Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kustom Books on Bertolucci & Hines ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Feb 1, 2013.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'm not the brightest bulb in the fixture, and miss alot, had anyone written books on the work of Dick Bertolucci and Bill Hines?

Both of these gents have had skin in the game of kustoms from jus' 'bout day one, and both are still producing CO2! What better way to learn the real story than from the masters themselves? Sheettt, You talk about The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost, Bertolucci use to work with, and Harry Westergard worked for Bertolucci, and Hines has built more kustoms, and worked longer ( still at it today ) than anyone I know of!

I've seen a few magazine articals over the years about each of their work, but magazines arn't bout real history, but about selling subscriptions or jive swag contained elseware in the issue.

Does anyone know of somethin' I've missed in print on these gents?

Merci

" The ice cream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The only info I've seen has been in the magazines over the years. Perhaps this could be a "wake up call" to some one over at Motorbooks, or one of the authors? If we're talking early customizers, maybe Linc Paola could be in the mix?
    Perhaps a book like Alan Mayes "Old School Customs", but just with the early years guys?
    I'd buy one!
    I've been trying to interest a local East Coast historian into doing something like that for the early customizers here, and he has a photo library to back this effort up. But so far, no go.
    A shame if we can't document this, while some of the participants are still with us to give us first hand stories.

3. As a Detroit guy I would love to see a book dedicated to Bill Hines or maybe a Detroit Kustoms book with Bill Hines, The A Bros, and Dick Dean

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Mark,

The East Coast Kustomizers have a major part in the history of kustoms, but sad that so little of it has been told! I sometime wonder if Bob Petersen or George Barris had been from Nu Yak or Joyze if the history of kustoms woulda played out differently? To this day, there are builds that turn up that ya say " dat didn't come off Alantic Ave. Or Oylimpic Blvd ''.

Motor City and places like Ohio & Kansas, again, history all over the place, but not much of it recorded:(

Maybe a good project foe someone in KKOA or one of the nationals to take on given their contacts:D

" If not now, when ? ''

5. I've been trying to interest a local East Coast historian into doing something like that for the early customizers here, and he has a photo library to back this effort up. But so far, no go.
    A shame if we can't document this, while some of the participants are still with us to give us first hand stories.[/QUOTE]

Maybee a new mission for Rik. I will defenitly by one.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Maybe a new mission for Rik. I will defenitly by one.[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps....if Rik had access to the photos and stories my guy has exclusively.....there is so much that has never been published concerning custom history on the East Coast.
    Rex...much as I like the KKOA (I'm a late model director, in fact) they have enough trouble getting the newsletter out on time, never mind a project as large as a book. I'm thinking maybe "Spike" here on the HAMB...he did a book called "East vs West" that compared coastal versions of rods, customs and race cars, or like I said, Alan Mayes, as he did such a good job on his "Old School Customs" book (which I was priveleged enough to be in!) or my buddy, who definately already has the material (photos), the stories, first hand, and the contacts to bring it together.
    I'd also love one on Midwest customizers....Metz, Starbird (though he's already got his own coffee table book) A-bros, Hines, Clark-Kaiser, etc.