors off that thing, but I think they're gonna jus fall off instead..." Hahahahahahahaha! Probably the cleverest line in the whole movie

15. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Hey Chris, shoot me a PM I need to order another 20 for Carlisle show

16. highridercountry

highridercountry

well my goodness...so much hatred in the world today...and out of so called car guys...i see some people that have posted on this thread really have NO IDEA what a 'traditional' hot rod is...and what those 'thuggs' did to their parents' model A's...those law breaking hot rodders and their loud and obnoxious 'hot rods'...hmm, take the body off of the flat head V8 car and strap an orange crate to a piece of plywood so they could reak havoc on the streats. yeah, i'm talking about those no good original hot rodding thuggs of the 1940's...Chris grew up in the 90's...he likes two lane black top...YUK...i Like American Graffiti...i grew up with 1932 Ford High Boys, chopped, channeled, and sectioned led sleds...and yeah, the 1958 Corvette that sat at the burger stand at Mels drive in...if you dont know what i'm talking about...tisk, tisk! the black primer that was once reserved for the 'hot rodder' is now the definition of a 'rat rod'. I HATE THAT TERM! but hey...they are driving old junk that NOBODY wants...they are keeping it alive. my grandfather was an Antiquer...my father is a hot rodder...go figure', that rebelious no good thug!kinda reminds me of the hotrodders taking what the old timers 'junk' and turning it into a sweet, fast ride...the old timers then bitched and complained about those no good law breakers...sounds like you 'traditionalists' have turned into them...oh but wait...enter the 1980's and the term, 'street rod'...all that is is a beautified hot rod...DORKS! i myself have respect for all automobilia...and if you dont, are you REALLY a CAR GUY? if you own a hot rod, street rod, led sled, muscle car, etc...isn't there a rebel inside you! or are you a poser? like Toad...Chris might not be a traditionalist, but he BUILDS bitchin Fast as all get out, great MPG vehicles that turn heads and keeps the hotrodding spirit alive...isn't that YOUR CODE if you OWN a cool hot rod?
    and i'm here to tell you ALL what time it is...
    "It's HI RIDER TIME!" and yeah...that's me who said it in the movie...as i shake my head in disgust at some of you! tisk, tisk, tisk!

17. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

18. Kidd Filby

Kidd Filby
    from Colorado

I see I'm a little late in jumping into this thread.

I just bought the DVD.. I cant wait to see it.

19. Kidd Filby

Kidd Filby
    from Colorado

UPDATE: While the movie may not be as Bad Ass as my 40 Dodge, Chris built, it is still a damn good car-flick to kick-back and watch. I can tell he put at least as much hard work in making ATR as he does his fantastic rods. Thank you Chris.... for both.

117harv likes this.