Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Undercut

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. texdesoto

texdesoto

Mid 50's and 60's Mopars bring good money at the auctions, and are damn good looking.

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

I was thinking the same thing....

3. One of my all time favorites Zocchi's 1956 Chrylser Windsor

[​IMG]
    picture courtesy of rikster's site

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

good choice!

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

To be fair, the Avantis probably aren't represented because it is such a unique and challenging design to begin with. Then it is made of fiberglass, so that will cut down on the usual temptation. And the roof being structural pretty much rules out roof work.

Personally I think the front of them is awesome, but the hind end leaves some room for improvement. The back ends always seem high to me and just a bit odd when looking at from the side or rear. Would be a very tough project to take on to try to improve that. And since they aren't exactly just laying around cheap for the taking pretty much guarantees not many will be brave enough to take on the challenge.

Found this awesome Watson image just now that I never knew about before. Nice paint, but no body work except the pipes:

[​IMG]

Here is some interesting design history. Sounds like the "ass-up" stance was intentional to make it look "Californ-ish".
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/studebaker-avanti.htm

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Great thread, Ryan !

Love them '55 DeSoto's ! Very cool...very big. They run on a 126" wb. Almost bought one many years ago.

I've never been into "cookie cutter" cars...always liked something different. Mid-50's MoPars never get enough love. My second car, in 1961, was a '57 Dodge Royal HdTp.

My current '57 Dodge Coronet D-500 isn't cut-up, it's a true Calfornia/Arizona Desert Survivor. A resto-rod in the real sense. The patined body is original,and untouched...way too cool to mess with. But the suspension/front disc brakes/power steering/rear end are out of a '77 Dodge Diplomat. Plus, original Dodge Lancers all-around. Interior is new and from SMS.

The 360 is a rebuilt '74 Dart Police unit, with a mild comp cam, Edelbrock dual-plane intake & carb, headers, electronic ignition, et al. (The original Hemi was trash...not worth the effort or the cash to rebuild it. Block was cracked, etc.) A '62 aluminum Torquflite runs the gears.

And, like Verbal Kint, Zocchi's '56 Chrysler is one of my all-time faves. I have a pic of it from its feature in Custom Rodder on my Fridge !

BTW: I think it was probably the electricians from the Half-Time Show messing with the power grid that blew out the Dome Lights !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I always loved 57 Chrysler 300's or DeSoto Adventurers, and you almost never see them customized I love the HUGE fins and those Big Fronts that just screamed "get out of my way I run this road!" Too many people going original with those IMO.

8. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

The Avanti is a good one. I'd like to see what could be done with the roof and rear.

9. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I want to see a freakin' 40-41 Willys coupe made into a late 40s early 50s styled custom.

Nose up, tail down, nice subtle chop, teardrop skirts, appletons, wide whites, Cadillac hubcaps...

[​IMG]

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The car that shocks me you don't see more of, is the '56 Imperial.

There was a black one in the Hamb classifieds a couple of years ago - factory gray leather, a/c, and of course a 354 Hemi. It was lowered slightly, and the 'gunsight' tail pods were removed, and the tail lights were moved to the area where the turn signals used to be. It was perfect. Perfect!!

Now, I love me some '55-56 Chrysler/DeSoto, but this bigger car really wears the styling better IMO. And it has the great looking egg crate grille that you could only get on a (rare/desireable/expen$ive) 300 in the smaller body. Plus they have those pretty headlight doors they put on the high-end '56 Mopars. Whoa man...

[​IMG]

If this photo doesn't knock your socks off, you must be dead.

[​IMG]

11. alchemy

alchemy

I cut and dressed a '55 Desoto about fifteen years ago. Into small bite size chunks, after my brother removed the engine and grille. :)

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I always like the Avanti but always disliked the roofline, being its a Raymond Loewy design its hard to say its doesnt look right, but it always bothered me. I drew this up a few years back, more of a mustang fastback roofline
    [​IMG]

13. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

beautiful, someone should build that!

14. sled56

sled56

Iv,e had my 56 Dodge Kingsway Custom on the road for 12 years now, when we first built it a lot of people said why bother with something that wasn,t a ford or chev bla bla bla. I have had a ball in this car and I still get a laugh when people ask, what is that? I had a 55 Dodge that I used as a daily driver , 100 mile return trip to work for a couple of years, never let me down. So where are all the other mopar customs?

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

can't believe there are guys who hate football

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Speaking for myself............it's not hate............just zero interest. And that goes for hockey, basketball, golf and double for baseball. Guess I must have been busy elsewhere when they handed out the "sports gene"...........saves me a lot of time and money for my cars, though. :)

Ray

17. Squablow

Squablow

Me too, can't get into any pro sports, including Nascar.

+1 on the need for at least one Willys taildragger, and it has to be steel too, maybe even chopped. I've seen a couple that were cut down into sports cars in the 50's but that's it. It's a tiny car, but if you could get the proportions just right, it'd be killer.

18. Here ya go, a '41 but close enough...

Attached Files:

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Now that's funny! It's amazing how many misinformed know it alls there are out there....

20. autobilly

autobilly

Yep, they already have the teeth... and the hemi!

21. codeblu

codeblu

Back in high school in the late 70's I had a 55 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr....sweet car. All we did was lower it a little bit...left the rest as it was.

22. autobilly

autobilly

A bit O/T, but you just reminded me of many happy memories cruisin' with a Kingsway back in the mid '80's.:)

23. codeblu

codeblu

I don't hate football, just don't see the point. I don't feel obligated to follow sports just to keep my MAN card.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm working on building this at home, a '57 New Yorker coupe. It's amazing how much time and money it takes to build one of these! :D

[​IMG]

25. On super bowl stuff.....
    Tell the cable folks I'll pay twice my amount if they eliminate the football channels...
    On to the tasy Desoto hardtop....In my childhood we had an elderly couple the Fraiziers....[probably my current age ha]....they had one of these cars....It was red and a cream off white two tone......man what an automobile,even as a child it impressed me-that chrome and that sound!!!!!!!!!

26. jerseymike

jerseymike

really glad you bought that riviera ryan. you've talked more about customs since you got that then you did in probably the 5 years before that!

27. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

The late '50's early '60's Chrysler 300's have a wicked look stock, I was watching the old "Crime Story" dvd and enjoying the black ragtop on there recently!! Not enough of those are customized!

28. hudson48

hudson48

Here is a nice one in Aussie Land

Attached Files:

29. Undercut, I had an undercut in the 90s. haha....

Buick '46
    [​IMG]

30. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I cant wait to see that one, i really enjoy everytime i see your wagon around town