Register now to get rid of these ads!

Impala GASSER project. Please join in! What ya guys think!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LSDemon, Feb 6, 2013.

1. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Hey all happy to be a newbie here, long time lurker. Learned heaps from
    This forum and happy to finally be a part of it. Grew up in Socal with my dad who is an amazing custom car builder himself and has been his whole life and owe everythig to him. I now reside in Australia. Here's my deal. I'm fixin on building myself a gasser. I've seen a 1000 55-57 Chevy gassers, nova gassers, willies, early mopars and falcons. And want to do a 62 impala gasser/custom. I know it's a bigger car and not the most desirable for a gasser but its differant and has heaps of potential to be bad ass done right. It's still of the era early 60's. I saw this pic (attached) of a model of a 62 bubble top and man it hit home. This is what I want. I cant afford a bubble top and I know I can do a bubble top conversion. Basically a mad street freak with a larry watson style paint job and staggard hilborns 409 or 396 hemi set back and slightly altered wheelbase. Like i said exactly the car in the picture. let me know what ya guys reckon. This car, same stance everything but not bubble top. In my opinion. Who says impalas aren't gassers (yes I know it's a bel air, imagine a 62 impala same everything). This looks unreal!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Its a bit too tall at the nose, but for some reason I like it, but no one ever said I was right in the head.

3. Like it a lot. Get the ass up a little more to match the front.

4. Cortney

Cortney

That's pretty bad ass!! Even if it is a model!! A real one would be sweet!!

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Do it standard gasser style, not a street freak and it will be killer. 14:1 409 stroker, 4-speed, loud paint and it will be a winner

6. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

If you want to make it extra scary, leave the X frame in it.

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

A friend of my fathers bought a new 62 Impala SS 409 425 and around 1967 my Father and his partner put an axle and 12 bolt in it for him he still has the car. He was going to restore the car, so he bought another chassis for it and restored it, he was getting ready to switch the body and decided he likes the car better with the axle and doesn't care about the value because he's never selling it anyway. It's a beautiful low mileage (Black with Red interior car) as he very rarely used it. His father bought a 63 409 (I am not sure which horsepower) new in 63 and the last I heard he still has his father's car as well.

8. Kinda reminds me of this BAD DAD!!!

Attached Files:

9. Pictures or it never happened....

10. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Listen I couldn't care less if you believe me or not, make a trip to Long Island and I'll take you over to meet him. I haven't spoken to him in 15 years but I am sure if I went to his sons station he would be more than willing to show the car.The balls in your court how bad do you want to see it.

11. vettsplit63

vettsplit63
    from Texas

The ought-nines were bad ass cars. The 62 was rated at 409 HP though. They had a sound all their own.

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Yea that was my bad, I was typing away and when i put the 63 in there my mind just went to 425,because of the 2x4 set up, as I said it's still there.

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i like it already---build thread ?

14. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Ya I think it looks insane with the heavy stance like that. I think that's one of the things that make this car's look for sure. Really stoked to get it going.

15. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Hahaha I know I was thinking that about the frame hahaha it's gonna be a bit wild with the X frame bring it on hahaha

16. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

I'm really looking forward to getting this going. Like I said I really love the stance with the ass end low like that. A bit differant and man it's gonna turn heads. With a wild heavy metal flake Watson style paint job as well. Frothing!

17. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Thanks :) also lol I'm new here what's a build thread?? Like a step by step updates in the build with picks an updates kind of thing?

18. Bingo....

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That is a cool as car.... DO IT!!!!

20. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Like I said really looking forward to gettin this car going.im gonna do an impala and pretty much the the car where I want it and decide from there if I want to do the bubble top conversion. What do you all think? As well as what's the work that will go into the conversion. Does anybody know of anyone that has done this convention before and how brutal is it. it's gonna be a fair amount of work for sure no matter what but if there are any ins and outs it would be greatly appreciated. I really like the swooping lines of the bubble top. Unless I get lucky as and find a 62 bubble top project that I can afford to pick up.

21. papajohn

papajohn

This is one that was built by the late Dickie Sills. It was the "big brother" version of my Corvair that he also built.

[​IMG]

22. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Oh man that is bitchin!! Got any more pics of her??
    Cheers

23. COOP

COOP

Guess we're gonna have to succumb to the fact that if we don't or can't post pictures, we're liars.......... can't be thin skinned here.

24. lawman

lawman

Sound's like a wild project !!!!

25. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

If you want a gasser you can't alter the wheelbase, that puts you in an altered class. Raise the back slightly and go for it.

26. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Me thinks he is not going to race it ( Maybe I'm wrong ) and if he does, with that stance it could get a bit squirrely on the top end

27. Talked to a guy once about his X frame Impala with a 427 4 speed and 4.11 gears - he showed me the cracks in the door posts from it flexing when he hammered it - these are the guys who make fun of uni-body Mopars! :eek:

28. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

29. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

I like it! drop the front down a little bit.

30. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I love to see these things leave the line. With the rear bumper almost touching the ground on the right and the left front fender touching the sky!