Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features California Kid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65ssnova, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Sweet ride would love to see it as a daily just like it sits.

2. Tatorboy

Tatorboy

If only they would have done a better job with the movie music. The Cheesy 70's rock was really bad!!!

3. i love DA KID one of 2 famous movie cars id like to clone

i dont think michelle phillps was in the movie she was in hollywood knights with the other car id like to clone

4. The California Kid was almost the end of me. So, there I was, enjoying Americruise one year [maybe the first year, 1993 can't remember] when we all stopped at Slover's Pete & Jakes shop in Mo. for sandwiches and drinks. I was wandering around the shop all starstruck with my brother...had a coke in one hand and a sammich in the other when I wandered out the back door..it opens on to an alley. I took a step out into the alley when I hear this roar and before I could look, my brother [Jangleguy here on the HAMB] grabs my shirt collar and JERKS my stupid ass back in the building! I just got a short view of Pete's eyes as big as saucers while he locked up the brakes on the California Kid trying to miss me.
    Thank God it's got good brakes! I almost went to the big rod shop in the sky that day. BTW, Jerrys is a great place to buy a new Pete and Jakes T-shirt to replacce one with a stretched collar.
    Oh yeah, nice car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  6. Fogger

Fogger

You're thinking of Michelle Pfeiffer, she was in Hollywood Knights!

7. ...I've always liked Jake's coupe as well or better than the "Kid",
    ...how bout you guys?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Both coupes and that T Roadster are perfect IMO, think the full hoods have sonething major to do with it. Are the windsheild posts on the T Roadtster a one off deal, they really look nice. Bob

9. RPL

RPL

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

See post #35.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Man,Rocky, you missed an opportunity there. How many people could have "Killed by the California Kid" put on their tombstone !! You would have been FAMOUS ! :eek::D:D

Don

12. AG F/C

AG F/C

I have seen many nice attempts at repoping the "Kid" but still there is only one.. Nothing wrong with Halibrands but I do like the steel wheel look best..

Sirod2 (Doris 2) is a very cool car with a lot of family history.
    Some time last year the T roadster was handed down to PC4. I suspect it will stay in the family as it well should....

Cool story on the little V6 from Pete is that it came out of a new car that tumbled off of a train car carrier.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Believe they are b...bb.....billet. And we all know that "traditional" hot rodders never machined anything, right? Right guys??:D:rolleyes:

14. ...yeah, I did see that.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

You could have said they were sandcast and we would have believed you. :rolleyes: Bob

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Actually followed it down Rosemead Blvd. one day when I lived in Temple City. Blew me away.

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!!---Thats the one!

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"BINGO"!!----You are correct!---Didn't know how many actually knew about "SIROD"!!:D:D

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Everybody that read the HRM feature about it...

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

While FAB32 would most likely agree with you. I personally have always liked the "Kid" much better from the first time I seem it completed on the cover of the Nov. 1973 R&C,.... I actually like the look of full fenders on a model 40. And I love the look of leaned back "A" pillars on a chopped top. Again it comes to personal taste. ( I had a chopped deuce 3 window in the garage at the time with leaned back "A" pillars and full fenders at the time the magazine came out, so you can see why...... I just love that look.)

21. snelson57

snelson57

I have seen pics of Pete's and Jake coupes a thousand times (I prefer Jakes), but I have never seen that T. Never in my life have I considered building a glass T, but that one has the gears turning.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If "the Kid" had been left all-black with the Halis on it, I might find it harder to make up my mind. I always felt the flames were a mistake on that car. It is down to personal taste, thats a given. Honestly, as far as the overall look and proportions, I'll take Sirod2 over either of them, without even a second thought. The overall look of that car has haunted my dreams for close to 40 years.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We are talking about 3 out of the 4 iconic cars that arose out of the first traditional revival, with Bud Bryans highboy being the 4th. They are all pretty bitchin, any way you slice it. But Sirod2 is my personal favorite.

Attached Files:

24. There was an authorized clone built. It used an Ai Fiberglass body and was created to be used on the ISCA show car circuit. Jack Chisenall @ Vintage Air managed the program and the transportation all around the country.

25. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Pete and Jakes is just down the Road from me and I shot this pic awhile back

Jake

Attached Files:

26. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

"California Kid II" .. taken at 'Andy's Last Picnic'. I don't know the story on this one but he was parked with Brizio & gang

Attached Files:

27. Don't know the story on this on but it was with my Dad's pics

[​IMG]

28. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

About the windshield posts, I can answer that question.
    When Pete was building the car for his dad, Lil' John Buttera asked Pete if he could help out, and offered to make the windshield posts.
    Of course Pete said yes! so John band sawed them out of aluminum and then hand shaped them!
    Lil' John, Steve Davis, Jake, & myself all had a hand in building that car.

Pete Eastwood

Harms Way likes this.
  29. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

Glad you like the 40 year old flame job.
    I striped and flamed Pete's coupe per his request to do it '50's style.
    At the time, resto rods were the rage and nobody was chopping let alone
    flaming their rods.
    I did 3 sketches for Pete of the proposed flame design on tissue paper over a photo of a '34 coupe. The final design which has the flames starting further back from the front of the car was chosen because it had a '50's feel to it and was unique in design. I commented that flames would not becoming from the very front of the car if it was moving, but further back. Plus I put thin white pin striping on the flame edges like in the 50's. Years later, striping on flame edges got thicker.
    I did touch up some striping on the car around 1997 cause in a few places it got thin from years of polishing.
    Also, about 4 years ago I flamed 6 Fender Stratocasters for The Fender Custom Shop to match the Kid.
    Saw and talked to my old buddy Pete (known him since 1955) last week at the Grand National Roadster Show. great times.

Cyclone Kevin and Harms Way like this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I love it!