Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit Folks Prayers needed for Downriver Legend Mike "Gator" Gaydos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jan 20, 2013.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Gator

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. Wow that's my bud, man he loved that car. It,s my goal to own it one day and put it back like that. That pic was in his living room. The world lost a good man

3. This was Gators car he built a long time ago. He sold it to a guy that did the flat black thing to it and wrecked it. I heard he got it fixed and back on the road. That's a steel T and not a lot on there from post 66. Those front brakes will reside on a Poorboy Bobby Millers 34 one day, so part of it will live on

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I went over one night with a laptop and a scanner and he was cool enough to let me scan about 200 photos from his scrapbook. Set up right in "Gators Room" on the floor, lol. I'm not sure who was more excited, me or Gator, that I was interested in having the pictures. It's like a who's who of Detroit hot rodding from the 50's and 60's. He will be missed for sure.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. 57belair

57belair
    Member Emeritus
    from Michigan

Thanks to all of you guys, who were lucky enough
    to have been friends with Gator. for the updates
    and pictures.
    I am very sorry to hear this bad news. yet another
    loss to our very important car culture.

6. Dave he loved your car and remembers it in its first paint scheme. He was a huge A Bros fan

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The HAMB community was well represented at the service tonight. He will be missed.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

The world of all things Hot Rod and Custom just got a whole lot smaller for me over the last few days,..... Mike was the kind of man that you would do anything for,.... Because you knew he would do anything for you.....

I will truly miss the times at the kitchen table with some seriously strong coffee, Cool old pictures, laughter, jokes and stories.... Little known facts about local cars flying back and forth...... And mostly how he would answer the Phone, A "hello" full of life and anticipation for a wonderful conversation. Followed by "Haaaaaay Dennis,... How ya' doin mannnnnn"....... And after you told him he would say "Kewelllll"

So hard to beleive I won't hear that warm greeting again... or spend a hour on the phone with one of the best car guys you could ever imagine. For those that never met "Gator" you missed out on a wonderful opportunity to meet someone that was equally passionate about Cars and the people he counted as friends......

Every year the roll call gets shorter,.... and the names missing are the ones most loudly heard in our hearts and soles,.... So long Gator,.... words fail to express just how much you will be missed,.... and what a big hole you left in so many life's......

God Speed my friend....
    Yer' ol' pal Dennis.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Really sorry to hear that, got a lot out of what he had to say on here. My dads struggling a bit too. Got home from work, he's home, doesnt say anything of course:rolleyes:, I check my messages theres a message from his Dr. asking me to keep an eye on him, he was in for a check-up today, and hes having shortness of breath, and his blood pressures way low. He had two heat attacks and a stroke two years ago, been living with us since.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

It may sound strange to hear, and it sounds kind of strange to me as I type, but it was the best funeral I have ever gone to. I told you it sounds strange. But It really was. People telling stories, remembering times, admiring pieces of his art that were around the room. it was more a celebration of his life, his work and the way he touched people's lives than it was mourning his passing. We should all hope to be so lucky.

11. I am so glad to hear it was more of a celebration. I spent 3 hours at the hospital on Friday and got to tell him how much he meant to me. I held his hand, I made sure he knew how he influenced my life and that I will always treasure our time together. He smiled at me, I kissed his forehead, and he squeezed my hand. I wish I could have been there tonight to share in Gators celebration , but a can't get out of town meeting prevented that but as I told Mickey I got to say my good bye to him and that is the moment I want to remember him by. Thank You all for going to celebrate the life of a great person that liked everyone he ever met. I am sure many of his life long buds are gonna have a rough time for awhile. He was ,as Dennis said a glue that held so much of the rod and custom scene together around our parts.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This is awesome, loveoftiki. So sorry for the loss of your good friend and mentor. God bless Gator. God bless you. And God bless all those who knew him and will miss him. I didn't know Gator, but wish I had.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

So I guess We as men need to show our love and appreciation to the friends and legends that pass our way. I know it's hard for us as men to tell other men what they mean to us. But its better to be able to muster the courage to let them know how much they mean to you, like a second Father, Uncle, Brother, Mentor or what a special friend they are... than to be standing there someday,.... wishing you had, when it's to late.

The clock keeps ticking guys..........

14. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

tiki sorry to hear of your loss

15. Dennis I was almost in tears at the hospital when a nurse asked if I was a little Gator. Well at 6'4 245 I'm not real little , but Gator shook his head yes. I said I wasn't one of his son's but wouldn't have minded if he adopted me. He got a smile out of it. And you are right about telling those important folks in your life how much they mean to you while you can. Keep your flame lit!