Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Westergard roadster at GNRS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by torchmen49, Jan 31, 2013.

1. I was another that saw the original Ebay listing while it was still active but passed on by.

I think there was something like 40 odd views on it before someone hit the buy it now.

To put it into perspective the roadster was very badly listed.
    It had maybe 3 or 4 terrible pictures which were taken very close to the car in a very dark garage that was full of rubbish that also engulfed the car. The only thing that could be seen from the pictures was that it was an old '32 roadster and that it had that horrible windshield.
    The description was minimal, a sentence or two that was vague and inaccurate.

The biggest point I'll make is at the time the roadster was listed, Ebay was at the height of scam listings.

The pattern for scam listing was to rip off photos of a car from somewhere, put very little description and then put a stupidly low "Buy it now".
    Unfortunatly for those 40 people that viewed the listing and past that auction ticked all the scam boxes, but as we now know it was 100% genuine.

2. chip chipman

chip chipman

The Lazy J race track was built by Dennie and Joe Boune. The boune family is well known in NorCal Sprint car circles. During High school Dennie's son Bill and I was best friends.

3. I love westergaurd's style!! Super cool!!!

4. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I was also one of the guys passing it on ebay... :(

But, as said. It was a terrible listing with some blurry dark pics of some pieces of junk hidden under more junk and a strange windshield welded on. If we've known... :eek:

But what is that top doing on there?

5. Its so rare to see any of his works of art still around the father of all things Kustom.
    a true master whom left us all way to soon.

6. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I see. I was more wondering about the look of it.

7. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

It is an ultra-rare touchstone to one of the earliest customizers who had a huge influence on those who later put customs on the map, but for whom very few examples of his work still exist, and very few photos.
    Restoring it and fixing the smashed tank would wipe out a part of history that cannot be found anywhere else - Not only his work, but his personal car, showing signs of his use in the hobby he loved.
    The Preservation Award is proof that it should be kept as-is. You've done a great thing. Anyone who doesn't understand that, does not have a clue of what they are looking at, or how significant and irreplaceable it is.

8. Thanks again for letting me drive her with my nephew out at El Mirage a few years back. Only 32' I have ever driven and only roadster I would feel right in because it can be driven like it originally was built to be driven. 32 boobs is where its at Tim haha.

Was good to see the top on it in person at GNRS finally. I remember when ya told me about the top and I was skeptical a bit, but it adds to the character and looks spot on!

9. Deuce Bruce Meyer - Perfect choice for your "HOT ROD Preservation" award!

Tim sr Cunha - Thanks for preserving Harry's roadster for future generations to enjoy!

Beppie ts3x65mph Pistone, Karpo Murkijanian, Rik Rikster Hoving, Alex axle Idzardi, Jeff JeffSled Neppl, et. al. - Thanks for the part that you all played in helping to preserve this part of our Hot Rod & Custom history!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I didn't know you were the one building the top. It had a bit of a "modern" look in the pics I saw. The side openings and entire top is hard to build because of the very different windshield, of course. The car itself is fantastic and you have done a perfect job preserving it. The car is in the right hands. Thanks! :)

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I think this makes the car more uniqe, sure it's a Westergard car. But back then he(Westergard) was just another modern-day-car-customizer and the car was just another 32 Ford Roadster. The car was used both on the street as well as at the dirt tracks. Back then nobody thought this thing would be considered as a historical Hot Rod Icon. I`m surprised it survived not being turned into a modern day Hot Rod, be it in the 60`s, 70`s ,80`s ect...Some cars need to be locked up in a garage untoched until there past becomes more significant than what the new owner believe`s it should look like. Isn`t the HAMB about preserving the past. With a dented up gas tank and not to cool windshield frame, These features make it with out-a-dout the Westergard Roadster.

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OcwiojZsVdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Where in the world did sr's very interesting posts go? Deleted? :confused:

14. He gave more info then I would have, there is a bunch of threads already on the board about the roadster.

15. torchmen49

torchmen49

I thought the info was very interesting, he did own the car.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  16. sr

sr
    from Monterey

Weeks do you recall a long time ago when the roadster was at Bakersfield having its fuel issues and we talked for a little bit? Do you remember what I told you?

Dave do you recall at Bonneville when the crew member who was in charge of tools handed me a piece of rubber hose when I asked him for a screwdriver? Do you remember what I said to him?

Well those words are going unspoken right now to someone who is supposed to represent the community of the HAMB. Call me many things, old fashioned can be one, I always heard that if you do not have something good to say, then you should not say it. I am exercising this option, and I wish it was exercised by others more often, especially on forums and threads. Just my opinion, but I am no expert.

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh man, I hope you didn't pull all of those posts because of the video I posted? Only guessing since you called out a "representative of the HAMB community". (I feel like every member does that but &#8211; another topic)

I posted the video about the thrift store Pollock because the number of similarities between the stories are many. (more than I first realized actually) Basically a woman scooped a Pollock from a thrift store for five bucks &#8211; and it's worth millions.

I guess I see it this way. If you own this roadster and know it really is a Westergard car you should watch that video and feel good about what you have. Maybe even vindicated.

Your previous posts had a lot of great info and I wish they would come back.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm totally lost in all of this... Great roadster though!

19. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Same here!?!?

20. I'm with Ryan.....Great old roadster and I like it just the way it is......

21. daddio211

daddio211

Am I the only one who about cried when this roadster first surfaced, wondering why someone would DESTROY a deuce roadster?

Or am I the only one who admits it?

Admittedly, learning the rich history of this car changed my mind about it. I now love it for what it is and stared at it at GNRS for a solid 20 minutes.

I'd never try to duplicate it, but I wish I were the one who hit the Buy It Now button! :)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Giving SR the benefit of the doubt and editing my own post here... He's coming back on.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wow, so bizarre. Beautiful rod, indeed. Hope to see more pix of it.

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

This would be a fantastic thread without page three

25. 1low1954ford

1low1954ford
    from LA

Please don't tell me this whole "$1000 Deuce Roadster turns out to be a Westergard car" story is fake. I couldn't take it. I'd rather just not know the truth.

26. Here are a few more pictures of the car, while it was up here in Mt. Vernon WA having the top built, and the interior stitched up at Cedardale Upholstery.

Fellow Swindler Paul Reichlin owns Cedardale Upholstery and my wife works for him there. Paul built the top and stitched it up (using old material off of a Packard, I think), and then my wife did the seat and door panels in the car. They used some old leather out of an original car for the seat and door panels (a 1936 Mercedes if I remember correctly) to build the interior and give it that original look.

Anyhow, here's some of my photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  27. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I saw this car at the GNRS , and talked with one of my clients who said he now owned it . I've never known him to aquire an imitation for his collection , which is mainly historical .

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As far as I know, there is nothing to say that the car is anything but authentic. I think that's why I'm so confused.

I literally complimented a man on his car and got hit over the head in exchange.

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Hudsoncustom: thanks for those pics! The top looks cool, is it a lift-off, or does it somehow fold? I'm trying to come up with a design for a top for my chopped '30 Cabrio. That one looks really good.

30. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Their was a another roadster at the show that Harry Westergard had influence on. The 1951 AMBR winner. Beautiful car.