Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. .

Latest update...

The frame is back at Jo's and we are waiting on some parts to arrive from the powder coaters tomorrow. The quickchange is back up in Michigan getting finished up. It will be taken back to Indy on Saturday. Assembly should be ramping up pretty good next week.

The body hasn't made it into the booth yet. It should be shiny by this weekend.

2. .

The Autorama is 5 weeks from today!!! :eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chassis is back from paint and the powdercoated parts are done.

Final assembly on the chassis has started and the body should be hitting the booth this weekend.

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Yummy.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Joe Kerr Has Some Late Nights Ahead Of Him !!!! Good Luck Joe !!!!

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Is there a pic of this finished on Facebook ???

7. Nope! Car is a long way from finished.

Your probibly seeing a car done by the Austin Speed Shop. I saw that car for the first time during the HAMB coverage of Hot Rod Revolution this year. The chop is similar and they are using the same rear tires I am using, but they will be pretty different when done. I never even knew this car existed before the Revolution and my parts were bought and chop was already done by then.

I guess great minds think alike. Lol

8. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Very nice work on the chassis, But my fav part of this build is what you done with the F100 gear box, It's the same thing I had planned to do on my next build, Beats dropping $1200.00 plus on a schroeder to get a decent turning ratio.

9. .

A few update pics Jo sent at 2 A.M. this morning. Let the final assembly begin!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear end was brought back down from Michigan yesturday so all of the chassis parts are back at the shop.

[​IMG]

First naked view of the V8-60 axle in the chassis. I had left it all wrapped up since I bought it from Couverkid. Me Like!!! :D

[​IMG]

I'll post more as I get them...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I only saw it from the rear and yes its very similair, the push bar looks almost identical !!!

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looking dead cool mate, I bet you can't wait now !!!

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Looks awesome...keep the update pics coming...please!!!

14. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Looking good guys.... Sadly... I won't be able to be there for the debut at Cobo, so keep us posted.

15. Kevin, your killin' me man.

I was totally looking forward to hanging out with you at Cobo.

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Those tires are choice! I love the little mini-nerf pushbar in the rear- both give the car a very pointedly competition look! Not to mention the quickchange.

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Jiminy Cricket, Dave, I'm left speechless.

18. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely beautiful.......subscribed!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking good! Digging those indy tires, they're a nice addition.

20. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Dave,
    The chassis looks killer, I am just curious, Did you do the torsion setup, to be diffren't? or are you thinking the car is going to handle much better that traditional springs?

21. .

Thanks for the support guys.

To answer Cowtown's question on why use the torsion bars, the answer is all of the above.

We chose to do the torsion bars for a number of reasons. When I initially talked with Jo about building the car I told him I wanted to make the car special and different than the typical deuce coupe. I wanted the car to have performance-oriented look and it had to have a certain "edge" to it - much like Jo's own Model A. I didn't want the car being different just for the sake of being different. It had to be very traditional in appearance and built to be driven.

With Jo having experience driving and working on sprint cars, he mentioned he had always wanted to do a hot rod with torsion bars on the front end. I did a lot of research and liked what I found. The torsion bars would be different, provide a better ride and more adjustability than a buggy spring, and be traditional. While some may argue traditional aspect, there are lots of examples of torsion bars being used in the 1950's.

Early on in the build the plan was to go with the torsion bars in the front only. Those that have followed the build a while will have noticed the original chassis Jo made for the car had a Model A rear crossmember and spring. I mentioned to Jo if we we're going to do the torsion bar thing, lets do it on both ends. That's when we kind of got carried away with things. ;)

So, yes I wanted the car to be different, I wanted it to handle better and have some adjustability, and last but not least, this chassis (the whole build actually) has been a great opportunity for Jo Kerr to showcase his many talents. This chassis should really get Jo the recognition he deserves as a top-notch builder. While Jo isn't the kind to toot his own horn, I'll gladly do it for him.

So much for short answer, huh? :eek:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Black, on Black, on Black is so...boring...:D

can't wait to see the finished car...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I can't wait to see this five winder at Autorama. In the meantime, anyplace we can go to see Jo's "A"?

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks completely kick-ass! Nice work! Getting anxious to see that front suspension completed....

25. Haven't you heard Larry - Black is the new black.

Here are some great shots of Jo's Model A.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/1103sr_1930_model_a_ford_coupe/photo_01.html

Here is the roadster Jo built that was a Street Rodder Magazine top 100 car last year.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/1209sr_1932_ford_roadster/photo_02.html

Me too Scooter, me too... ;)

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

27. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I'm hoping this isn't a dumb question...Is it suppose to be slick out or tread out on the 18" indy tires. I eventually what to get a set for my 18" wide fives... not sure which way they go.

28. alchemy

alchemy

Wouldn't it be tread to the left or the right? Looks like right.

Attached Files:

29. bunker hill bullet

bunker hill bullet
    from indiana

Last December while on the Blanket Run at the IMS museum someone asked the question as to why the tires had half and half tread pattern? My dad answered that it was for tread wear indication. So with that being said it makes sense that the tread would be on the right side.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT