Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Deluxe! Nice to get some of those little nagging "issues" that are there out of the way. I know sometimes the little things like bits of rot here and there are worse than getting bigger items out of the way.

2. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Door tops and dash look killer. Have I ever told you that I love this damn car?

3. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks guys!...

it is really nice getting some of this little nagging stuff out of the way like you said Pinstriper.

Today I took a little time and tore into a '36 Ford ignition/ column drop and was able to tear it all down and remove the lock cylinder in one piece, so hopefully this week I can get it to a locksmith and have it re-pin and make a key....hopefully.

Plus I put a few more finishing touches on the steering rig and finished the steering column bracket and mast jacket. Its getting to the point where there is a lot of work being done that just isn't going to be seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. oldsboy

oldsboy

Not much to update. This weekend was spent on the drivers side door, which seems like its been going on forever, but its back together! Just a few small patches to add to it but at least it looks like a door again. Back from the dead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    brEad likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lookin good! It may not run in time but you could always put a plywood top on and call it a high table/low bar for your "event" ;)

brEad likes this.
  6. oldsboy

oldsboy

Well its been a few months, and a long roller coaster with this flathead thing, but I was able to finally pick up my engine from the machinist yesterday. Not much else going on so I thought I'd share some fresh flathead pictures. It finished up with a Mercury Crank and 3-5/16" bore.

[​IMG]
    Everything got hot tanked besides the oil pan...

[​IMG]
    Hardened Seats.

[​IMG]
    The reason it took 7 months. The good ole sleeved cylinder.

[​IMG]
    Rotating Assembly.

[​IMG]
    Mercury Crank.

For the time being I'm in the middle of wedding plans, so this has be put off until January some time, so for now what you see is coated in Gibbs and wrapped up in a bag. Hopefully this should keep it fresh.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome, next summer is looking like a summer of cruising your flathead :)

8. Prisc5idins

Prisc5idins
    from USA

I were not so I appreciate very much what you and your dad had.[​IMG]

9. daddio211

daddio211

Wedding plans? That's HER job! Your job is to build a hot rod!!! :D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Oldsboy.Looking good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Doors look great!!! Nice work!

12. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great job you're doing on this build and sorry about your loss. I lost my dad to the same thing and miss sharing anything to do with old cars with him. Best to you man~!

13. oldsboy

oldsboy

I know it's been awhile since any kind of update, but I've been busy shuffling things around for the big day in September. However it has its perks since I'll be moving into a house with an extra deep garage :).

So since last time I went ahead and had the frame sandblasted so I could finish weld the chassis and begin the long road of metal work. So far I'm about 6 hours in on the metal finishing so I hope its worth it.

I'm hoping to finish up the metal work in the next month or so with the hope that it'll come out with a similar finish to the steering rack. I know its not going to be anything close to professional or bass quality as that's way out of range. Just hoping for something clean.

Freshly blasted frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Shadow Creek, brEad and bryanyeskie like this.
  14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Chadd!

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dig them motor mounts, don't know how you got them that smooth, but they do look awesome!!!!!

17. oldsboy

oldsboy

Over the last year I started building a few tables out of HSS tubing and began exploring different ways to finish metal.

The best tool I've come across is an electric die grinder and a good porting/ polishing kit.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

Lots of time well spent!!!

Did you widen the door tops? Looks like it, that's what I did, sucked but looks better!!

19. oldsboy

oldsboy

Yeah I've got one door widened. Its definitely not a job I'm looking forward to either. I think Im' going to have to widen the top over the back windows as well between the B and C pillars so it will all match.

Again, not too fun... but should be worth it.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

always impressed with your progress Ryan, every thing looks even better in person can't wait to see it shiny and making noise :)

21. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

That frame looks good. I commend your ability to continue forward progress in spite of the wedding planning. As you'll recall, my car was sitting outside rusting away while my wedding was in the works.

I can't wait to see all this in person.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah he picked a good one. While we were wedding planing my now wife was wiring my car for me :)

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

brEad likes this.
  23. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks guys,

Joe I'm hoping to have the frame finished up in time for the wedding to see if it will pass inspection. I have been very fortunate to have a soon to be wife allow me to turn our (her currently) soon to be two car garage into a 3 car with no hesitation...:)

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

I didn't have to do that on mine, I just did a small pie cut on the top section and brought it out to meet the lower section, welded it up. Just make the pinch moulding part straight so the window can seal against it. Least that's what I did!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  25. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Good. I'll bring one of these to stick on your rollcage...

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  26. oldsboy

oldsboy

I want that badge.

27. oldsboy

oldsboy

Almost there, just another progress update, I know but the frame is about 80% there. All that's left are the body mounts (this weekend) and re-do of the radiator supports. Next up I've got some All-Metal ordered to get rid of some of the metal pits and prep for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did want to see what you guys thought of the Super Chassis Black from Bill Hirsch or any other chassis/frame paint out there?

Anyone use this or something similar in brush on form?

I'm looking for a good brush on method as I'm restricted to a garage without a paint booth. Plus it bodes well for the "period" treatment I suppose....

Oh and my Flathead internals/ rest of motor have begun to show up. Updates on that soon, but here's a teaser shot.

[​IMG]

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought that Bill Hirsch stuff probably is as good as any if the resto guys use it. Rustoleum also is a good option and you can get it in a satin and it lays really nice when brushed on.

Hot Rod Flatz also has a chassis black paint if you can spray it which you absolutely do not need a booth for and could do outside.

Here's an option i have just decided on for my '33. I am having it powdercoated satin black after all the frame work is done. The powdercoating will get in everywhere the spray or brush can't and will fill in pits and such pretty easily. POR-15 brushes on beautifully but will turn flat if exposed to the son.

Then I'm going to knock the outside rails down with 320 and mask the inner rails and crossmembers so that I can paint the outers the body color. Just a thought.

29. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Jeffrey, the powder coating is definetly a good idea...just don't know if its in the budget right now.

I'm a little leary of the Rustoleum as far as durability goes...do you know how well it holds up regarding any sun fading or easy chipping?