Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Gas Smell in Cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Feb 8, 2013.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I got a 1960 f100 and I figure the 57 thru 60 are probably the same.
    On a hot day or when I fill up with gas I seem to get a bad gas smell in the cab.

To me it seems there is no vent so it must vent thru the cap.

Has anybody else had this issue and how did you solve it.
    I've tightened the screws around the sender unit and tried doing the same with the filler tube clamps and outlet tube, but for now I am still getting the gas smell.

Just wondering if this means I need to replace the sender gasket.
    If so with what material.:confused:

There does not seem to be a leak in the tank as such so I can only assume that one of the obvious entry and exit point is the cause!!!

Anybody got any ideas or experience with dealing with such an issue...

Attached Files:

2. Pretty common...

Concours Parts has everything you need (I use them almost exclusively for my Fomoco products) as does Dennis Carpenter.

Buy the sender gasket, a new rubber hose & clamps (between the steel filler and the tank) and a new grommet where it passes through the cab. Get a fresh gas cap from one of those sources also. If you do all of these things, it really helps a lot.

3. Ole don

Ole don

Every truck I ever drove with a gas tank inside would smell of gas from time to time. It takes a very small splash to smell up the cab.

4. I agree...

I can't believe it took me 20 years of getting a buzz in the cab before I spent the $40 +/- to correct the problem.

The rubber hose between the (steel) filler neck and th tank is a BITCH to get on there. I wish someone had warned me! Totally worth it though.

5. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I had a 68 F100 when it was a couple years old and if you filled it with gas and parked it on a slant, gas would leak out the cap, but it had a gas smell most of the time.

6. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I fixed this problem on my 64 F100. I put the tank in the back, between the frames rails.

7. My old '53 Ford truck never seemed to bother me with the windows rolled down.

Summer time and heat in the cab really increased the fumes,,a new gasket under the sending unit and new hosed made a great improvement. HRP

8. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Another good reason to stop smoking. :p

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, damn right about that.

10. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Tighten the sender unit ring, but don't over tighten it as you can deform the ring and you can get a small leak.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I figure after reading everybodies posts that I will do the sender gasket first up and see if there is any improvement.

If not I'll do the filler neck hose.

I've recently installed a new locking cap from Bob Drake.

After a closer inspection it does look like there is some gas stains around the sender flange.

Sure be nice to be free of that gas smell once and for all...

12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

they from the factory with the smell......poor design - mine is still in the cab - a mustang tank works great between the rails...

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, I changed the sender gasket and it seems to have reduced the smell by a good 70%, so I figure I will follow with a cahnge out of the filler hose next.

Thanks to all who posted the good advice.
    I am looking forward to having that gas smell reduced to zero or close enough if possible as it is not all that user friendly on hot days or long runs the way it was...