Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I posted a couple pictures, earlier, of a younger appearing Annette with a white '57 T-Bird. Maybe it's the same car...

2. Before today, I never realized that they were anywhere other than the southwest. After viewing there internet home page, I learned that they were originally out of Florida, moving to Tenn. and then to Texas. Yes, good food for the price.

3. Big hair, mini skirts and go-go boots the look of the late '60s and the '70s.
    I always liked the look.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Mart, far as I'm concerned, you are one of the greatest resources of knowledge:cool: AND fun:D on Dog's thread. Your sense of humor is irreplaceable, but I know your own threads and other contributions on the HAMB.

To answer your question, though, I am NOT SURE:eek: if the front-wheel drive feature was on the Frazer prototype. I do remember that Henry Kaiser WANTED FWD in the car HE envisioned producing. Joe Frazer, on the other hand, had already envisioned a nice, fresh car, outwardly speaking, but otherwise pretty conventional -- easy for home mechanics and even the average pro mechanic to maintain.

I remember at least drawings of Henry Kaiser's dream car. Give me a day, and I'll try and find those, buddy. (Needless to say, the Kaisers and Frazers, mechanically, were first to market (December 1946) but about as conventional mechanically as cars of the era came.:rolleyes:

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gloria Swanson

7. swi66

swi66

8. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

paint by Watson

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Always love the step-down Hudson pix! Here's an old
    warrior, not Hudson, though.

[​IMG]
    1931 Wanderer Cabriolet ad, thanks AGAIN to Alden Jewell

of FlickR. His comment: "Wanderer became a part of Auto

Union in 1932, along with Horch, Audi, and DKW. The "four

ring" emblem represented these four makes of cars."

10. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

That Transcontinental airliner is a
    very rare (one of 10 in total built, the
    first one off the production line and
    the only one used by Transcontinental)
    1939 Boeing 307 "Stratoliner". Howard
    Hughes owned Transcontinental
    and after buying up several other
    airlines, he merged them all to create
    TWA later in 1939. This particular
    Stratoliner (I don;t want to use the
    word "plane") still exists today, albeit
    in a somewhat "different"and "altered"
    form and is now known as the "Cosmic
    Muffin". Do a google search using words
    "Cosmic Muffin" and see what it is now!
    You'll be amazed at what some people do
    with old airplanes!

Mart3496
    ==================

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Okay, Mart. I found SOMETHING, but they didn't want it reposted. So here's where there's more info and graphics on the Kaisers and Frazers during the developmental stages.
    1947ka-1947 k85 Kaiser

circlekf.com/kfhandbook/kfoci%20handbook-pdf%20files/KFOCI%20HANDBOOK%20VERSION%...

12. empire

empire

This has got to be one of the sadist responses I have ever seen..

I love the old cars, old buildings, old planes, old trains, young dames and everything in between.

Live and let live.

13. Here's some interesting pics from the rural areas around Vancouver BC. Lots of history in them, please enjoy.;)

Attached Files:

14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by SouthUrn [​IMG]
    Pot meet kettle. Perpetually posting the same redundant opinion oriented questions looking for other opinions only slows this otherwise great thread down. Worse still using an obnoxious eyesore writing 'style'. Vintage shots thread - not post rambling novels about vintage shots thread. Perhaps you're merely upset that you can't keep up commenting jimi.

This thread became even better after placing jimi on ignore over a year ago. Unfortunately when one of you quotes him that garble still leaks through. ;)

Pictures and/or short facts/memories are the way to go.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If we can't agree on what photos should be posted or who can post them it is highly unlikely we'll ever agree on a way to keep our six year olds from being shot at school. Pretty sad isn't it? :(

15. .....

Attached Files:

16. My daughter's father in-law grew up in the Vancouver area, he (Ray) has driven bus in the city for years. He & his wife now live in Ladner, I will send these pics to him he probably knows about some of them.

Do you do any car shows out there? We were at several in Ladner, Richmond and White Rock B.C. last August. Ray has a restored green '67 Dodge Coronet Sport and goes to many shows in that area.

17. More from the Ladner area, the one of the house being moved, is the Burr family homestead, as in Raymond Burr.

Attached Files:

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Interesting stuff.. I'm, sure glad
    though, that you had the foresight
    and self-control to not post the actual
    information and the additional pics
    here and instead, chose to just put out
    the link to it. Otherwise you might
    have pissed off certain self-appointed
    potentates and arbiters of propriety!
    Heaven forbid:)eek:) that you'd ever
    want to risk doing that!!! :D

Mart3404
    ====================

19. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

20. I learned a lot from my D.I. Perhaps we could all just sit back, chill out and take some advice from SGT Hulka (Stripes)
    [​IMG]

21. I do go to many cars shows in the Vancouver area, and actually work just up river from Ladner, on Annacis Island. Wouldn't it be something, if we've already walked past each other, and didn't know it!

22. scrubba

scrubba

If we can't agree on what photos should be posted or who can post them it is highly unlikely we'll ever agree on a way to keep our six year olds from being shot at school. Pretty sad isn't it? :(

This post should be "Pinned "!

scrubba

23. I will be back out that way next August, hope to make it to a few shows prior to our cruise out of Vancouver to Eddie's land - Alaska - for 2 weeks.

24. Kissimmee (yeah, that's what it said!) Florida, about 1955. Looks more like next to the ocean someplace, maybe Daytona or Cocoa?

[​IMG]

25. About 1963, unknown location
    [​IMG]

26. I'll be sure and wear a HAMB shirt to all the shows in August.;) I'm hard to miss, at 6'2" and 300 lbs. Here's some more pics.

Attached Files:

27. empire

empire

1947 KAISER K85 4-DOOR SEDAN
    (No examples exist – listed for historical purposes only)
    Factory PR photo of the K-85 featuring whitewall tires. Note the wider rocker panel molding and the
    curvature of the front bumper as it wraps around the front fenders.
    Number produced: 2 Prototypes
    During World War II, Henry Kaiser tried to work up a viable automobile for the postwar market.
    He wanted his automotive namesake to have front wheel drive and sell competitively with Ford.
    Although Kaiser’s “Hobby Lobby” came up with a number of ideas, none were considered
    worthwhile. With the creation of Kaiser-Frazer Corporation, the Kaisers had access to GrahamPaige & its engineering expertise. The low-cost, front wheel drive project was back on the table.
    Graham’s agreement with Howard Darrin to license Darrin’s car design was amended to allow
    Kaiser-Frazer use of the property, and K-F engineers, under former Hupp Vice-President Vern
    Drum set to work on developing the new engineering for the Kaiser car. Drum and Ed
    MacCaslin decided to try and incorporate a number of new concepts. Besides the front wheel
    drive, the car would have a unit body, torsion bar suspension and magnesium castings for front
    end components. Kaiser hyped the car from a team that (at least publicly) never failed to
    deliver, but it seemed that the public was skeptical. When the company started taking orders
    (for delivery at an unspecified date, at an undetermined price) in January 1947, Graham-Paige’s
    Frazer was the runaway first choice.
    Kaiser-Frazer’s engineers were having a variety of problems moving the concept into production
    form. Originally, the company expected to spend $200,000 to hand-build 4 test cars. Reality
    was that nearly $450,000 was sunk into just 2 automobiles. In January 1946, Henry Kaiser
    attempted to ramrod Kaiser-Frazer into leases on 3 facilities which, together, could produce high
    volumes of aluminum sheet. The idea was to use aluminum for car bodies rather than the hard
    to get sheet steel. Problem was that up to that point there was no viable way to weld aluminum
    the way you could weld steel. A deal was brokered in the boardroom at Willow Run that gave
    Kaiser Engineers, Inc. 90 days to work out a way to weld aluminum. If it could not be done, the
    Henry J. Kaiser Corporation would take over the plant leases. The War Assets Administration
    (WAA) agreed to the deal. The steel K-85 bodies were scrapped out, and 2 replacements were
    made by hand from aluminum. Ninety days later, the engineers had to admit defeat, and the
    leases were transferred to Permanente Metals Corporation another Kaiser company; the

Great find..thanks

Les

28. Now that's "TRADITIONAL" to the extreme.:eek::D

29. empire

empire

If we can't agree on what photos should be posted or who can post them it is highly unlikely we'll ever agree on a way to keep our six year olds from being shot at school. Pretty sad isn't it? :([/QUOTE]

I don't think photos have anything to do with bullets and they are NOT posted here.

Live and let live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.