Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old bridge drags,nj

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kidshine, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Yep still here i dont post much bizzy getting the funny car ready got alot of mach racing this summer Dad was cool with his white lether cow boy coat with his welding gloves and bubble shield the good old days

2. tony fania

tony fania

I ran their from 1964 to 1966 in Corvetes my wife was the one when in the powder puff race in my a/sp vette that took off in reverse in 1965 I rfinished up in 1966 with the bm/sp with a 5.2 all I ran for gears was a 4:11 I would hit 2nd right at the finish line. Oh by the way we are married 47 years now

Pete L. likes this.
  3. Old Bridge Drags

Old Bridge Drags

Well it's a little late but the Old Bridge Reunion is this weekend the 6th & 7th. I hope anybody that's local can make it.<O:p</O:p

During the year I found some color slides that were given to my Father that were taken at Woodbine. Here are a few that I scanned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<O:p</O:p
    You'll have to come to the show to see the rest of them.

Unfortunately I will only be at the show on Sunday as I have a previous commitment for Saturday. All my stuff will be there for both days though!<O:p</O:p

32FordWoody likes this.
  4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

wow thats sick!
    i think i may know where the chassis is to that thing. anyone know if that guys form englishtown?

5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Can't make the reunion. I remember the deuce woodie. It was a regular on the show circuit in the mid-fifties. Always wondered what became of it. Thx for putting up old memories.

6. orangenuf

orangenuf

i do know something about 1941 ford pickup, i bought in 1982, still running a hilborn injected 301, now a street rod, still own it today, actually got a email fro nthe original builders, malone & razilla out of union city,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1oIoY721w

Attached Files:

Pete L. likes this.
  7. ken brady

ken brady
    from south

raced a 1949 olds in M/stock, held the record at the time. won little elim. once. good old days. ken brady

8. '65 nova

'65 nova
    from New Jersey

Thanks to Frank Carey and Greg Grotyohann & anyone else responsible for this thread, photos & history lesson. Personally I found race results with guys from my neighborhood (Fords,NJ) to be satisfying. Does anyone have anymore info regarding anecdotes, cars, whatever regarding - Alan Rebeck, Louie Gorfry & Ronnie Anacker? I' a local historian who would like to know.

k-mac

9. yekoms

yekoms

I think that the pics on post 123 are at Convair in PA.
    The woody is the late John Good from exton,PA area. The car was featured in a few magazines at the time as the Hank's Speed Shop car from Berwyn,PA.
    The rail Job is Jerry Trimble In the Cruisin' Crusaders Car Club car from Pottstown,PA.
    Smokey

32FordWoody likes this.
  10. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

For k-mac, the local historian in Fords
    You need to look for info on Matt Herbert. For years he had a general
    car repair shop in downtown Fords,Herbert's Garage, where he built
    and drag raced several cars.
    By 1958 he was racing a roadster with a Buick Nailhead engine.
    I remember this car racing at the old Montgomery, N.Y. dragstrip when
    I was flagman. I think there is a picture of Matt in this car in the recently
    released book entitled simply "SCRAPBOOK" from the publishers of The
    Rodders Journal. He then built a dragster also with nailhead that I remember
    him racing at Island Dragway in its first or second year which would have
    Probably been 1959 or 1960. Matt was a very big guy and had the dragster
    build extra wide to accomodate his girth.

11. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

fellas,

Are there any other pics of this car out there ?

Attached Files:

12. Greg Grotyohann

Greg Grotyohann
    from OBX

13. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Greg,

Thanks for the link, I've seen these pics before and they're really great. I'm looking for others that have yet to be posted. I was informed that the driver of this car was known as "farmer".

14. Pete...I don't have any photos of the Austin, but I do recall seeing it at one of the winter car shows that were held at various National Guard Armory's in North Jersey.

15. Greg Grotyohann

Greg Grotyohann
    from OBX

Yes, the drivers nickname was "Farmer". His real name was Warren Williams and he owned a school bus business that was somewhere near Island Dragway. Kurt might know more about him.

Greg

16. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,

Thanks for the info, it'll give me some direction. Kurt has indeed given me lots of info on the Old Bridge track and the racers, he needs to write a book for sure !!!

17. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I knew farmer well in the late 1950s. At that time he lived on a farm and did indeed have a school bus business there. I was at his farm several times but I remember it being in the Piscataway/New Market area.

18. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

Warren Williams was very active in the 70's and 80's building and racing Jeeps with a group called the US Mule racing team. Since then had built a real nice 30 Coupe with SBF power for his daughter I believe. Was mint green, full fendered, with Torq Thrusts if I remember correctly. Still around, but now owned by someone else in a darker green. Still, I believe, hangs out with the Mule crew, and most have "street rods". Yes, his place was in Piscataway.

19. 5quart

5quart
    from NJ

Hi-- Just found this post-- We measured the strip one night- think we came up with 318 feet- I still have the time slip for the record of 94.75 MPH- with blown Buick- banked track was not the best for direct drive blown cars- ran later with blown chevy trying to break 100-couldnt do it even with changing lanes twice to lenghten the track a little-- best was a bunch of 92s-anyone who ran there fast and often eventually ended up in the wall- pic of car I ran there
    [​IMG]

20. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Any other photos you may have to post would be greatly apreciated...

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  21. 4everblue

4everblue

I'm really late on posting on this thread but what the heck. Old Bridge was "home", I watched the modifieds there for years and drag raced in a number of different classes.

I did the best running this car in K/S. A 140 hp 4 carb Corvair. It was pretty much unbeatable on the short track in class and embarrassed a number of GTO's in time trials. Won Middle stock and Top stock eliminator on a number of occasions. [​IMG]

I had some serious flashbacks reading about "Farmer" He always had the most interesting cars. I remember he hauled some on a converted school bus with a Hemi in it. I remember a really nice Model A coupe with I think a 427 Ford, plexi windows but my biggest memory of him was a T bodied rail with a straight eight Buick and him using a huge brassiere as a drag chute

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  22. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

4everblue,

Never too late, it's a running thread. The Next Old Bridge Reunion takes place
    October 5 & 6 at the THOMAS WARNE Museum Rt 516 Old BRidge, New Jersey.

Your car looks familiar, the many win stickers are what ring a bell. Talk about serious flashbacks, isn't that the Science Dept. on the first floor at WSHS in the background ?
    I grew up in Woodbridge and I remember seeing many of the cars on this thread in and around town...any other shots of your car ?

thanks,
    Pete L.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  23. I'd like to attend this event since I did the sat nite drags there for a few years. Too bad it conflicts with The Race Of Gentlemen, same weekend and I need to see the hot rods and bikes race on the beach.

24. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Anyone remember a 65 Hemi Plymouth that raced there? It was raced by a guy named Don Rogers and had a local Plymouth dealership sponsorship (Gundeckers?)

25. Old Bridge Drags

Old Bridge Drags

The photos are from Woodbine. Here's my analisysis I provided Frank Carey.

Here is a photo of Convair Airport from 1955:

[​IMG]

Note that there is just one large hanger at the top of the photo.

Here is a photo of Woodbine Airport from 1956:

[​IMG]

From what I can tell, they used to race on the vertical runway from the top to the bottom.
    The photos appear to have been taken standing on the left side of the vertical runway at about the halfway point between the diagonal runways.

Now let's zoom in and take a look at some distinguishing features:

[​IMG]

Note the two hangers in the yellow circle. You can see them in this photo:

[​IMG]

You can also see the Tower that is in the red circle.

At first I thought this was the Tower in the "Breakfast" photos:

[​IMG]

But then upon closer examination of this photo, it looks like the NJTA built their own Timing Stand:

[​IMG]

Back to the Hangers. The Hanger on the green circle can be seen in this photo:

[​IMG]
    In this next photo, you can see all three Hangers:

[​IMG]

My last piece of evidence is in the blue circle.

I'm pretty sure it's the Wind Direction Indicator as seen here:

[​IMG]

As for the year of the photos. It has to be after 1954 as in this photo the hanger on the right has yet to be erected:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    32FordWoody and Pete L. like this.
  26. 32FordWoody

32FordWoody

27. carbones

carbones

Does this event still take place?