Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need some friggin help here!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30modelcoupe, Feb 3, 2013.

1. 30modelcoupe

30modelcoupe
    from Lubbock

I have a 30 model coupe that has been in the family since new. I had the org. 4-banger rebuilt and wasn't happy, so I decided to go with a y-block. I need some help with if I need to just suck it up and buy a new frame or if I should pay someone to box it? I have no welding experience so I need some help.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

id go with a new one at that rate. then you could get it built to your liking. For sure the stocker wont hold up to the yblock. No clue how it was kept (how rusty it is) but nice new metal always makes ya smile

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Let me suggest your decision based on that info? Right.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Get a new deuce frame.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'd buy a new fram and use the orignal to build a speedster

6. Andy

Andy

It is amazing that the car has been in your family so long. I would keep it as is and build a new car to suit your needs. You would really not use much from the old car. I see new suspension brakes steering, transmission and rear end in addition to the new engine and frame. The only thing you would use is the body. Get a roadster body and build a new car. There is less paint and interior in a roadster so cheaper to build and more valuable later.

7. 30modelcoupe

30modelcoupe
    from Lubbock

what a suprise a smart ass comment from somone in Florida.. suprise.suprise

8. chubbie

chubbie

do you want to keep the A frame? because they are so easy to weld up. you don't weld? OK can you make your own boxing plates scrap iron for this is cheap. use a sharpie to mark it out and buy a few extra blades for your jig saw and clean them up with side grinder. bring them to a welder...$300 and you are ready for motor mounts

9. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

Teach yourself to weld! Perfect project to learn on.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

#9--what he said

11. Buy a new frame. They're cheap and easy to get, (especially if you can get to a show whith a vender...no shipping and maybe a Sunday discount) and you'll be miles ahead in the headache column.

12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Did you mean: surprise ?

Based on the limited scope of your question a logical answer is a crapshoot. What do you want to hear? Have someone else build it. Happy?

13. lawman

lawman

I agree !!!!

14. txturbo

txturbo

Wow....somebody needs a Snickers.

15. bgaro

bgaro

you could make your own boxing plates, its easy enough to tack weld 'em with a mig then send it out for welding.

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Another vote on learn to weld. attempting to build (or even modify a car) without basic welding skills is going to get expensive quickly.

Now if you have a buddy that works for beer it might be OK.

17. Hey Nubie,you are on the hamb,,you ask a question your gonna get all kinds of comments,,I don't always agree with SSU but he wasn't that far off base.

You can't weld so the intelligent thing to do is buy a new frame,,btw,You got a problem with guys from Florida?,,:mad: HRP

18. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I would def keep the OG frame... every dent, scratch, and blemish has been put on there by your family member. "its the history" that makes it cool. Any body can go buy a new frame and bolt on some crap. At the end after you replace every thing, all you"ll have is the body. Pull the body off, and pull out the motor and trans... and you'll see its no big deal at all to box it in. I think you will be very happy with it, and maybe it will be passed down to someone else in your family some day.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Hot rodding is cooooool.

Drama SUCKS.

20. I agree with building another car. The original car was in your family from new it would mean too much if it was mine. Unless the car is total junk that needs to be totally redone to even be called a car again, I would just build another.
    Like was said you already need a new frame, new engine, suspension, brakes, trans, etc...
    Just my 2 pennies...

21. kscarguy

kscarguy

Before you go the new frame route, consider the VIN issue. Your model A frame is stamped and titled. A new frame may create title issues in your state.

22. An original A is going to have many issues once a Y block is fitted.

Listen to Andy-a voice of reason

23. I agree with G. G. here. To run any modern V-8 your frame will need to at least be boxed to the cross member and a full box is a better option. If you do not posses the welding skills and are not inclined to learn them get a new chassis built to make everything a bolt in.

If you were closer I would say bring your chassis over here and I would teach you the skills that you need to get the job done. My garage is empty at the moment. But given your location you are probably better off to go with a new chassis.

24. He already has the serial number available,,just stamp it in the new frame,,no problem. HRP

25. Make a rubbing of the original number as well as a good picture and carry them with you if someone really gives you a hard time show 'em.

Anyway stamping the new frame is common practice.

If the car is running now it probably would not hurt to get it titled and licensed now before any alterations.

26. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Lubbock, Texas there should be a welder about every block. I also will have to agree with SSU, more info needed.

27. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Keep the Banger!!!! Saturday I went to several different shops in Orange County & hopped on the freeway and drove home about 30 mile @ 65-70mph. All you need is a V8 carb, an intake, electric fuel pump, & the biggest rear tires you could find.

28. With that much family history I would leave it alone. You might not be too popular with other members of the family if you start tearing up some of the family history. From your profile you look like you are in the under 25 crowd. Your viewpoints will change with time.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  29. Good advice Beano! HRP

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

How big are you talking on the rear tires? I have overdrive and CAN run 70-75 but there are too many complaining noises from the car so I keep it to 65