Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle my Nova yes/no

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerdaddy1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

I have a very clean 64 Chevy II. This is a post car and a little plain. The stock clip has already been painted nice. I have a nice small block with Super T10 for it. I have bought a very nice clip from B'z Rods. I have the new Speedway straight axle and discs. I am trying to decide which way the car would be more practical. The gasser style looks cool, but im not a hard core drag racer. I like to cruise. Please offer your opinions. The HAMB has been very helpful on other questions ive had.

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The gasser is a fad car,impractical to drive and unsightly to look at.

3. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

UNSIGHTLY to look at?! Really dude?

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

You need to drive a gasser........Then you can make that decision.

5. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Someone needs to get their eyes checked...........

6. kracker36

kracker36

fixed it for ya;)

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the gasser look, but I don't know that I'd wanna drive one on the street all the time. When I was a kid in the early '60s, I never once saw a straight-axle gasser on the street. But what I did see plenty of, were the "jacked up" cars. They still retained their independant front suspensions, but sat fairly high, level front to rear, with the front tires pretty close to the same diameter as the rears. It was a tough look, inspired by the true gassers, but a more reasonable/streetable version.

Edit: I've never driven a gasser-style car, so I shouldn't speak to their street manners. Lots of guys say they do fine. Mainly just suggesting an option just short of an all-out gasser, and more along the lines of what I used to see a lot of on the street.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

People act like they are not drivable, Picture every full size 4wd before 1986, they were all straight axles and had a higher center of gravity and they were all very drivable. Ya they are not porches but still very functional. Now take your gasser, you Will have a lower center of gravity and done right will have a LOT less un-sprung weight. I think if you add an adjustable sway bar so you can tune roll stiffness you will be able to make a very capable street/strip car. Just pay attention to your steering geometry so you don't have any bump steer and you should be fine.

9. mattrod68

mattrod68

gasser, i have and have owned low cars. id really like to have a gasser and be able to cuise without looking at every road for bumps and creeping over every bump. not that i mind all the time but would be fun to have a knock-around straight axle car

plus they are girlfriend proof, dont have to worry she's gonna scrape it or not slow down for speed bumps and driveways!!

matt

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it's got a bolt on front clip !! go gasser ---if you don't like it sell the clip and go back stock---stock chevy II's-don't drive all that good--so get after it

11. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Exactamundo! And on a smooth highway you can't tell the difference between a straight axle and independent.

i think a big key here is caster angle.

12. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Its your call, but if you want to drive it a lot, I would go with the stock or upgraded stock set up. I think you would get sick of the gasser set up quickly...JMO

13. R Pope

R Pope

Anything is better than the stock Chevy II front end! We put a '54 IHC front axle and springs under a '63 years ago. It got driven hard for ten years that I know of with no problems at all. Had a thumpin' big block and Muncie trans, fun car!

14. caster, toe, and bump steer are important and so are springs don't make it too stiff or it will ride empty dump truck and don't make too high and turn it into a street freak.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i drive mine alot ,,took it on hot rod drag week twice ,over a 1000 road miles per event. keith fox did the same with his model a gasser..if it doesnt drive right its not built right....we're talking about cars that are over 50 years old,,,not like they drive like a new lexus to begin with....

16. While I am bored with straight axle cars they are not any more impractical to drive than a pickup truck when set up properly.

Now onto the question, I like a Nova with an independent. Unless i was building a purpose built race car to fint into a scpefic class I would probably go the independent route unless the car had no front suspension to start with and I had all the stuff hanging on the wall. Then I would probably go the malco gasser route with it.

Attached Files:

17. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

You will have a bigger smile on your face when you drive the straight axle car.

Rat Sass likes this.
  18. vega1

vega1

Unsightly to look at WTF ru smoking hoss. I have driven and. Had lots of old iron my drives fines. Will take it anywere

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  19. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

gasser..........rolling sex on wheels

20. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Come on, Let's get started.
    [​IMG]

Rat Sass likes this.
  21. chevy3755

chevy3755

not unsightly to me.......

22. belair

belair

"The Emperor has no clothes" - FINALLY someone is willing to tell the truth. Spend your money on something else.

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Go a different route and leave the IFS front like the early version of Jim Liberman's HERCULES maybe even letter it with A/MP instead of gas.

Attached Files:

24. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

solid axle, not sky high stance is the way I like them

25. This is somewhat true. But that line about them being "unsightly".... man you need to back off from the bottle.

First off, a '64 Chevy II is that style of car that just screams "give me a straight axle"! But they do compromise driveability, ride and front tires.

If you have been driving a 60's era truck around you may not have a problem with it. But if you've been driving this little Chevy II around for awhile and like the way it handles and rides, throw all that right out the window when you put that straight axle under it.

As far as this Gasser thing being a fad, look at the motor vehicle hobby. History tells me that "yes", it's a fad.

How long will it last? Who knows! Are you going to keep the car for another 10-20 years? Does it matter?

I say, what ever floats your boat! If a Gasser look is what you like, go for it, you've got the right car for that. ;)

26. You can be cool twice in a lifetime if you just hold still long enough, once when it was cool the first time and and cool once more when it comes back around. ;)

27. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

28. Ha Ha! You're right!

I remember when Poodle Skirts made a comeback in the late 80's early 90's and now it's Pin-up girls! :D

29. You tell them Beano,,contrary to popular belief straight axle cars are not just a current fad but gained popularity back in the mid sixtys,,and yes on the highways & byways of main street USA.

Right here in Anderson,South Carlina I drove a 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint with a straight axle everyday,there was also a wicked 63 Chevy II,,a early 60's dodge dart with a Hemi,a 56 Ford 2 door post and a Henry J that roamed the streets and drive-in.

All these cars were up in the air and showed that straight axle proudly but they sit level.

To say they weren't drivable is ludicrous,,I just described 5 cars that was seen week in and week out around my area,,so they are nothing new.

BTW,,we didn't call the Gassers,,we called them Hi Riders and if the right car was to come along again I might be tempted to do it again.

Lets see,'54 Ford business coupe,,:D HRP

30. I had a 65 Nova SS with 300 HP 327 and a Muncie 4 speed. The P/O had put 15" wheels on it, but other than that, and a nasty bad engine, it was otherwise stock. It tricycled under hard acceleration. Go with the straight axle, it couldn't handle any worse than a stock Nova. And...you will have better brakes in the front.