Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by homemadehotrod, Feb 5, 2013.

1. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

hey guys. i was thinking of starting to build some 32 ford frames. i was going to put them up for sale on here and possibly other places. just wondering if you guys think i would have a hard time selling them. definitely would NOT charge 3-5K for them like some place. was thinking maybe $1850 painted.

2. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

maybe ill have to come down a little to get my name out there i guess. i wonder how much is too cheap????? i already know what material is going to cost. i guess its how much i want to profit from it i guess.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Join the party, the more the merrier!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

To me the cost of shipping a finished frame world a big consideration on who gets to build one. Try to firgure out that deal befor you go into production. Bob

5. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

shipping. AHHHH. anyone know what it cost to ship a frame. maybe 1800 painted and shipped?????. fair or not. just thinking out loud here

6. kracker36

kracker36

most shipping charges would be 3-500 depending on the carrier. Do you have a frame jig?

7. Fogger

Fogger

Kracker36 asked the appropriate question, Do you have a frame jig? The jig that Gary Maxwell built, at Blackboard Hot Rods, is second to none in accuracy and ease of assembly. I would think that supplying painted frames would create many issues, such as every builder adds his own brackets, suspension attachments, ect. A lot to consider.

8. Painted?,The trucking company's would have most of the paint scraped off before it arrived.

Building frames for sale for the general public you will need liability insurance and a business license. HRP

Speed Gems likes this.
  9. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

not yet. going to get the frame tacked up / square it and build a jig around it. kind of like a roticorie so i can weld the frame up to keep it from moving during welding. (maybe i can add to my rep by saying i am a certified welder to make people more comfortable as far as the quality and strength)

10. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

maybe painting isnt a good idea. thanks

Speed Gems likes this.
  11. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't offer a painted frame. The advantage you have over Blackboard is your location for people in the midwest, especially when BTT50's comes around. The last frames I shipped to and from Dubuque, IA and Southern California were $500 each. One was a Willys frame and one an early Chevy Truck. I have the best luck with moving companies.

12. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i guess getting insurance and a license wouldnt bother me. its making a dozen of them and not being able to sell um

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That might not be the best approach. Building a perfectly square jig first would be a much more reliable method. "32 Ford frames are not a one size fits all kind of thing. Each hot rod is a little different in many ways and the frame should be built to fit those individual requirements. If you did this you may end up with a pile hanging around unless you're prepared to custom build each one. And there are already plenty of shops doing just that.

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There are a lot of factors. What rails are you going to use ASC or JW. What type of X-members. What configuration, stock 32, 30-31 or 28-29 Model A, Pinched front? Currently it looks like the most popular would be a 32 frame for 30-31 Model A's, you'd have to determine that. Less than $1800 would be reasonable.

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

there will always be someone cheaper----people want quality at a reasonable price---if you can deliver that you can succeed --- there are many other factors but you can't win if you don't bet...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  16. Making a stock/factory style '32 K-member with legs' that you bolt into place of an orig rivited one, BUT it has allowance for a 5 speed would sell like hot cakes. Seems most 'traditional hot rodders' want to run a 5 speed :)

17. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i think i am going to build one. take a picture and post it on here and let you guys tell me what changes need to be done if any to get accepted in the hotrod world and the average joe.

18. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

as far as different types go, i dont think that would be a problem. i would almost prefer to do custom builds (to a point) based on what people want. then there not stuck with something they have to modify when they get it. i think it would be worth the extra effort

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Just some information from some one that's been chasing this business for over 30 years. I got my shop insurance from Grundy. After hassling with several local companies they were the easiest to deal with. I have always done custom builds and never stocked a generic chassis. I have shipped bare metal as over the years the various trucking companies have devised many ways to screw up a product that left your shop in pristine condition. Get the loan of a nice original frame if possible to use in the construction of your fixture.

20. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

maybee i will just build 3 or 4 and take them up to back to the 50's and see if i can do something there

21. ken1939

ken1939

I think what you may have is a local business opportunity. For example, I live in Pittsburgh, and I know the cost of getting a frame, even for $1700 from California is nuts. Shipping would blow the deal. So I look regionally. We have folks in the Pittsburgh area that sell this stuff, but being the cheapskate I am, I do not mind driving to Dunkirk New York to get a frame if I save $500.

You are in the middle of some good rodding territory. Can you say "Back to the 50's Weekend" at St Paul?

Start small, make a good product, protect yourself as pointed out here. Then see how it goes.

22. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

a good friend of mine who is a hamber goes up there every year. maybee i will talk to him a little

23. This the best advice you'll hear from one of the masters of the industry. Are you on track to retire this year, Gary? We're waiting for you down here and the sun is still shining but the wind is blowin' like Nebraska. You'll feel right at home. Just went to lunch today with all the guys.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

vintagehotrods: No retirement this year, busier than ever with chassis. Building a new home with new shop in the country outside a town about 20 miles from here. I'll have pavement right to the front of the house for the first time. Finally be able to drive my hotrods. I'll explain the house situation to you at the LARS.

25. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

retirement???? i have 30 years before that happens.

26. That's was for KRYLON32 (Cornhusker Rod & Custom), who has been building Deuce frames for 30 years. Take his advice, and you'll do well.

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Over the last 20 months, I built these two for FREE !,..... Try to beat that price !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. sport fury

sport fury

would like to see someone build a 1932 ford style frame from 2x6 and 2x4 tubing for model A and 1926 1927 ford roadsters.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  29. tinmann

tinmann

I've been waiting for this question to be asked...... but I guess I'll be THAT guy......

Do you plan to fab your own frame rails? Have you got a plan how to do the '32 reveal? Whether you fab your own or buy someone else's rails, I just don't see enough profit at $1800 to make it worth your while. Why not focus on something a few less people are already producing. Perhaps the already mentioned '32 style K member. Tardel makes it but it doesn't even look close to OEM. Go for the OEM look while offering customer choice to transmission mounts. Just a thought.

30. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i was also thinking of building a set of frames for a 26-27 roadster with the looks of a 32 frame. any thoughts on that