Register now to get rid of these ads!

GEMMER steering boxes - model number and specific applications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I know Gemmer made steering boxes for everything from cars and trucks, to forklifts, boats and probably Zambonis.

Hoping this can be a thread to catalog each model, it's specific application (if known) and possible parts interchangeability with other boxes. I'll start with what I have.

30755 = Chris Craft boat

2. my 57 f100 box has 3CC31 on it

i need a new worm gear, anyone have a source?

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. pcterm2

pcterm2

4. big creep

big creep

i have this, hope it helps?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks...that's great info.

Neal

6. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Great thread Kevin.
    I have a Hudson type 1 that was in my 32 fiver that needs a worm.
    A parts source for these Gemmers would also be a helpful.
    I'll list my number shorty.

7. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Anyone got any pics? I have a steering box on my coupe that I have no idea what it is.

8. big creep

big creep

how about you post a pic, that will make it easier for everybody, incase no one has a picture of your make.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have no idea of the model #, but my 54 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe has a Gemmer hydroguide power steering box.

10. GARY?

GARY?

This thread is an awesome idea!
    Here's pics of a Gemmer II. It has a modified mount flange.

Attached Files:

• boxx.jpg
      boxx.jpg
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
    • box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
  11. tf351c

tf351c

Hi there,
    I've been a member but haven't been here in awhile. Doing alot of work on a 48' Willys jeep pickup. My question is I have come across a Gemmer Steering box with steering tube and wire harness. The numbers on the box: 4CC39. I cannot for the life of me find anything about this box. I want to sell it but don't know where to start!
    Anybody have any clues? I got pics if it will help.
    Thanks,
    Ted

12. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yes, pics would help.

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Gemmer 31200, shown here nude, in a 1951 Mercury. Probably the same for 1949, 1950.

Attached Files:

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The numbers in that chart, like Gemmer 2,3,4 identify the basic type, but do not really ID the box as there were many configurations...in the case of that chart the numbers serve to take you to generic adjustment procedures applicable to several makes and MANY variants. If you look at just Ford Gemmer 3, in cars it came in probably a dozen variations by length, and then they used 2 different versions in pickups, and so on.
    Numbers on the casting don't get you to the application, not a problem if modifications are going to happen, big problem in a semi stocker where you want the wheel and lock to be in the right places...
    Ford ones may have a cast G or F...gemmer manufacture or gemmer box made by Ford, internally different by different heat treatment procedures, though the parts fully interchange. Ford PN's on castings largely ain't, and long number on othe gemmers are probably Chrysler or other numbers...probably referring to the actual casting and not the assembly.

15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

We have a 1915 Briggs -Detroiter sitting in the shop ,where it has sat for the last 20 years as we try to find a steering assembly for it.None of the guys over at the AACA forums have any idea of what it would have had so I am guessing either Ross or Gemmer. (mercedes Benz used Ross steering boxes up to 1952 ,with a ZF name on them) .
    So,I shopped on the 'bay And found a really early gemmer set up with steering wheel controls etc and a number 19050 -1 . i have no idea what it is from, except the the remains of the wheel had wooden spokes. it may be newer than what I needed but I can work around that by making the controls look pre WW1. :D

Attached Files:

16. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

17. 208custom

208custom

Here is one I picked up today. Ive been searching through pics on the internet for a couple hours with no luck, All I can imagine is that it must be from a 20's car looking at the steering wheel. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Mike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 208custom

208custom

I would like to Update my Last post with what I could find on the web. It appears that the box and wheel I posted may belong to a 27-8 Whippet. This is my best guess according to the limited photos I could find. Maybe that will help someone else later down the road.

19. wings515

wings515

20. wings515

wings515

This is very interesting to me. I am working on a very tight box. Could you post the next page and a cross reference of what a Gemmer (2) and (3) relates to. Are there part numbers associated with these (2) and (3) or pictures?
    Thank you very much.
    Regards,
    wings515

21. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

1952 Dodge B-3-HHA 2ton truck
    GEMMER 4CC02

22. carmuts

carmuts

I have a Ross steering column that is from the 20's. It has a light switch and bail on it simular to the very early 28 Model A's. No clue what it is off of. I Spent nearly a whole weekend on the web afew years ago trying to figure it out. Best guesse is it from a mid 20's Studebaker, but never confirmed it. Rod