Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a pic of the backside of a Team3 Fueler wheel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Looking for a pic of the mounting flat area that sits flush against the axle flange......I looked around and could not find one........normally a wheel has a large dia. boss that comes out w/ the flat that seats up to the drum or rotor hat, mine are machines entirely flat and the caliper side hits the inside of the rim before it seats against the rotor hat....I can make it work w/ some fab work...After doing some homework I do have the correct Wilwood brake kit w/ the correct offset..looking to compare......Thanks, Littleman

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Here is a pic of the back side of my new ET Fueler wheel........to me it looks like the raised boss mounting surface was machined way down ?....The side of the caliper hits the rim before the rim can seat....even w/ the extra 1/4'' thickness added by having the rotor hat in place !.........These would work w/ a drum brake setup only as they sit......

[​IMG]

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I think a lot of there wheels have an extra thick center so they can accomodate a lot of back space options.
    Was your request for a lot of back space, or the max back space for what was offered?

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Asked for the largest they offered...6-3/4''........I will talk to them Monday......but I would think that the back spacing would be dictated by the back section width welded on to the front side of the wheel...and not mess w/ the mounting boss thickness...unless I wanted more back spacing than they offered........Dave

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's a lot of BS are they must be 11" or 12"

I did see this on there site
    *CAUTION: Deep backside settings, more than 4", or Reversed profile 15" 2-piece wheels may not have a brake drum or caliper diameter larger than 13 1/8". See Tech Specs page.

Bitchen project by the way.... Way outside the box and cant wait to see it in action.

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Correct...they warn the buyer about the max. usable I.D......which I had that covered, but never said they would alter the mounting pad if you chose 6-3/4'' backspacing......They are 12'' wide wheel........thanks, Dave

7. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Dave, Im running the same wheel in a 16x12, I think 6.75 is my backspace also, I can look at mine tommorow if thats any help for ya, Mark

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

That would be great if you have the time........I like the wheels, I like the company, the guy was great over the phone...I am just wondering about the mounting boss.....Right now I think I need to buy another pair of wheels.....I do not think it would be wise for me to run a spacer to make these work while trying to run allot of HP to the ground, I always avoid the use of a spacer....althou the rotor hat is like a spacer...I bought a deeper Wilwood hat to offset the caliper...but it looks like I need to re-invent the wheel to do it......Littleman

9. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Sorry its late, and not sure if the pic helps but here it is

[​IMG]

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have been running a 1" spacer for 15 years now on my 7.0 dragster.
    The trick is to make the spacer really tight to the studs (shank style studs and flanged lugnuts) so there is no twist movment under a hard launch. What you are trying to do is to trick the assembly that the brake hat is thicker than it is. The shear on the studs must be radial, any movment or twisting load WILL crack in tension and radial forces will finnish the job

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks for taking the time to take the pic !....Mine was given a heavy haircut in comparison...I talked to the owner whom seems to be a real nice guy....He explained that he achieved the back spacing from both the back side they welded on and facing off the mounting pad combined.........I explained this was not spelled out on his website and sounds like he will be updating his site to reflect how he gets the heavy offset in this case......I got my setup to work the other night w/ no spacer added..again.....super nice guy...I would not have picked this offset if I knew how it would be obtained...no biggie for figured it out anyways.

I did machine up some spacers during the madness trying to get this to work...I made them a very close tolerance fit...as dreracecar suggested..I agree that they need to be tight....If I ended up using them I was also going to countersink from the back side of the hat and thread them into my spacer, yes..overkill..but that would have made me feel better about using a spacer...These counter sunk bolts would have been captured once the hat was slid into place against the axle flange, w/ no worries of them backing out.......Basically making the hat mounting surface thicker........Looks like I will not need to use them thou.

Thanks, Littleman Dave