Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Binga,s f100 pickup build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68wagon, May 17, 2011.

1. Scumdog

Scumdog

My '55 F100 fair booms and reverberates, more so under load (But great fun driving through a car-park building listening to the tunes made by the car alarms being set off:D).

ANd I've no sound deadening other than the one layer of carpet.

Even ear-plugs idn't help - dunno how the mrs puts up with it...

2. Hahaa I've done the same thing in a couple of other cars I've owned even had the security guard at my former work stop me going out the gate and accuse me of breaking into cars..................:D

3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Weather. First time the weather has ever affected my plans to attend an event. I am heading to the Port Fairy this coming weekend for the Rod Run. Although I am told detours may be in place. I feel like I should be in a 4wd not a Rod. :mad:

Possibly still on Holidays Mark. Peter Turner would be a good option as he is in Guilford. He is an easy going gentleman to deal with. I've always like the vehicles you have built.

We even had the smoke here in Castlemaine and Bendigo from those fires.
    Sent many into a frenzy with false alarms. Many people see smoke and report it before they see a fire :(.

4. Small update:
    I dropped the F100 at the engineers this morning.
    Fingers crossed everything is ok.

5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Ok Sounds good. Keep us posted. Although I have to ask why leave it with him ? I would not like to just leave it with an Engineer.

6. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Just found this thread, and I have to say i'm really, totally and comprehensively disappointed ...

... that I didn't see it earlier.

I can't get over that fabulous custom painted roof. Really sets that cab off.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Coool build. I'm a sucker for pickups.

8. Great work! Nice truck!!

9. I had to leave it with him as he was fitting me in between other jobs so that I could get it done sooner.

The good thing is that he was very happy with how the front end and motor was installed.

The bad,he was not happy with how the chassis was notched at the rear, even though we used thicker material than stock and boxed the chassis

10. Thank you, it's a pity that no one even notices the roof............:(

Thank you

Thank you

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

any photos of the notch?

sorry.......I just saw it on Page 1.

the problem might be because the sidewall height is half in the centre of the notch, as it is on the chassis rails, and this "could" create stress risers...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  12. He did a calculation on the strength of the original rail versus the notched and boxed rail and said that it was now only 1/3 the strength of the original..........:(

13. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Taking into account the now thicker steel? Interesting.
    Are you going to add some thickness on top of the rails to build the resistance up?
    And if you do, will you still have the clearance you want to fit the bed without having to modify that too?

Sorry for the maybe silly questions but I have no idea what the gap between frame and bed is on these things, given that I live in the land of the diesel economy car...

14. He has given me a couple of options and all involve adding metal to the top and bottom of the rail. I only have about 2 mm clearance from the rail to bed so some mod to the bed will have to be done. I'm thinking about stepping the chassis rail so I can get the rear down a lot more but then it will be Almost impossible to get the wheels off.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. davo461

davo461

Great work, team! Good luck with the notch mods.
    Davo.

16. Scumdog

Scumdog

And the rozzer leave ya alone???

I thought Aussie was tough on vehicle laws???

17. If you are sensible and not drawing too much attention to yourself you'd be surprised at what you can get away with.
    Lots of cars get modified after engineering too.

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Let us know how it works out.

19. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

The way mine is set up (front hanger low, back hanger high, looooong Valiant ute springs) as long as you jack from under the chassis rail, and jack reasonably high, you get enough 'hang' on the leaves to get your wheel 'down and under' for changes......but the roadside option is just to call a flatbed.....:)

20. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Any updates, news on the project ?

21. Simon it goes back to the engineer next week.

I have welded the extra straps to the top and bottom of the rails and refitted the tub.
    I also had to fit a proportioning valve in the brake lines and take off the tow bar, it was more home made than original Hayman Reese, i will put it back on later.

22. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Sounds like he gave you alot of work. What was the fuss over the tow bar ? Never heard of that before.

23. Tow bar didn't have the load rating stamped on it.
    He said he could do the calculations on it for me but it would probably cost $500 to do it so I took it off until I get Rego.

24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I have never heard of that before.

25. Just got back from the engineer and everything has been signed off.
    Now I just have to get it through the roadworthy certificate and I can get it regoed.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. Wardog

Wardog

Well done. Great build, post some photos when it's all set how you like it.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Well done. The Roadworthy part should be easy now you have the engineers report.

28. my55f100

my55f100
    from Utah, USA

Wow, just read through all of this thread. Amazing job! I hope I can half as good with my 55

29. Thanks and I'll post pics soon

It sailed through the RWC today.
    I was a little worried as I hadn't used these blokes before but there was no need as they were really cool with it.

Thanks I'm pretty happy with it too.

30. Forgot to say that I'm booked in for Rego next Tuesday.
    Hopefully there will be no problems with them, then it will be time to put some miles on it.