Register now to get rid of these ads!

Impala GASSER project. Please join in! What ya guys think!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSDemon, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Ya know Wadda, ya could a built another Camaro or Mustang, BUT NO!! you HAD to be different..............:D

Bitchin' Rig, bro;)

2. Ha Ha!

Thanks, but I can only take credit for the body. The chassis was built by a well known and local chassis builder and the car is owned & raced by a guy I know. Oh and he's a Studebaker nut!

He has a Wally from the race this photo was taken.

3. Doc he probably used what he had. I know that a lot of cars that have rolled out of my driveway wer built with what was at hand instead of what could be purchased.

I personally don't care for lift or lower blocks in a front axle. But I know that it gets done and has ben done a lot, evidently it is not as bad as I feel about it.

Graverobber they are no longer legal in most racing venues but it is something that used to get done. I like the use of independent front end, it was actually more common than an axle.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. You asked for opinions, and you got mine. The car in the original picture would be a highly expensive paper weight. Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble, (haha: puns :D) but that car would be nothing more than a show piece. I'm personally not in to show pieces. I'd want to drive the piss out of it, and that's not going to happen in the car you have pictured. The pictures of the other cars that folks have posted are far more realistic. Go slide a trolly jack under the front of one of your cars, and jack it up to that angle, then hop in the drivers seat..... Unless you're 6'4" or better, with a lot of that being torso, it's going to be a bear to drive. You could reposition the seat, but, then you're going to have to reshape the foot wells, unless your knees bend the other way.

I like the 62s as well, probably my favorite Impala of all time. I have a '64 personally, and the '63 is probably my LEAST favorite. I'd rather see '63s get hacked up and be useless than '62s.:rolleyes:;):) I'm also a fan of running the a-arms over the straight axle that you see all the time, but either way, the car you originally posted looks like it's trying to pinch a loaf.:)

5. Super Duty

Super Duty

That blue 62 Bel Air is mine that pictrue was taken six years ago that was the first time I had the car at mooneyes show, I've done more work to car since and then now I can drive it to a show and race it and drive it home before I couldn't suspension was to drastic angles and don't be afraid to drill out the control arms,I built this car and it went through alot of changes reinforced the frame,different stance,wheels,motors,trans,but that's was all fun and learning experience the car is for sell right now asking 7,000 if interested... Car is a blast to drive the best part is all the people's expression's on their face on the street or at swap meet when I roll in and park it....priceless...

Attached Files:

6. I Drag

I Drag

First of all, heavy cars ran in the lower gas classes: c/g d/g e/g, etc, so they were not automatically uncompetitive because of weight.

Secondly, a friend once told me: "you have to exaggerate things on a model". After all, raising a car a scale 2" is hardly noticeable.

Thirdly, all of this talk about gas class, altered class and so forth doesn't matter. I believe the OP is just going for a 'look', not going actual drag racing. Theres really no place for a car like that in modern NHRA drag racing to be seriously competitive, except perhaps Super Street.

Fourth, I wouldn't obsess about the roof conversion. There are tons of other things to do first; you don't even have the basic car yet, right?

I totally dig it and wish you the best. I love Chevy full-size cars. I wish I had the guts to do my 58 like that.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Very true. And good points made. No worries mate all good I appreciate the input. Cheers

8. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Hell yeah! Thank you!

9. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

10. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

11. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

12. txcr13

txcr13

I hope you enjoy your project. Nothing like being fired up to get it kicked off. Since you asked...
    The nose of the model is absurdly high, as in undesirable and undrivable at freeway or drag strip speeds. Like someone else said, it will be squirrely to handle.
    Jacking cars so high you can walk underneath and change oil is a very common mistake for people who are trying for a "gasser" look. If a person does their research, you will see that not many cars were built with the nose radically high, and those that were dropped back down because of handling issues. As a matter of fact the really fast boys in A/G or AA/G had the nose slightly down, or level. That's part of what made them behave going through the lights.
    Be careful on your choice of fron axle. Don't put something under there that looks like it came off an 18 wheel truck, and don't put six inches of blocks on a dropped axle to raise the car. Makes the car look poorly engineered.
    To each his own...its your car. These are just the observations of one guy who raced a gasser in the 60's. Doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I lived in the era and have a good idea of what constitutes a nice looking gasser. It's easy to build a car people will stare at. Put an outdoor toilet in the back of a pickup and it is sure to draw a crowd. Its a lot more difficult to build something people will look at with understanding and appreciation for what it represents.

13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yuck! There is that ever existing fine line of what is too much and not enough. Level sucks for me, the initial model car in this thread is too much, but I dig it!! Absolutely bitchin'.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Graverobber 63 that 64 is bad ass I would drive it like I stole it.
    Seen a 61 pontiac bonnaville bubble top on craigs list 2,500 in mid MO guess noy much help in Austraila

15. deto

deto

Dude as impractical as it may be that car is rad!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. BSL409

BSL409

X2
    you will never get these big cars to hookup with the front in the air

17. steamer

steamer

I'm building a '63. I'm dealing with the x frame right now and laying out my rear suspension. Keep the thread going,I need inspiration.

18. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I dig 'em all. I'ts my personal opinion but... white walls belong on kustoms and not gassers. They make it look like a rat rod or something. Also they do look a lot better and more professional when they sit level. Again just my opinions.

19. txcr13

txcr13

X2. Amen!

20. BSL409

BSL409

21. steamer

steamer

I think the rule for front lift is 28" from the center of the crank to the ground. High front and back look like a Street Freak, not a race car.

22. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

^^^^^ the rule was 24.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This is a Impala gasser
    What you have in mind is a Street Freak but I like it.

Attached Files:

24. raidmagic

raidmagic

Some pretty cool cars pictured there, anyone see a 60 Impala, Biscayne gasser or streak freak?

25. Looks great!

26. Actually, it's a Super /Stocker...Possibly F/X

Yes, I actually looked through five pages of this..

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

made a mistake, oh well. Thanks man:)

28. BlackJackPG

BlackJackPG
    from Idaho!

Man, you guys are nuts! These things are sweet!

Pete

29. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

I know right??! looks badass!

30. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Badass looks sick!! Cheers