Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Olds 88 - what mfg repair panels have you used

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I'm looking at buying a bunch 50 Olds 88 repair panels from a couple of different manufacturer
    Classic2Fab in Michigan, EMS, Classic Fab in Mass and others

mainly i'm looking for the bottom pieces
    inner & outer rocker panels all floor pans & lower 1/4 panel areas
    areas door to wheel opening upper wheel opening and wheel opening to bumper

most of the parts fit Chevy & Pontiac of the same year

any opinions one these, like to hear what you have to say

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I had the best fit using EMS panels. All repo panels need some massaging.
    Specifically, I used the inner and outer rockers, rear quarters in front of the rear wheels, and all or parts of floor pans. The inner rear wheel well fronts I fabricated out of another company's 1/4 panels. If you have to replace body/rocker panel to frame supports know that Olds and Chevy are not the same but Chevy can be modified to splice in and work. Other things I recall, if possible cut the existing 1/4 panel an inch or so in back of the door opening. That way you do not use the forward edge of the repop 1/4 and keep the same crisper factory bend in the door opening. Be able to back away and look at the car as you go. I screwed up the rockers on one side the first time by bringing them straight back instead of tapering in to the rear fender.

ems customer service likes this.
  3. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the info in your post

a pair of Classic2Fab front pans came with the 49 Pontiac coupe i bought on Hamb
    there decent 18 gauge that's one reason i was
    looking at that brand - there shipping was priced right for the 13 pieces i might order
    the more info i get helps make my decision easier about fit and quality

4. Rocket88

Rocket88

I got mine from Chev's of the 40's.
    They needed a little tweek.

5. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Checked out there sheet metal parts lots of stuff
    i like the tall front 1/4 to door piece

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Bobert & Rocket88, just ordered the EMS Part # 203 lower front quarter panel both sides

Chevy of the 40's supplies that same EMS part

Thanks for you help :)

12-13-12 - just got these 1/4 repair panels from EMS today
    nice stuff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i'm happy with the quality now just to get then on

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. I've got a similar project going on a '50 Olds Model 76 2-door. I'll be interested to know how your replacement sheet metal parts work out. I need to replace the inner and outer rockers, floor pans, trunk floor and rear quarters. I get to MN a few times a year, in the St Paul area.

8. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I'm in the same boat as you i need inner & outer rocker panels
    they some rust but that's the time to just replace instead of
    patching

the rear EMS quarter panel patches are for Chevy's they do not have
    the recess like the Olds for the bumper

i checked out your 50 Olds album

a lot of guys i know got a whole floor from a donor car they saved time
    and money doing a one piece repair, i'm thinking about doing that myself

my body work is on hold till i get the motor & trans bolted in so that will be quite a while

when you come to St Paul send a pm i'm less then a hour west of there

nice to see another 50 Olds coupe getting saved :) being your Father's 50 Olds even cooler

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. I used (the center part of) an EMS tailpan on my 50 Pontiac - nice heavy material - took a little tweaking, but no big deal.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

thanks for buying from us!

a tech note, many 49 chev pieces will work on a 1950 olds 88, not all, and some ok with a bit of tweaking ( hey its a olds) and some oldsmobiles are not close to 49 chev's.

if you call our shop (216-541-4585) with the year, body&style number from the firewall tag our tech dept will get back to you with a answer on what we have

the ems guy

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these things are garbage. I'm working on a car right now that had these installed by someone else, lucky for me they did not use the front part that has the door jamb in it because the stamping it not as good as factory and the corners are not even close. the worst part is the wheelwell part, I will have to cut it off, and fabricate the corners otherwise the car will never be able to have skirts on it, plus it does not match the rest of the wheelwell. not even close. the corners on the patch panel are rounded, and the factory ones are very tight and square.

[​IMG]

12. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I, as mentioned early on, did not use the portion of the panel next to the door opening because of the difference in sharpness of the bends. Had no trouble at all with skirt fit. Yes you need to fabricate the bends that hold the skirt but that was no big deal. Saved the parts from one side and fabricated the other using two pieces. I don't recall having to cut anything in the wheel well opening.

13. It has been awhile since we last connected. I plan to be at the National Antique Olds meet in Shoreview in a couple weeks. Don't know if you might have considered the same. I'm tackling rebuilding a 324 just now. Have the whole front end off the 50 club coupe. Hope to have the old six pulled before I head to MN.

14. BJR

BJR

A little hijack.... when and where is the National Antique Olds meet in Shoreview MN?

15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I have this for sale if it'll help anyone.

Attached Files: