Register now to get rid of these ads!

just got a 47-54 chevy 5 window pick up but no frame what should i go with?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by f1suicide, Feb 2, 2013.

1. f1suicide

f1suicide

just like the title says i just got a 47-54 chevy 5 window pick up cab nose and bed everything even the motor/trans but no frame or suspension so i was wondering what you guys would suggest i saw something on google about using an s10 frame but i'm not sure about the kit and also the straight six and 3spd trans will be forsale if anyones interested

2. f1suicide

f1suicide

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Attached Files:

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

The folks here need pictures of what you have, You also asked the wrong question, S-10 is a bad word here on H A M B,,,,,,,,,, Bill aka Tnomoldw

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:DLooks pretty good, get a frame , get one thats ready for you ;)

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

you prolly should start a new thread, hmmm

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)You prolly should start a new thread. Good Luck:D

7. fnla39

fnla39

Speedway sells a frame with suspension options. You might start checking junkyards, or put a want ad on here or other Internet sites. Using a modern frame has a lot of fabrication and hard to make to look right, IMO. You might check the stovebolt website also. Just out curiosity, how come you didn't get the frame?

8. raidmagic

raidmagic

Lots of guys here have put those on S-10 frames the biggest thing to be about that swap is you lose all the bed depth.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I'm gonna take a lot of flack for the answer I'm about to give, 'cause I am usually one of the very first to say that you want use a stock frame and nothing else. BUT, If I WERE in your shoes with what looks like a pretty clean body, front clip and bed with absolutely no trace of a frame, I too would probably do an S-10. They are so damn common, they are not a horrible little truck to drive and there is an after market that won't quit. There is also tons of info on this sight in a locked thread on doing this swap that would be very much worth your time to look at.
    That said, I'd build it so it didn't telegraph the fact that it is on an S-10 frame. Typical stuff includes front wheels too far back in the wheel wells, beds at odd angles to the cab, cabs mounted too high, clips mounted at weird angles to cabs. The #1 thing I would not do with this deal would be use an S-10 or even late model steering column! i guess what I'm saying is go for it, but pay attention to the details as is so commonly overlooked in this frame swap and I think it will work out well.

10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

You make no mention of the paperwork- some of these were registered by the serial number on the door jamb- some by the engine number. Check with your DMV to see
    what your state laws are- you might want to find a rusty or accident damaged truck
    with clean paperwork than use your parts to fix it. Otherwise look up Flippers thread
    on his s-10 framed truck for ideas. Jim

11. f1suicide

f1suicide

the truck appears to be one of the old navy store trucks i have no idea what happened to the frame and suspension it was abandon at a warehouse and the property manager is a friend of mine so thats how i got it theres no paper work so i thought if i bought and stripped down an s10 i could just keep it titled as that unless anyone on here has a tag and title laying around

12. txturbo

txturbo

I don't know how the law works in your state, but if the serial number plate is still on the door jamb and it were in Texas I would just apply for a new title using the body serial number. I've done it before. Then you would get the correct year on the title. Then I would find an original frame or go S10. Unless I had enough cash to buy a custom chassis. Those options are listed in order of cost.

13. redhumphries

redhumphries

what you have is a 47 to 53 truck if you are going with a stock frame you will need to not I repeat not get a 54 or first series 55 frame. They are different in many ways I know because Im doing a 55 first series truck at the shop now. The customer bought a truck and got a new frame with it. Turns out the 54 or 55 frame is hard to find so we spent a week or two fixing the frame so everything would work. If I had known you needed a frame 6 months ago I would have given you a whole parts truck. Hope this helps RED

14. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

a 73-87 chevy/gmc frame or 88-up frame full size frame

15. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

it is 51-53 vent window in doors

16. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thats not a 1/2 ton model. The frontend is a 1 ton which means taller fenders and longer hood etc.

17. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Great find and best of luck with your build!

18. ...looks like 1/2 ton to me or at least 3/4 to one ton, all of which have the same front fenders and hoods. you got a serial number, that'll tell what size.
    ...the pickup box on the trailer looks like 1/2 from what I can see.
    fender openings on larger than one tons got bigger and hoods were not as tall, but same length.
    if you mesure your fender opening near the bottom, it should be about 36 inches.
    ...good luck with your project.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the vent windows and turn down door handles it is pretty much a sure thing that you have a 51 cab.

Like some of the others I'm not a big fan of pulling a cab off a good stock frame and swapping an S-10 frame under it but in this case it would probably be the way to build a good driving truck pretty simply. There is plenty of info on those swaps on the net.

As the others said we need more photos.

20. Snarl

Snarl

pull down door handles with vent widows was '51 only. Of course, the doors could have been swapped around, so there is no way of knowing what it really is without checking the numbers on the tag.

Looks like a 1/2-1 ton to me also.

full size trucks are too wide, and the S10 is too narrow. Adding spacers to widen out the S10 is hard on the bearings.

Since you have no frame or title, it may be best to look for a '48-53 truck that has a good frame and title, but the body is rotten. You can still find them for under $800 if you look hard enough. Then just swap the body parts around to get one good truck.

21. f1suicide

f1suicide

I found a complete 1950 chassis even with a motor and trans with title for cheap so I'm gonna go with that can anyone tell me if they sell a front disc brake set up for it and also v8 mounts I have a 283 4spd set up for it or maybe even a 409

22. Snarl

Snarl

yes, you can get nearly anything for these. You need to decide a few things first, like 5 or 6 lug, stock or dropped axle, IFS instead, rearend choice, etc....

Using a V8 with the stock steering column is not recommended due to issues with exhaust manifold on that side. There are several solutions out there, but you need to consider this before you go throwing money around.

23. jtbloye

jtbloye

i used a 1987 full size chev 1/2 ton p/u under my it was easy to do my is a 1948 chev 1/2ton i like the way it look and parts are easy to get good luck

24. thats what my buddy uses 89-94 fullsize 1/2 ton chevy frames they work a lot better then them s10 jobs

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a bit late see post #23 that was made several months ago.

There is An AD truck sitting at a Car Lot in Union Gap with the frame you suggested under it that is the most cobbled up mess that I have seen in a long time. It sits up higher than a stock 4x4 and the wheels stick outside the fenders with stock rims.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...Glad you said it!

27. fleet-master

fleet-master

I've been wondering for a while if an early El Camino chassis would work under one of those trucks?

I ask as Holden ute chassis are quite popular here in NZ and in Aussie,although they can look a bit awkward if not done correctly. I put my F1 on one which I narrowed from the F/wall backwards and it's turning out great.

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

I just did some reading and a Gen3 ElCamino wheelbase is same as 1/2 ton AD pickup...