Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paypal scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Feb 4, 2013.

1. dubcee

dubcee

google his number, same guy same story on a 59 studebaker truck I am selling that was on CL. it is defiantly a scam, I know 3 other people here local that got the same story from the same guy on all different kinds of shit, cars, boats, motorcycles, etc.

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

we have some oil rig workers who buy from us when they are out at sea, difficult to call and they email usally a 1 or 2 days after i send,

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

i agree

4. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I'm sure that one is a scam, but I personally prefer Paypal, both as a buyer and as a seller. As a buyer, the last thing I want to do is send a cashier's check or money order, because you have almost no protection. You may as well send a wad of cash. No guarantee you'll receive what you're paying for, or that it will be in the condition described. Generally if a seller requires a money order or cashier's check, I move on.

I've not yet had any issues buying or selling via Paypal.

For those telling the OP to require the guy to send a CC or MO - how exactly is someone at sea supposed to a) obtain a CC or MO, and b) mail it?

5. I completely agree. I normally like PayPal, I sold parts last week to a hamber using it. When things don't seem right I move on. My point for this thread is I always thought you were protected on PayPal so I couldn't figure out the scam. Now I get it.

My poor father got robbed out of 1200 bucks using a money order. As soon as I get details I'll be asking fellow hambers if they know this guy that screwed him over.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

First I don't say, this in not a scam.
    But scams happens all the time where people buy and sell stuff.
    As a car guy overseas, it is not easy to buy stuff from private sellers, with out useing transaction systems like paypal/creditcard. You must know that we also need some insurance. Then again some won't sell outside the US.
    If you limit your sale to the US you probably miss getting a better price.
    Last, people working on boats/offshore, really makes good money. And with limited access to spend their money, they use the internet and buy stuff:)
    I actually know a guy that is on the big blue sea, and likes to spend his money on car stuff:). Just saying:)

Taildragger&fenderless

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paypal is good!--I use it all the time!---Just make sure you follow ALL directions!
    I send all over the USA & Internationaly

8. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

1) Why even say you are on a boat.
    2) Foriegn buyers can claim non receipt very easy and get their PayPal monies back - but so can US buyers. Even with del con they can claim non receipt of goods and win.
    3) MO's and CC's can be faked too.

[​IMG]

9. turnbull001

turnbull001

When I was selling stuff on Craigslist, I had a guy want to buy it using PayPal. I said to use a money order and he was fine with it. An email was sent to me from "Wells Fargo" that said I needed to send them some money to release the funds. I was texting this guy and even talked to him on the phone. It was a total scam.

10. 73RR

73RR

If anyone offers a money order make sure it is a Postal MO, and before shipping anything, cash it at the PO so they can verify that it is legit.
    All money orders are being counterfeited these days, especially the 7-11 types, but at least if the PO says it is good they give you cash

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

So there is intelligent life on this planet after all

Another one gets it.

12. 100% a scam. And even if you feel it isn't sell it to the next to the next guy. No problemo.

13. Nonsense - PayPal is now one of the largest credit card processor's in the world. They handled transactions for many major companies and have some of the best merchant rates in the industry.
    In fact I can guaranty you that many of you are doing transactions through PayPal every day and don't even realize it.
    The SCAMS come from elements of our society that will do anything other than actually work to make a quick buck

14. If your sixth sense has told you something is not right it likely isn't. Go with your gut filling and pass on this buyer. If I read correctly he wanted to give it to his 'Pastor'? So he's subconsciously given you the idea he is a church going man and a good honest Christian that would never do wrong or scam someone.

Go with your gut, if you thought enough about this to ask...you should pass on that sale.

True what PayPal does when a buyer challenges a charge, it comes out of your account and good luck getting that mess fixed. PayPal will tell you specifically ONLY to ship to a confirmed address to help with fraud.

15. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Exactly ! I'll bring the boxed up part and the MO to the post office. If it's good, the parts get shipped. If not, I'm not out a dime. And paypal isn't going to get a cut of my money. My CC company probably hates me also, it gets paid in full every time I use it, with no interest incurred.

Back to the OP, if the guy is really at sea, have his mom, dad, brother, sister, girlfriend, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, neighbor, or friend, send a US Postal Money Order.

16. I've gotten that same one every time I list a car or bike on craigslist. "consider it sold! I'll even add another $100 to hold it"

I just delete these. :rolleyes:

17. DON"T DO IT!!!! I was contacted with the exact same scam. When I sell a high dollar item (car) on EBAY it is either cash or bank to bank transfer. If they do the bank transfer I open a seperate account and give him the acct number and routing number. As soon as the money shows I transfer it to my regular acct and close the other acct.
    Also, DO NOT take a bank check. My wife has worked in the bank business for 30+ years and says bank checks are one of the most forged things out there.
    Todd

18. that is why you have 1 bank account set up for paypal only. have it tied to nothing else. then when you get the money. go take it out of that bank account. get cash and deposit it into your real account.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wrong. paypal can and will reverse a payment months after the transaction. there is no protection at all with paypal. when I used to sell on ebay I took personal checks and money orders, that's how much I hated that company. they are pure evil, like Dick Cheney.

good advice. cash it at the post office and they can not come after you if it turns out to be fake. I was in the post office once where they knew me from my ebay sales and they told me another ebay seller just left after she came in with a fake postal money order. it was over $900.00 worth of stuff.

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Why do we have scam posts on here weekly? isnt all this stuff old enough that we all know that theres scammers out there and how to spot the obvious ones?

21. Stop reading them if they bother you so much.

22. Phils49and56

Phils49and56
    BANNED

This is a scam, do not send him anything. If he can do pay pal, he can issue you payment through his bank on a bank to bank transfer. pay pal somewhat guarantees payment but there are fine lines behind it and bottom line is that you will have to lose the money on the scam in order to get it back from Paypal which takes months.

23. I sold an off topic at on eBay 2 years ago. $30k to a no feedback buyer. Guy worked on an oil rig. I accepted a PayPal deposit and balance in wire transfer. 25 days after the auction ended I took the car to Port of Baltimore where it went into a container.
    I still get regular updates from Helge with photos of my car. The Norwegian climate isn't as kind for that '68 corvette convertible, but he hasn't noticed.

24. banditomerc

banditomerc

just tell him him ..."get lost"...save yourself the headache.

25. ironpile

ironpile

Not only should it clear the sellers bank but all the way to the origination point .And you cannot be sure even then,theirs so much fraud going around. My 2cents worth,good luck.

26. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

maybe not a scam, but at the very least it's one more level of greed that will never get one penny from me. to many hands out wanting a cut. [​IMG]

27. 5window

5window

Land based relatives or friends. Twice I have put serious deposits down for my buddy who couldn't make contact. You don't have any relatives or friends to stand up for you,you don't buy my stuff,either.

28. I never questioned whether this was a scam or not, just what the scam was. Yesterday I had one that wanted to pay with money order, due to the work they do. Same wording, etc. They are easy to spot, I just didn't know how paying through paypal could be a scam.

29. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. BobMcD

BobMcD

Best practice with craigslist is to deal local in person, cash only. No checks, money orders, Paypal...etc. Flag his email as a scam and move on. There are plenty of legit buyers out there that will buy your stuff if it's priced fairly.