Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

At one time mine was using the stock rear and torque tube. I never moved the motor mounts but mine was also an 8BA and I also ran an electric pump, the motor was right up against the firewall. I had to do a little massaging on the firewall in a couple places too.

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I will have it fit in the car in about an hour. Ill post pics

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Really enjoying this thread, great build!

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Ok. The bastard is finally in there. Not happy I had to slice my firewall but I did .. It's a tight squeeze. Worse than I imagined. Ill never be able to run a mechanical fuel pump. I'm going to plasma cut a cover for it that will have a pipe welded at an angle and a breather on it .. Ill run a 6 volt elec pimp inside the firewall between the tank and the sediment bowl. As long as I keep it under 5 psi the bowl will not leak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Elrod

Elrod

You used a 33-34 rear trans support. That's why you had to cut the firewall. You should have got a 40s style trans support. About 1 inch difference.

And why do you curse so much? Life is good. You're building a hotrod.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I think I understand what your saying about the trans support . I never gave that a thought . Life is good. Building a hot rod is great..

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Not so much up to speed on what the difference of parts is on some things . Any help is appreciated. Ill see if I can find the trans support mentioned and do it right

8. Carter

Carter

Ben, I should have that trans support. I'll look in the morning and let you know.

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Pm'd you ... I have no problem coming down tomorrow.. I would really like to slide this forward and gain my clearance for the firewall

10. Elrod

Elrod

What trans crossmember are you using or are you going home built?

The later trans mounts also had two different spacings for the feet. I'm heading to bed now so I don't exactly remember, but if you're using an F1 crossmember, you need the narrower spaced feet. 8" if I remember correctly. (Someone else might chime on)

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm Building my own. All plasma cut and broke In a press. East to build and will look good .

12. Elrod

Elrod

Cool. Your spacing on the feet won't matter then.

13. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thank goodness and Ryan for the HAMB!
    Without those old wrecking yard guys and that 100 year old skinny guy behind the local parts counter any longer we would be screwed without this place.
    I bet there was a guy in every town back in the day that could rattle off exactly what you would need for this kind of stuff. Amazing lil build ya got going there!!!!

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Pleasant surprise in the mail today... 1st.... My hamb dash tag! 2nd... My other NOS water pump! Today we will fire the engine and re adjust the motor mounts again and put a spacer in the coupler. That will give me the 3/16 needed to clear everything and still be safe with drive line angles

[​IMG]

15. Carter

Carter

Elrod, I was just talking to Ben and was doing some measuring in the garage, and I can't find any difference in overall flange to flange length of the rear bearing retainer on any I have. I checked 32-6, 37-40, and 42-8.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

16. Russ Tee

Russ Tee
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

This is an awesome build thread and pictures of old Ford parts on the dining room table makes it even better.

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well I fired the flathead today... My starter must be weak cause 6v will barley crank it. So I'm gonna have to work on that. But anyways, I jumped it with 12 and it fired right up. Sounded healthy . Very strong . Carried wonderful oil pressure using fresh 10-40. I run the rpms up a lil. Oil started flowing out of te supercharger vent .. I guess 1/4 in line is to small for a return . It supplied by 1/4 and with the angles needed to dump into the intake, I can't bend 3/8 tight enough and I refuse to use rubber hose . . I wonder if 3/8 is even small enough ? Not sure how to go about this one yet

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Here is a video of it running. Can't seem to just make the video show up on here so ill attach a link... With junk starter , explains the jumper cables .... Small amount of antifreeze still In the heads. I have alot of tuning to do but it runs and everything works fine which is all I wanted to see. I did switch to a 3/8 tube drain on the charger.... Overflows after a while... Cleaned the vent out to make sure it could let air in. That may of helped ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ry518bQqNM&sns=em

19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Cool! you just have to put the last part of the youtube code in the video icon... 0ry518bQqNM

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Thanks Russco just figured that out lol

21. sick man, congrats on the fire up. you got a 6v battery? Is it in good shape? Mine don't turn my inline 6 for crap. I just reverse the wires on a 12v battery and it fires right up.

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I have 2 brand new 6 volt and one 8 volt. We usually put the 8 volt in our old tractors so they start good. My starter is just shit. . I got it from a nice old guy for 40$.. It works and its rebuildable so I'm happy

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Nice job. cutting the firewall is not a crime! make the clearance, make it work. motor sounds good!

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Last time I drove it as a stocker...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bj5X-4hOg10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Cleaned shop today. It was a cluster with two projects going at once .. My brothers 31 dodge is here being built also..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  26. box50

box50

Very cool my friend looking good.

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Today didn't go so well..... One of those days that everything I touched broke or screwed up.. So I threw in the towel .. This thing is really fighting me to be put in... I'm about ready to jerk the body off the frame and just do it all at once and not drive it for next summer . Rather than fight with everything. ..... I had to vent!

28. oh man the sways of a build. Some days are great, others are like WTF am I doing? Its gonna fight you especially the first ones. Makes it that much better when its all done and your driving down the road just listening to the engine. Radio tuhhhh could care less for them in a hotrod. You'll get there. Its only metal, its only waiting to be shaped to your liking, its and art and your the artist. Just one of them days man. don't sweat that shit.

29. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Step back and take a breath, You're doing great!

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Ok.. So I solved my breather hitting fire wall problem.. I purchased a 6 volt tiny little elec fuel pump ill hide inside the car.. And I built this oil fill/breather tube ... Works perfect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]