Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle my Nova yes/no

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerdaddy1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

I agree with 1971BB427- i was going to go the "gasser " look with my Falcon, but went with the MII in the end- but all my other veh's are straight axels- (Scouts) and have driven thousands of miles in safety and comfort-

2. I am not buying that I am afraid that you have not met anyone with a wrench or a buddy with a wrench. Sold my last Pan with drag bars, guy paid full asking price no problem, rode off on it and rode up two hours later and gave me my bars back. he prefered pull backs.

Now you are probably correct about someone not buying the Nova if they don't want a gasser but that is a risk we take with any build style. But you comparison just doesn't make the cut.

3. I for one don't build with the intention of selling,,but I have had to sell a few and I have had the opportunity to enjoy the cars/trucks the way I wanted them to be,,fortunately I must have exhibited good taste and restraint because the moved quickly. HRP

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now THAT I dig. Can we see those pics a little bigger?

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Seriously, I like Smokin Bills car better pre-axle. White with Cragars, VERY tasty. Still trying to decide between dog-dishes and cragars for my own car. Looking at that really makes me think hard about the cragars. NICE.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you cant wait a couple years, i know where there are LOTS of cheap, unfinished Pro-Streeters...

7. 61 chevy

61 chevy

keep the craigers rims

8. touring20

touring20

Had a 64' nova gasser in 74' drove it on the street , till the cops forced me to sell it ! (327 muncie , 12 bolt posi ).... Lots of tickets lots of good times ! The stock front end is weak any way !!

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here is a couple more, click them and they should enlarge..Most people don't realise that this car didn't come with a straight axle if they notice it at all...Most do notice the engine set back but the roll bar is just about invisible...Oh and on a whim [yeah, 10 month project!!] I put AC in, its in the back on the floor...

Attached Files:

10. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

It's not a comparison. It's a point. Point being certain styles don't appeal to the masses when it comes time to resell something. It's not just about cars or motorcycles. Try to sell a pink Hello Kitty AR-15. Or maybe a blinged out Rolex. Again certain styles don't appeal to the masses.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, if I saw someone running at me with a pink hello kitty AR-15 I would probably die both crapping my pants and laughing at the same time! I would carry that, but then again I'm pretty close to bananas...

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting those.

13. I don't see any problem with the straight axle. As said before, how many pickups are running down the road with a straight axle. The issue here is how high is the front end?
    A reasonably built front end with say, a 2" drop axle is going to get the center of gravity back down where the car, altho not handling like a Cobra, is still going to be a decent handling car. Maybe a bit stiff, but nonetheless every bit as safe as any pre 60's pickup. And we keep forgetting that he is going to have better brakes on the speedway axle. And could tune springs and shocks to give a front end that would be way better than the P.O.S. Chevy put under the Nova in the first place. Look at fontana's shoebox. I'll bet you can slam that thing around in the turns with the best of them!

14. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Now over 50 years of continuous popularity.

After 1000's of miles, I still have yet to have come to that conclusion.

Prius owner

15. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here's mine. I might be biased since I have a 65 Nova Gasser, but I have never had as much fun with a car, or had the attention paid to my car, than I have had with the gasser. I bought the same front clip as Smokin Bill did, from Brian Bell at B'z rods. It is a quality piece that is at an affordable price, and Brian was a real cool guy to deal with. Disc brakes, vega steering box, no bump stear. I have put more miles on that car in the past two years than I have on any hot rod. Anyone familiar with the Long Island Expressway and the Brooklyn Queens Expressway would think I was nuts to drive it on those roads, but she did just fine. Is it ugly? Actually mine kinda is, since it still needs the body work and paint done, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I knew if I didnt finish her, Ethyl is her name by the way, I probably wont, having too much fun!

I say Go for it! you already are half way there with the parts you got! Dont like it anymore, spend a weekend putting it back the way it was.

[​IMG]

16. skicker

skicker
    from Gone

Build what YOU want to build! Don't worry about what someone else wants...trust me..

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

There you go..... Listen to Sgt. Grumpy and just DO IT DUDE!! I think it looks damn good to......

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Clearly you havent been around very long. More like about 8 years of popularity, followed by 20 years of obscurity mixed with downright ridicule, followed by the latest resurgence. After they faded from popularity in the mid seventies, they were treated much the same as Pro-Street cars are now. And I was not one of the guys that was ridiculing them during that 25 yr period, I was a fan of solid-axle street cars during that time...
    Now is the time to buy a used-up, unfinished Pro-Streeter, if history is any indication, that will be the next bandwagon...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

All looks good but I would give the ol'Lady back her placemat

[​IMG]

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Whoever built the car that wandered for you, must not know what they're doing! I can let go of the wheel at 70 mph and mine stays in it's own lane with no problems. And by the time I hit the 1/8th mile shutdown at over 90 mph, it's still running true!

21. Vendome

Vendome

Well, I think you've had some very good opinions both pro and con. As with any hot rod, the set up with attention to detail and safety are important. I've had straight axle cars and A-frame cars and loved them all. So when you do make your choice just remember to do a quality job. Oh, and post some pictures, we all like pictures.

Now if it was my project, I'm partial these days to the Q-ship strategy. Dog dish caps, on the outside but all business under the skin.

In any case, good luck with your build.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's exactly why I'm building a second gasser, because I'm having so much fun with the first one! I just sold the '71 Camaro that I bought in 1973 when I got out of the military. Loved the car, but I rarely drove it once the gasser was finished! The Falcon gasser I'm building will be more radical than the Austin, if possible!

23. Dads426

Dads426
    from Olney, MD

I had one in the early 70's. Cool factor - High. Handling - Good. Driveability - like the flintstone mobile (hardly any suspension travel. Speed bumps were a bitch). Would I get another - in a heartbeat!

[​IMG]

24. Jay.S

Jay.S

ImageUploadedByTJJ1360203694.558577.jpg

I have a speedway axle with drum breaks and bias ply tires. This car is a driver and I do not race it. It's purely a street car. I cruise it for 20 min going 70miles when I come into town. No issues whatsoever.

It also handles WAY better than the stock suspension that I had in an Acadian that had a sbc in it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Page 5 now, You got that clip bolted on yet?? Brake lines and steering tomorrow right??

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just what I was Think'in!!

"" All looks good but I would give the ol'Lady back her placemat""

LOL..She been saying that for years..I swap it for a different one once in a while, she notices and I get yelled for that too...At least I'm consistant.;) Man you got that pic to blow up, almost scared me!!!!!

27. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

Im working on it Bill. I had to gather parts today. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.I would post pics if my phone would figure it out.

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have to agree with the fad thing too lately. Just bolting a straight axle on doesnt make every car a cool "gasser". In this case (Chevy II) they are usually really cool, but some of this stuff I am seeing lately called "gassers" makes me think there should be a new "Rat Gasser" class at the local car show.

29. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

YES!!!!! This ^^^^^^^^

30. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

I'm just bust'in yer balls, You will be surprised how quick it will go together, And you'll look for reasons to go the corner store.