Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

x2... needs to be slower, but if it was a horizontal, chances are it was MADE for metals?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It is a metal saw it just cuts slow but not having any experience with a vertical saw not sure what to expect out of it. The blade does not move very fast.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

if you intend to use it for metals, you're all set! :cool:

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Cool guess I just need to solw down

5. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

different thickness needs different speeds.as well as teeth per inch.
    by googling blade speed i found somewhere in the area of 300 feet per minute.if you mark blade and count how many times it goes by in a minute,that should tell you.
    sheet metal needs quite a fine blade.

nice idea on the table,methinks.
    contemplating something like that myself.

6. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Wasnt there some sort of tool on this thread where they modified a bow flex machine? I can't remember what it was used for though. I thought it was on this thread, I may be mistaken.. anyone else see it on here?

I searched for it and came up with nothing.

7. txturbo

txturbo

I modified a 1945 14" Delta wood band saw for cutting metal. I added an intermediate shaft between the motor and bottom blade pulley to slow it down.

8. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

How did u do that??? I want one!

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

9. lawman

lawman

Neat little vise !!! Great work.

10. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

What could a bow flex be made into? Any ideas? I have access to one..

It is similar to this: [​IMG]

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

So im not the only one who owns a bowflex and doesnt use it. Mine makes a nice laundry rack. And I used to have this girlfriend.... but shes gone now sadly

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sounds like you need to find another use for yours, too. Must not have been as good for her as it was for you. I vaguely remember a thread with something made froma Bowflex, or was that a treadmill?

13. Muscles ?
    Painting/hanging rack
    Heavy bag stand
    BDSM equipment
    Under hood bench + tool stand for big vehicles or when you need them on stands and under hood.

14. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

See I thought I seen it on here.. I am glad I wasn't the only one.. it could have been a treadmill. I still can't find it and I went through all the pages...

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

15. This is pretty "caveman"; but it worked for me.

I wanted to put three bends in a piece of 1/4"X4" flat bar. I had picked up an old press last summer; but hadn't got around to making any tooling. Wasn't finding anything in the steel rack to fabricate a lower die; but then I noticed a section of a '40 axle, used that with a short piece of DOM and made quick work if bending the 1/4"X4" bar.

Attached Files:

16. My cousin built this machine. My buddy bought it from him and left it at our shop. Two english wheels,press,planishing hammer and a sheet metal break. You can make just about anything with it....

Attached Files:

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow we need a lot more pictures of that^^^^^^^^

18. Treadmills make great sources for power.
    DC motors are great for drill press, band saw, mills, lathes, hammers, bead rollers.
    Most of them can be had cheap or even cheaper FREE

19. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Motors of washing machines make a great drive with lots of power for almost anything - and they're for free at junk yards... :)

20. txturbo

txturbo

man......that would be a cool platform to mount equipment on....with a light on the overhead part.....and the bows would make good hood springs :)
    Could even use it for a rack to hang parts while painting them.

21. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Reassemble the Bowflex into a giant crossbow and amuse yourself shooting big arrows around.

22. lawman

lawman

That is a work of art !!!!

23. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

that mig/maglite idea is pure genious ! sounds so obvious, but i've never think of it ! :D a great thanks

24. gatz

gatz

Here's a Wood Lathe that my brother built for his son to make up to 36" diameter "bowls" or other wood turning. It will swing up to 36" diameter. There's a modified chain sprocket on the front end of the spindle to mount various work-holding plates.

He used the motor and controls from a treadmill. In the one picture, you can see a Delrin disc with magnets epoxied in place for feedback to the controller. Some experimenting was done to find the right number of magnets. The motor/spindle ramps up and down smoothly. Pulleys are for ranges of speeds.

The wooden "spool" on the shaft is for a leather-strap brake.

The square tubing assembly on the lower shelf provides in/out adjustment for the tool support or rest. It was made from a semi-trailer jack. There are set-bolts to tighten it up. Very stable........and heavy !

I've got some time on it too....doing the lathe work for the spindle and mill work for the tool rest support & some welding.

The bowl being turned in the last pic was a glued-up assembly. The funnel-shaped thing in front is for vacuum - not a light.

Gatz

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  25. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'll second this. i'm putting a new floor pan in my car and doing the under the car welding was so much easier seeing where i was putting a bead before pulling the trigger

26. encorecustoms.com

encorecustoms.com

I KNEW I smelled something burning. Guess I should clean out my sander more often.

Attached Files:

27. TurboX2

TurboX2

I have seen a few HF bead rollers that have been modified to run a gear reduction motor. Does anyone have a ratio and HP for the gearbox and motor? I am building the frame now preparing it for a drive. Thanks.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

29. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

I used a HF 12v winch motor and geared it with a 15 tooth sprocket on the cable reel (1 1/4" bore) and a 48 tooth on the roller shaft. It turns at 6-7 rpm which is perfect for me. The cable reel can be disconnected from the motor so you can turn it by hand for delicate work. The controller can be made into a foot pedal with forward and reverse. I run it off of a HF jump starter pack.

Bead roller mods 004.jpg

Bead roller mods 003.jpg

Bead roller mods 002.jpg

Bead roller mods 005.jpg

Bead roller mods 007.jpg

30. mgermca

mgermca