Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm sick of cheap autoparts store starters. What kind are you running?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixtysicks, Feb 10, 2013.

1. sixtysicks

sixtysicks

I'm getting tired of putting a new starter every year. I just keep getting them from the local auto supply and they suck. I'm willing to spend some cash to buy a good one and wanted some opinions. Anyone running a high torque mini starter?

2. slammed

slammed

An original OEM that is rebuilt by a old school professional will get you on track. A old master from town here passed away a couple of weeks back. Search all the neighboring towns if you have to.

3. Got them on both my '32's both them at the Chevy dealer,,yeah the cost a little more but I haven't replaced one in 4 years now. HRP

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

NAPA. I was skeptical at first, but a ton of guys in the know persuaded me. I'm now a believer ....

5. second fiddle

second fiddle

I rebuild chevy starters myself, but its been awhile. When I recently went to buy a rebuild kit. the guy at the counter and chuckled "we havent had those kits in years". Its harder to get the parts these days!

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

NAPA, or the Dealer, we have an old school parts store as well with a machine shop in the back, doin valve jobs, and other work...

I havent been in an Autozone in I cant remember how long...kinda reminds me of walmart crap.

7. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

They're getting fewer and fewer neighbor, but I've had great success with specialty places that rebuild alternators, starters, blower motors and such.

We had Cade's in Fort Worth, but Mr Cade retired and closed up shop. Let me check with a couple of garage owner/pals and see where they're going now. Standby.

8. Verminator

Verminator

Local rebuilder E & D Electric does all my starters and alternators, even the gear reduction CSR starter in the race car. Very close to the same money as the junk stuff and stand behind their work. It's worth your time to get friendly and support the local guy. He will take care of you.

9. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I use a powermaster mini starter on all of my cars. Never had a problem with them.

B:)B

10. primed34

primed34

I have mine rebuilt at a local shop with big block parts. They have lasted for years. Should be a rebuilt shop in your area if you look around.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Try to find an original and have it rebuilt by an auto electric guy, if you can have two done and have a spare, box store ones are junk nappa is somtimes good, but they have been getting cheaper, they have more then one line of products, get the more expensive one if you go that route

12. BobMcD

BobMcD

I had a local auto electrical rebuilder put together a mini starter for my 327. I've had it for at least 10 years and works great. On my other vehicles, I try and fix the OE starter. Sometimes it's just a solenoid contact or brushes worn. NAPA Power Supreme line is also a good product.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have use CarQuest with good luck, or local shop to total rebuild with ALL new parts, not just the ones that are bad.

14. GREASER815

GREASER815

I am running a 1950 Chevrolet starter rebuilt by my local old timer expert for $25. No problems so far.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you saw the catalog rebuilders order parts from, there are about 4 different grades of replacement parts. Guess which ones the cheap rebuilders use, who get the wholesale contract from the parts stores?

Take your starter generator or alternator to your local auto electric shop or rebuilder and tell him you want the best parts available. The last time I did this, the best parts cost about $20 more than the ones he usually uses (which are not the cheap ones). Total cost for a rebuilt alternator, about half what the chain stores charge.

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

We use nothing but gear drive starters on every engine that goes out the door.

17. being i went to tech school in 1962 started fixing them then and still do most of them myself
    some of the real new CS stuff i have to buy
    being broke makes a person a lot more handy, i cant believe that most on here go and buy a JUNK rebuilt, even a good used junkyard part is usually better

18. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

What type of engine you got?

19. After years of getting crap parts from Vato Zone or Pep Boys I started to buy my stuff at Napa. More costly but I don't have to replace them !!!!! Starter and Generator have been on my Falcon for over 15 years!! Roadster Starter is going on 35 years.

20. Giddyup

Giddyup
    from Denver, CO

Are you having to replace the starter gear drive itself or the solenoid? If it's the gear drive, check to make sure you don't need shims. Solenoid? Check your electrical system. I'd love to blame cheap parts, but one per year sounds like you have other problems.
    And those mini starters? I bought one for a chevy small block once. Other than the mounting block, it was the same as the starter for a Toyota 4cyl. They do work great, though.

21. phat rat

phat rat

I've been using the Delco minis for the last 15 years. Work great and have never had to replace one

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Do a search and you'll find a thread I did about my SBC starter troubles. Long story short, after replacing FOUR starters in FOUR months:mad:, I ended up changing starter bolts after market studs and setting my timing. That was a fix. But I later also bought a mini hi-torque because the price was right.

Anyway, the mini cranks my engine at the slightest turn of the key. I still had to shim it, but starters are like that sometimes.

I'm a Chevy guy because i was raised that way, but their starters and the way they are installed is a bad design at best. I have the new one sitting in it's box, on a shelf.

So, check your timing, use the right bolts and if that doesn't work try a hi-torque.

Oh, the hi-torque was CHEAPER than the NEW starter. Go figure.

23. GREASER815

GREASER815

24. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

If you resort to a cheapy auto parts store with thier forever warrenty, NEVER EVER, give them the original, keep it and tag it. Give them any shit replacment you have, they do not look or care, then you have the right one to rebuild. Live and learn.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a brand new AC Delco starter for the OT/DD. It said, on the box, "Made in China, for AC Delco." That said, it has been fine so far.

26. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

ive been running napa starters for years with no issues...

27. Hotrod 35

Hotrod 35

It will have a starter from NAPA, 13 to 1, 288 cu in. The starter usually last me about 4 years. Same as the Gel Cell battery. A hell of a lot longer then the engines last me.

28. CSR in one of my cars and MSD in another one, while my other ones still have their O.E.M. units.

29. lht

lht

i ran a cmp taiwan ted mini behind a big block with 10 to 1 comp for 5 years no problem it also has clockable selinoid witch was helpful for me ie. bbc in 70 amx i also had timeing cranked up to 38 degrees witch is also a starter killer just make sure your runnin good cables and a strong battery

30. Local shop in Arlington, Tx. Reams Auto Electric. 817-261-1183 Arkansas Ln. At Bowen Rd. he has parts to build your own battery cables also.