Register now to get rid of these ads!

NAILHEAD to Borg Warner T10.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodPunk, Feb 4, 2013.

1. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

I'm about to swap my 350 csb to -63 Nailhead engine.
    Is there anyone who's running a Nailhead 401, and a Borg warner t10 manual transmission behind it? does even the transmission last the big torque from the Nailhead? are the any tips or pointers? Expept that i have to change the bellhouse.

/Martin

2. I have a T10 behind my Nailhead but I haven't run it yet.........I don't see any problem with that trans and the the torque the Buick will make. If it is a Chevy trans. you have, it should bolt up to the nailhead bellhousing.
    The trans I am using is a T10 from a AMC AMX, I had to make an adaptor.......I'm using a Ford FE pressure plate(bolts on the Buick flywheel) and a AMX clutch plate.
    Good luck.........

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed a 401 into my old '55 Special with a Super T-10 about 10-years ago. I went drag racing a couple of times with it and did numerous burnouts, as well as a 1700-mile trip to the HRR in Bowling Green with it. The transmission & engine never gave me a minute's worth of problem.

4. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

What kind of buick flywheel did you use? Stock nailhead flywheels are hard to find, but is there any other flywheels that i can use, since the nailhead have external balanced flywheels.
    Thanks for your time. /Martin

5. HotRodPunk

HotRodPunk

Thats awesome! What kind of flywheel did you run?
    Thanks for your time /Martin

6. Manic Mechanix

Manic Mechanix

I ran a manual flywheel from T/A Performance in Scottsdale, AZ on my 401 Nailhead. However, the T/A flywheel is balanced for a 425 Nailhead. Because the pistons in a 425 are heavier, you will have to have the flywheel or rotating assembly re-balanced. My 401 vibrated way too much with a 425 flywheel. Jeff

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a stock Buick flywheel.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Realize that even if you find an old Schiefer or Weber flywheel for a '57-'66 nailhead, it will still need to be balanced to your engine before use.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Buick ran T-10's behind the Nailhead themselves, so that is not an issue. Both bellhousings and flywheels are available. The engine should be balanced with the flywheel.